• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☮ Social ☮ How do YOU feel about Leary, the McKennas and Shulgins, RamDass/Alpert, Kesey, etc.?

Also, Terence McKenna's end of the world / Mayan calendar prediction for the year 2012 was obviously some horseshit… I'm just saying.
Leading up to 2012 I really thought all the Mayan calendar and Timewave Zero stuff was obvious bullshit, same old end-of-the-world crap we lived through for Y2K and has been proclaimed forever. But in retrospect I do wonder if it might end up being metaphorically true. Maybe 2012 was peak civilization and we've been on a downward slide since. A dismal possibility I've been considering lately. It all depends on perspective of course. Biologically, the earth has probably been past peak life diversity and abundance for a while longer. Computationally, we ain't seen nothin yet.

Hoffman had recurring dreams about LSD-25 for five years during WWII in Switzerland before finally trying it himself and immediately seeing the potential.
I've never heard about these lucid dreams. Did he mention that in "Problem child"? It sounds like a very cool part of the story.

how a civilisation like the Mayans could understand how the world would grow is beyond me and beyond logic.

we are what we are mainly due to airplanes and massive shipping.

they could not see these things happening or the amount of people on this planet at the moment.

so I must say the idea of the mayans predicting what is going on now is not really possible.

might as well attribute the reason you fell down some stairs to a tarrot reading.

after all no one knew how big the world was back then or how many continents there were.

I mean, you know what they say: even a broken clock is right twice a day. Cast enough prophecies of the apocalypse and one of them could be right.

Or maybe there's magic and they could see it coming.

Or maybe it's all bollocks and everything is just in flux as it always is, always has been, and always will.

I think your on the mark its just all chaos and were trying our best to make order from it.

When it came to acid chemists in the sixties, two important figures seemed to have murky connections : Owsley Stanley and Ronald Stark.

For the first, his grandfather was a member of the Senate and had been governor of Kentucky.
Owsley ("Bear") served in the Air Force before getting into acid manufacturing, he would have found the formula for LSD in Berkeley and a few weeks later launched the production of methedrine to finance his future LSD lab. The police raid and he hires the vice mayor of Berkeley as a lawyer and will be released (the cops will have to return all his equipment to him).

Much more info about him in this article :

Ronald Stark (apparently his real name is Ronald Shitsky) was connected with the Brotherhood of Eternal Love and the conclusion of an Italian magistrate investigating him is... that he was an agent of the CIA.

A disturbing passage from the chapter 25* of the book on the "BrotherHood of Eternal Love" :

"A fresh police investigation was opened and, in October 1978, Stark was charged with 'armed banditry'. Despite a charge bordering on terrorism, seven months later he was a free man, released on parole and living in Florence. The magistrate who gave him parole said: 'Many circumstances suggest that from 1960 onwards Stark belonged to the American secret services.

Which of the Italian lawyers was right? Was Stark, during his years in the drug world, in reality an American agent? Was he feeding back intelligence on the counter culture which the federal agencies were desperate to infiltrate in the late 1960s and early 1970s? Or could he have been a banker investing and transporting money destined for 'black' operations beyond the drug world?

On more than one occasion Stark let slip hints of connections with the espionage world. There was the story about working for the Defense Department, and another that he closed down the French operation through a CIA tip. He began work with the Brothers at just the time when they were involved with the Weathermen in the United States. Equally timely, he was in Paris during the May 1968 riots and haunted the radical fringes of London in the early 1970s, when there was yet another curious example of his interest in radicalism/terrorism.
Two American journalists were working on a feature for Frendz magazine, an anarchistic offshoot of Rolling Stone, on Belfast violence. A rising Provisional IRA man, James McCann, obliged them with copy by trying to firebomb part of Queens University in the town. McCann and the journalists were arrested. The latter were eventually released -but not before a surprising intervention by Stark, who took their London lawyer to lunch at the Oxford and Cambridge Club to discuss their Plight, offering to pay their fees and bail.

In fact the meeting did not lead to anything, but Stark had taken a great interest in Frendz, which was deeply involved in revolutionary politics and was something of a clearing house at the junction between drugs and the other sides of the underground. Stark's interest in McCann certainly contributed to an interest in the American himself by MI5. When Lee began searching for Stark, he found the secret service had been there before him. For McCann, having escaped from jail, set up as a cannabis dealer in Holland to supply the IRA with money for guns. One of the men sent by the British to find out more about him was a former Oxford student called Howard Marks. Perhaps it is only coincidence, but Marks, who set up in his own right as a cannabis dealer, was eventually arrested after dealing with the remnants of the Brotherhood in California.

