• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How does one maximize opiate obsorbtion?

also rectal has higher bio availability than oral for a lot of meds
that^^ and also morphine lasts much longer after a good fatty meal (steak, chicken, e.t.c) when taken orally. A few back, a simple 10mg of sulphate had me for 6+ hours, of course I have NO opiate tolerance at all so that played a large factor.
Oh and I hear this grapefruit juice talk but cant confirm.

Any oral medication will onset quicker, as well as utilizing more of the drug on an empty stomach.I would take it on a empty stomach, wait 10-20 minutes later, then pig out!

^I would wait more than 10 minutes... probably about 45. If you are eating something you really enjoy and its pleasurable, it will combine with the peak of the opiate and increase the euphoria... anything like this that works on your dopamine pathways is going to increase the euphoria. This may have very little effect for some or very pronounced for others. When I had less opiate tolerance and I would eat something really good when my meds first kicked in I'd get this nice little temporary euphoria and sometimes even nod out a bit- something that NEVER happens in my usual use of opiates.

Thanks everyone for replying. Can someone please confirm or not dismiss the idea of taking grapefruit with opiates? Also, does tea actually combine with opiates to make them stronger? Or is it just that tea is warm or something?

Also, how could one increase the amount of hydrocodone metabolized into hydromorphone? and what about the amount of oxycodone metabolized into morphine?

thanks

Cimetidine has been mentioned here. I used to be prescribed that, but got a stomach ulcer anyway (long story) what I want to know is, will Lanzoprazole have the same effect? I'm currently prescribed 240mg of DHC, 5mg Valium, 60mg Baclofen, Celecoxib, 150mg Imipramine, and the Lanzoprazole, but keep forgetting to take the Lanzoprazole, plus 10mg tablets of Sevredol to use if I have severe pain. I don't seem to be getting a buzz off any of it. Am I doing something wrong, or am I one of those people who seem to 'block' the formation of Dihydromorphine from DHC in the brain? I don't know if you have the same names for meds in the US?

I'd say...cleverly wrap said opiate in more opiates. I think that would increase something.

oh ya, also some like benzos, or antihistamines, or grapefruit juice(select) to potentiate

Cimetidine has been mentioned here. I used to be prescribed that, but got a stomach ulcer anyway (long story) what I want to know is, will Lanzoprazole have the same effect? I'm currently prescribed 240mg of DHC, 5mg Valium, 60mg Baclofen, Celecoxib, 150mg Imipramine, and the Lanzoprazole, but keep forgetting to take the Lanzoprazole, plus 10mg tablets of Sevredol to use if I have severe pain. I don't seem to be getting a buzz off any of it. Am I doing something wrong, or am I one of those people who seem to 'block' the formation of Dihydromorphine from DHC in the brain? I don't know if you have the same names for meds in the US?

Someone asked how to poteniate opiates;
I know a good deal of pharms, but i dont know how much info youll get on Lanzoprazole, severdol, celecoxib ect... ask a Doctor, they have white coats sometimes, and an office.

Or you could just ask us about your medication regimine...lol

Thanks everyone for replying. Can someone please confirm or not dismiss the idea of taking grapefruit with opiates? Also, does tea actually combine with opiates to make them stronger? Or is it just that tea is warm or something?

Also, how could one increase the amount of hydrocodone metabolized into hydromorphone? and what about the amount of oxycodone metabolized into morphine?

thanks

Grapefruit juice inhibits the same enzyme as Tagamet. You want white grapefruit juice.

I don't think there's an easy way of doing either of the other things you ask. The enzyme that does hydroc -> hydrom is CP450 2D6. You want inducers of that enzyme, those include rifampicin (very common antibacterial), dexamethasone (you may have some of theis if someone you know was treated for glucocorticid imbalance) and others. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CYP2D6 Oxycodone -> morphine is more than one step, plus oxymorphone is much more potent than morphine so you'd want to induce the oxyc -> oxym conversion. This is done by the same enzyme, cytochrome P540 2D6.

I am a strong believer in taking about 8 ounces of grapefruit juice prior to chewing up the med and wash it down with another cup of juice.
I have always been told that the juice temporarily reduces the acidity level in your stomach. This allows for more of the drug to be absorbed in the stomach instead of the strong acid in your stomach breaking down some of the active ingredient.

I can definitely feel a big difference vs taking the med with any other liquid.

I've heard grapefruit juice. It doesn't increase absorption but it's a potentiator, and I think that's what you're looking for (more bang for your buck).

When you have morphine in any pill form, crush it up, add 3-4 ml water and then plug with oral syringe... best choice hands down if you dont wanna IV... about 55-60% uptake (it feels like compared to IV).

Hey i just slammed 60 mg of IR morphine hcl up my butt and 1 hour after i feel great :D

yes, grapefruit juice (white is the best and never from concentrate) does work for potentiation except for codeine in which case you will dramatically inhibit its effects.

