• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How does mescaline compare to other phenethylamines?

Hmm yeah I fully I agree it's so unique! But also that for me pure synthetic mesc was not fully psychedelic like most 2C-X or 4-sub tryptamines. Maybe a little more like a calm 5-MeO-DMT in some ways. Visionary, and unexpectedly deep and transformative and also with an empathogenic side which goes far beyond the potential of MDMA but without the euphoriant drive of MDMA. Yes mesc is pleasant but more therapeutic than pleasant I would say.

Depending on the sort of cactus, it's alkaloid mix may be quite a bit different from pure mesc. I haven't tried it but probably often more psychedelic and potentiating, perhaps like adding a MAOI and I do believe quite a good portion of the modulation of the effects may be from at least competitive MAOI.

I was hardly ever a MAOI liking person and I don't know if I will be in a place in my life where I want to take ayahuasca / pharmahuasca, but I love mescaline and want to stretch what I have throughout my life and save it for moments close to events or periods which mark a transition in my life. I just feel like it has such great potential to be of spiritual visionary guidance because that is what it does most for me above anything else. And if I would experiment with MAOIs again it may actually be to potentiate mescaline a la cacti, esp such as Bridgesii.

I also grow Bridgesii but am a long way off producing and yielding any really, but give it time.

Esc and Prosc interest me to try, although I feel like they may be more recreational, not sure.

Mescaline...has an extremely empathogenic feeling that provides a feeling of interconnectedness of all life. It is subtle yet highly powerful. Etherally beautiful and glorious. One of the best teachers I've ever been graced to have and I've had many...It's got bits and pieces of many psychedelics. Very introspective and deep like 2c-E but in it's own way. A more natural feeling MDMA love. The interconnectedness and very clean euphoria like LSD. The senerity of DMT. All in it's own way though. It's very easy to extract and I enjoy extracted mescaline more than the synthetic. The addition of other cactus alkaloids seems to certainly add more character IMO. A very meditative zen state. With cacti and the proper tools you can never really miss out if your willing to put in some work!

This is my experience, too. I also prefer concentrated cactus tea to purified mescaline. In my limited experience, I find San Pedro to be more clarifying, empathogenic, and healthy feeling than Achuma, which I find to be more strongly psychedelic, deeper, darker, and more like a moldering tryptamine psychedelic. That could be confounding variables like alkaloid ratio, the dosage variability, set/setting, RIMA activity, etc.

More than the empathy, the tranquility, and the clarity, it is mescaline's remarkable feeling of healthiness that I feel sets it apart from all other phenethylamines - hell, all other psychedelics. I'm mystified that given these properties, history of use, safety, and research background it is not at the forefront of research into psychedelic therapy. The spirit and psyche cleansing feeling lasts for weeks or months afterwards for me. Mind you, I usually feel hollowed out and utterly enervated during the two hour comeup.

The only two PEAs that I personally found to reflect some of mescaline's glory were methallylescaline and low dose 2C-T-2. The former was like a cloudy version of mescaline that was a little shorter and which did not feel health - supporting. The latter felt like a more grounded, unspiritual material with unfortunate body tension, but shorter acting and with comparable depth, emotionally, and therapeutic potential. It's in my magical quarter dozen, but YMMV.

I can't compare the other 'scalines or the TMA series, but none of the common 2C-xs, 2C-T series, bk-xs, or DOX compare for me. Honestly, some of the more psychedelic benzofurans are more similar than the 2C-xs. I've heard that cyclopropylmescaline is close, but good luck finding it.

I don't think you missed out. You're just one cactus tea reduction away from getting to know this magical teacher. Now if only someone could do something about the nausea...

Last edited:
Man you know I never really gave it much thought but you would think they would at least try to incorporate mescaline into the medical studies as another possible treatment. It's very healing and emotionally opening.

I absolutely love the experiences i've had with san pedro.
Definitely unique to me, in the sense that i think LSD and mushrooms (the other 2 classic psychedlics i'd rank mescaline alongside) have - to me - some vague similarities:
When i first tried shrooms, it was sort of familiar, because i'd taken acid previously.

But mescaline reminds me a little more of MDMA - it has a warm euphoria and empathogen feel that is unique, and the visuals are a little different too.

Of the RC phen psychs i tried, i'd probably say MAL (methallylescaline [sp?]) was the closest to mescaline - but far more visual, and probably not quite ans comfortable, at least in my experience..

I don't think you missed out. You're just one cactus tea reduction away from getting to know this magical teacher. Now if only someone could do something about the nausea...

Odansetron should help with the nausea. Wouldn't cut out the gag-reflex from drinking the bitter, bitter tea though.

Actually, once it's down, I've never had a problem with nausea and cactus. I've always eaten the flesh straight up. It's a bit hard to get down, but once it's in, my body doesn't reject it at all.

Man you know I never really gave it much thought but you would think they would at least try to incorporate mescaline into the medical studies as another possible treatment. It's very healing and emotionally opening.

I think one of the challenges with psychedelics, and mescaline in particular, is that the drug lasts so long, which gets expensive/time consuming in a medical setting.

