• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin How fast does Heroin really decompose in water?

G_Chem

Moderator: OD
Staff member
As the title states...

When I look for research on the matter I find one study that shows spontaneous decomposition of heroin in water to 6-MAM. But states no further conversion of 6-MAM to morphine. That said, they only report for 24hrs I believe and I wonder if they checked any longer past that.

I’m curious for any references or personal data on the matter. In another recent thread one member stated they found 90% heroin content after 3 days in acidic water. (Low ph helping to keep the reaction from reversing, aka morphine coming back into the picture.) Although that info doesn’t really help, and I wonder if said user checked The diacetylmorphine content before he waited the 3 days to test.

If the hydrolysis reaction stops at the mono ester, 6-MAM, then that’s perfectly fine but obviously reverting back to morphine is undesirable. Especially if one has a product like black tar which is mostly the mono ester anyways.

Any help is beyond appreciated!

-GC

I’ve read that diacetylmorphine degrades to morphine after about 7-8 minutes, I will find out the exact time and repost