Stark is one of the figures in the story of the Brotherhood whose origins do not link directly or tenuously back to Millbrook. When the DEA were putting together a case against Stark in 1972, they had great difficulty in pinning down his personal details and were never able to get his FBI file from New York. Their reports in California and the details passed on to Europe only showed what Stark was not, not what he actually was.
The silence was finally ended late in 1982. Stark was arrested in Holland on a charge involving 16 kilos of hashish. In the summer of 1983, he was released from custody and thrown out of Holland where he had claimed to be a Lebanese bound for New York. He was arrested on arrival in the United States on a passport violation and DEA agents began to reconstruct the original San Francisco LSD case against him. They found it impossible to do so after such a long time and Stark was released."

* https://www.druglibrary.net/schaffer/lsd/books/bel4.htm

I think lesary was cool at first but as he progressed and his books were getting weirder and weirder. He was cuckoo as fk from too much acid.
No, just cuckoo. Had nothing to do with the acid, let's not malign the good name of Lysergic Acid Diethylamide, please. Leary did enough of that on his own inadvertently. And anyway, otherwise @TripSitterNZ, @AutoTripper, many other acidheads, and I myself would all be cuckooAF by now ;) What can I say? I love LSD.

John c. Lilly is a good example of what ketamine abuse can make u think as well.
What do you have against Lilly? So he tried to communicate with dolphins, big whoop, haha… No but really, Isaac Newton sought the Philosopher's Stone thinking he could transmute lead into gold b/c he was an alchemist. Doesn't invalidate Newtonian physics nor his calculus proofs…

Similarly, Lilly invented the isolation tank and popularized Ketamine. Plus indirectly lead to the Douglass Adams' classic So Long and Thanks For All The Fish, a part of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy books.

No, just cuckoo. Had nothing to do with the acid, let's not malign the good name of Lysergic Acid Diethylamide, please. Leary did enough of that on his own inadvertently. And anyway, otherwise @TripSitterNZ, @AutoTripper, many other acidheads, and I myself would all be cuckooAF by now ;) What can I say? I love LSD.

What do you have against Lilly? So he tried to communicate with dolphins, big whoop, haha… No but really, Isaac Newton sought the Philosopher's Stone thinking he could transmute lead into gold b/c he was an alchemist. Doesn't invalidate Newtonian physics nor his calculus proofs…

Similarly, Lilly invented the isolation tank and popularized Ketamine. Plus indirectly lead to the Douglass Adams' classic So Long and Thanks For All The Fish, a part of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy books.
I got nothing against em or any kind of prejudice but FUCKING EXCESS makes you do crazy shit.

Fair point on @AutoTripper btw xD my mate would be fking fried by now but he's actually one of the most articulate persons ive ever met.

Leading up to 2012 I really thought all the Mayan calendar and Timewave Zero stuff was obvious bullshit, same old end-of-the-world crap we lived through for Y2K and has been proclaimed forever.
Yep, going back to Nostradamus and even further…
But in retrospect I do wonder if it might end up being metaphorically true.
I imagine if we really want it to be "metaphorically true" we could arrange some facts and figures to attempt to bolster the claim. In my opinion, a metaphorical eschaton does not count.
Maybe 2012 was peak civilization and we've been on a downward slide since. A dismal possibility I've been considering lately. It all depends on perspective of course.
Yeah it's just opinion regarding when "peak civilization" occurs. War seems like a step backward, that's for sure.
Biologically, the earth has probably been past peak life diversity and abundance for a while longer.
Why would you think that? And anyway, we still have yet to merge fully our biology with our technological innovations in the deep sense. Maybe that's what you mean when you say:
Computationally, we ain't seen nothin yet.
Ever read Ray Kurzweil's The Singularity Is Near?
I've never heard about these lucid dreams. Did he mention that in "Problem child"? It sounds like a very cool part of the story.
Yes, this is why Hofmann (note spelling) revisited the compound a full five years after he first developed LSD-25. There would be no other reason than his own seeming obsession with it. It was an odd thing to do at the time, and would be even odder now for a chemist in the employ of a large pharmaceutical company like Sandoz to do today, not the least reason of which is the fact that he was testing it on himself and thought 250 µg was a titration dose. Oops.

But think about it. He exhumed the 25th experiment on lysergamides to test it again on himself, and soon most of the chemists at Sandoz were trying it as well to attempt to understand the potent and magical substance. Great story.

noted and forgotten.