Quercetin and a number of other flavenoids in grapefruit juice are inhibitors of CYP2D6 and CYP3A enzymes that catabolize opiates during first pass metabolism.

Anything that inhibits these enzymes will potentiate i.e. Cat's Claw, Goldenseal, Tagamet, Quercetin etc etc etc

There is a good megathread on potentiation...you should check it out.

i have noticed that if i take them on an empty stomach i get real high but for a short amount of time then i feel sick and hungry. the best way for me is to wait exzactly an hour after my last bite of food. when i was on hydros real bad this was a rule i lived by. Even though the more and more i think about it maybe it was the start of OCD?!?!?!?!

Eat pills on a completely empty stomach and make sure to crush them before taking the pills.

I guess my question falls along these lines. I don't need the high to be "higher" just longer. Due to my doc, my opiate of choice is percs(10) Ofc in the beginning I could pop 30 mg and jam out for 3-4 hours. Now I pop 50 mg to get the same initial hit but it last way shorter. I have tried grapefruit juice, but that was also the first time I ever plugged the percs. So I have no real way to know. I have started taking a phenergan with each dose. I know this does more for the high, as the nurse told me so, but that was combined in an iv so not sure if it works as well just chewing it. So, is potentiating the same as trying to extend the length or is there another way to make that happen? A 1 hour buzz for 5 percs SUX.

Last edited:
Medic11 - "grapefruit juice (white is the best and never from concentrate)"

That explains alot. I tried some white grapefruit juice (from concentrate) and I didn't notice a damn thing. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Well I am not a doctor or chemist, but I can tell you from personal experience, that grapefruit juice is a good way to enhance some drugs, but not all and that is key. Like, it will definitely work for valium, even says so as a warning on my bottle label, and it seems to do the same thing with a few other drugs, like Soma, but I really cannot say that it helps potentiate any other drugs any better, and as far as Tagamet--yes, but only on certain drugs, not all. Like I was totally surprised by what happened one day when I had severe indigestion, and I took a tagamet, and about an hour later, had just received some Soma and took my usual 4 or 5 and man, was I sorry I had taken that many THAT day. I was falling over the place, stumbling, and eventually passed out for about 3 or 4 hours. AND that had never happened before with only 4 or 5 Somas. That many is usually just a TEASER for me, if I really [/COLOR]want to get wasted on Soma, it takes way more than that, but that day, it had to be the tagamet I had taken about an hour before.

Someone in here said something about smoking. As a smoker myself, for over 30 years, I cannot honestly say that it enhanced my reaction to pain meds, but it sure did increase my craving for a cigarette so badly that I could hardly wait to get outside so I could light one up. It is common knowledge amongst the medical field that smoking and using BENZOS, WILL definitely DECREASE the effects of certain benzos, but not enhance the effects at all. Maybe that works differently for pain meds but not for benzos.

I just use the old grapefruit and tagamet tricks for all controlled drugs I get, just to see what happens, nothing really all that dramatic has happened, except with the Soma that day I had taken tagamet.

Wjen I run low on my oxy contin , I take one of the small bottle of tonic water , about 4 or 6 oz , and fill my glass up with ruby red grapefruit about an hour or two before pill time , empty stomach other than the drink , then instead of the 12 hour pill I just take half the amt of my oxycodone breakthrough pill and it knocks the hell out of the pain , fuzzy feeling lips , nodding , and so on.. also if you smoke , don't smoke for 2 or 3 days , and only smoke after the fuzzy tingling teeth and nose and eye brow itch start.. and it will make you definatey sit down.. but be very carefull , I have been on these for over 10 years now after a multilevel neck fusion from a few discs extruding , long lasting nerve damage, so I have a hell of a tolerance , wjen doing the tonoc and grapefruit juice 20 to 30 mg of fast release knocks me weenie to the side , where without grapefruit and tonic it takes about 200 mg to get in that state of buzzedness

FATTY MEALS HAVE INSANE OPIATE/OPIOD BOOSTING AFFECTS.
I discovered this by accident. I took oxycodone like normal, and my normal dose. Then I ate a sausage biscuit, and suddenly I got hit HARD. I was like whoa, wtf, why did me eating make me feel it 2-3X more??
Then I googled it and saw basically ALL opiates/opioids are heavily boosted (they claim 30% peak plasma level boost, but I think it's much higher)
Then a few times I noticed that if I took an oxy/hydro with no food I wouldn't feel it, and would go through WD!! One time I didn't have food with me, so I took another. I was still in minor WD. So at 2x my normal dose it still hadn't fully worked.

Then later in the day I took the same dose, this time with a small fatty meal/snack. It instantly knocked out WD with 1 pill and felt normal...

In fact if I don't eat I go through WD, EVERY SINGLE TIME. I know because I do it often **hoping** I can train my body to make it work, it doesn't. My body has become used to that 30% ++ plasma level increased. If I don't get it, I go through WD... so now I have to eat, constantly!