Odansetron should help with the nausea. I've always eaten the flesh straight up. It's a bit hard to get down, but once it's in, my body doesn't reject it at all.

Wow, you're lucky there! I can hack bridgesii flesh, but I can't eat enough pedro or torch. Ondansetron would definitely help if one had access to it. I get some nausea from both encapsulated mescaline and MAL, but very little if I've preloaded with 5-8 drops of lemon essential oil fwiw.

I think one of the challenges with psychedelics, and mescaline in particular, is that the drug lasts so long, which gets expensive/time consuming in a medical setting

I think you hit the nail on the head there. It's a true shame if that's the reason one of the best medicines out there has been overlooked.

The duration of mescaline is one of the best things about it in a recreational setting though, i reckon.

Sort of like MDMA that lasts way longer.

I'm not that experienced with it, but i've never experienced anything close to fear or anxiety on the pedro brews i've had.
Unlike the challenging nature of some psychs (mushrooms for instance) i've never had the impression that i could be about to have a difficult time.
I've taken a pretty high dose before (2.5 - 3 feet fresh san pedro, to give an imprecise measurement) but i'm not sure how it compares to "strong" mescaline trips, as it felt gentle and friendly - no rough come up that i remember either.

I have 4 pretty nice san pedro specimens on my front porch, but none that i'm anywhere near resdy to havest yet.
I love having them around anyway though - they're beautiful and i love watching how fast they grow.
A couple of my well established ones grow about an inch a month over summer.
I had one with multiple stalks once which grew something like 3 doses in a single year once. They're a great plant to grow if you iive in the right climate.

how large are the pots theyre in? I left three 1ft beauties when I sold my house sadly...

The duration of mescaline is one of the best things about it in a recreational setting though, i reckon.

Sort of like MDMA that lasts way longer.

I'm not that experienced with it, but i've never experienced anything close to fear or anxiety on the pedro brews i've had.
Unlike the challenging nature of some psychs (mushrooms for instance) i've never had the impression that i could be about to have a difficult time.
I've taken a pretty high dose before (2.5 - 3 feet fresh san pedro, to give an imprecise measurement) but i'm not sure how it compares to "strong" mescaline trips, as it felt gentle and friendly - no rough come up that i remember either.

I have 4 pretty nice san pedro specimens on my front porch, but none that i'm anywhere near resdy to havest yet.
I love having them around anyway though - they're beautiful and i love watching how fast they grow.
A couple of my well established ones grow about an inch a month over summer.
I had one with multiple stalks once which grew something like 3 doses in a single year once. They're a great plant to grow if you iive in the right climate.

Unfortunately in the PNW cacti certainly do not grow well :\

I want to understand precautions I can take to make sure my experience isn't a dud. My friend who I mentioned the idea of making a camping trip out of the experience mentioned that a couple years ago two of his friends attempted it at a festival and it didn't really work. Not much detail here, but they basically just processed the cactus how they thought they were supposed to and consumed whatever the result was and it was a huge dud.

Is it mainly just that n00bs screw up the incredibly simple extraction method? Or that they acquire cactus thats old/degraded? Or the concentrations of psychedelic compounds in cacti simply vary so much that its kind of a crapshoot?

Unfortunately in the PNW cacti certainly do not grow well :\

I want to understand precautions I can take to make sure my experience isn't a dud. My friend who I mentioned the idea of making a camping trip out of the experience mentioned that a couple years ago two of his friends attempted it at a festival and it didn't really work. Not much detail here, but they basically just processed the cactus how they thought they were supposed to and consumed whatever the result was and it was a huge dud.

Is it mainly just that n00bs screw up the incredibly simple extraction method? Or that they acquire cactus thats old/degraded? Or the concentrations of psychedelic compounds in cacti simply vary so much that its kind of a crapshoot?

If you do extract it down to salt, then I dont see how it will be a dud, you can measure the crystalline powder precisely and dose as much as you need to. If, on the other hand, you make a brew, there is no way of even guessing how much of active alkaloids it might contain. I have seen huge ones yielding very little and some Bridgesii that had really quite a lot so I do not like to use the size of the cactus as a main factor for how strong the trip will be.
Cactus extraction is simple (plain A/B extraction from the point where you get your "tea" concentrated and filtered down) but very time consuming. Please be careful with all the chemicals you might be using and always wear eye protection, gloves etc and work with sufficient ventilation. Dispose of used solvents properly too, dont dump it in the toilet!

Mescaline is a very unique, clearheaded, surprisingly deep and visionary psychedelic. But it certainly doesnt feel very light on the body - with sufficient dosage you will throw up (unless taking 5ht-3 antagonist) and you might have a complicated come-up. Takes few hours before you can reach that euphoric long lasting plato that is such a signature of M.
Lately I started taking Mescaline with Harmala alkaloids (MAOI) to save the precious extract and it actually feels even nicer so I recommend this method for experienced psychonauts, definitely will advise against such combo if its your fist time with Mescaline or MAOI.

Escaline felt the closest to Mescaline experience from what I tried but I agree with other posters that said that M is all-inclusive psychedelic and has elements of all of them in a way.