I am dyslexic and many who come to drugs have learning problems so I guess they will most likely note and forget too :)
Oh I'm sorry, that came across wrong. I was actually correcting myself from having misspelled it earlier. I know one of the letters is doubled but often forget if it's the "f" or the terminating "n". It's the latter.

I also have dyslexic moments, FWIW; no worries, bruv

Fair point on @AutoTripper btw xD my mate would be fking fried by now but he's actually one of the most articulate persons ive ever met.
Thanks for noticing mate, but wait... who is this even more naturally not for show articulate person out there? I am intrigued now! Lol.

I think articulate has a roof, at which point it is in danger of becoming pedantic, ruled, even artificial. So there needs to be room to play and step down IMO, keeping human after all.

“The path of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.”
— William Blake
William Blake was legit, and class. He had style. We covered him in school, age 17.

Was a fun amusing enlightening topic,

He had real visions and a higher connection and intimacy with nature.

Obviously fantastic writer the ranks and liked of which probably don't exist today.

But then ironically neither did he in a sense back then.

He laid it all down, for not genrerations but generations of generations (of genrerations) to come.

My favourite most powerful poignant quote of his was "I labour upward into futurity."

He was clever. Completely self assured. I bet he barely if ever felt annxiety.

Described himself as a man of God, but not gospel wise, but in his testimony real intimacy.

I am not sure on this at all, I can't remember if he was a Bible man at all, or ever ushered words down that invisible line to Jesus.

He and his wife too lol, every day parading around on possibly the first ever ever nudist beach ahem I mean back garden.

He believed in nudism. Exhibited it shamelessly within his own walls and fences.

And indeed, like the prophet he was, he was gradually and eventually acknowledged.

It's a notable principle. The truth will always sound ludicrous mad and far fetched at first to the mass programmed status quo circling the dartboard of shit, lie and concealement.

Peter Tosh n Johhny B Goode, which is I never even realised til last year, was a cover for Chick Berry.

His version stunned me though. It's crap almost rant singing, barely rythym melody and no soul despite being seen as souldful jazz was it??

Tosh covrered that song but not I believe because he couldn't write his own he sure could.

It was to splaycase his supremity.

The theme was slightly similar. Recognition maybe not coming until awareness has moved enough to realise it.

I love William Blake. He was a happy fulfilled man too, exubing joy for life.

He also ofc dammed the barbaric wrongs of the time,

As in "The Chimney Sweep"

Oh I'm sorry, that came across wrong. I was actually correcting myself from having misspelled it earlier. I know one of the letters is doubled but often forget if it's the "f" or the terminating "n". It's the latter.

I also have dyslexic moments, FWIW; no worries, bruv

sorry I didnt reply sooner I was on a road trip to bendigo.

no probs I was probably a little harsh I have been kicked so often for dyslexia that its just a knee jerk reaction these days.

its actually something that worries me a lot and probably why I am sensitive to it.

dyslexia in a world of typing is hell.

sorry I didnt reply sooner I was on a road trip to bendigo.

no probs I was probably a little harsh I have been kicked so often for dyslexia that its just a knee jerk reaction these days.

its actually something that worries me a lot and probably why I am sensitive to it.

dyslexia in a world of typing is hell.
I swear I have forever had myself some degree of dyslexia, but when reading mainly.

Books. Poihtless lol. I end up re re re-reading the same line verse paragraph over over.

It takes extra concentration so defeats the point.

Short Circuit reads fast.

But I would opt to be Billy Whizz any day, can read and store books even faster and do millions other things too.

I can write though, although I am a cretin for typos and mis-corrects.

No need to feel self conscious about it though. Just relax about it, simply get your meaning across clearly.

the first book I read was lord of the rings.

it was a soft copy that was all three in one.

it was just after year 9.

I had a teacher called Mr Sherland.

I could not read or write. I could do math and paint and draw and play guitar but reading was beyond me (yet I could read music with out being taught before school)

he spent every lunch and 3 nights a week for 1 hour teaching me.

very slowly and very patient.

it was that christmas my parents went to see my aunt and she had the book.

I had got a copy of the old school audio tapes (80's version) and listened to them the whole way from melb to around orange.

then I spent the summer reading this book.

I love hobbits hence the picture of bilbo in my github :)

Mr Sherland had a daughter who was in a car accident that summer as I read the lord of the rings.

he left us the year latter.

to be honest I really do not know what to make of it.

I still have to read everything tech 3 times over but a story now I can see as I read.

it took us so long to get me there but his passion for the printed word was just too strong.

bless you Mr Sherland and your daughter