• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc How do you take gabaergics without being terrified of possible addiction?

niwkkie

Greenlighter
I wanted to try baclofen but got scared again because it is a gabaergic.

I have always been too scared to take them for the fear of the apocalyptic withdrawals I read about.

Isn't it like walking on the edge of a cliff where one misstep and you fall?

I am a hypochondriac and so ironically although I bet gabaergics could help keep my ocd thoughts on a leash I am also terrified to try them.

I am not an abuser of substances but still the reading of the withdrawals scares the shit out of me. Even though kratom is addictive and I take that I always thought at worst if I became addicted the withdrawals were said to not be that bad but not so for gabaergics.

Sporadic use such as one to two days a week will not put you in any danger of withdrawals of any kind. It sounds like you have an iron constitution so you seem less prone to problems.

My concern is the idea that if something works then you will be more likely to take it more often and get into a habit of carelessness taking more of it.

But having said that I have found a 'set point' with kratom and have had no desire to take more except a tiny bit (+/- 100mgs) when my tolerance goes up but if it starts to become diminishing returns I take a break.

It's on you really, if you feel the therapeutic value is worth the risk then proceed slowly. It sounds like you are not reckless or careless in the slightest. I'm assuming this is prescribed as well which gives you another safety net as you can tell your doctor if you feel you are losing the ability to control your intake properly.

Depends on how you define addiction like if I stopped my Adderall all at once I'd feel tired and horrible but I never take more then prescribed

So is your definition of addiction
A. Dose escalation
Or
B. Withdrawal if stopped cold turkey
Or
Something else without a clear definition of what you feel addiction is it's hard to say

Im talking only of physical withdrawal.

I have taken plenty of amps in the past no trouble with usage there.

well I guess I am also talking about psychological addiciton as well cos that will necessitate physical withdrawal. Ie if you are psychologically addicted then you wouldnt take the drug till you got physically addicted.

Well they're quite intoxicating, that helps with the terror

OP, take only what you need, when you need it. Discuss this issue with your doctor. If you use any GABAergic, the slower and longer the taper, the better. Also, try not to get a pre conceived fear of a medicine before you use it (there are exceptions). If you use it as directed, your eventual withdrawal should be easer on your mind and body.