How do opiates really effect our minds?

I am probably the odd ball here; I have always had a great appreciation for music while on opiates (other substances can replicate this experience as well).

i too have a great appreciation for music while on opiates and feel the music maybe even more so than before i used. 14 years of daily opiates and music is still the biggest thing in my life. read too and get horny lol

ive especially enjoyed a good russian quartet on a nod, but lets not glamorize...

different opioid hit slightly different receptors (if there is such a thing) and penetrate the brains medulla at different rates, depending on how, and what kind of opioid(s) the opioid is metabolized into.

Reg- I'm pretty sure you haven't fried your brain. I have pretty regular panic attacks, and I can tell you that the attack itself can serve as a kind of seed-crystal around which other attacks happen. Once you have a really major panic attack- you're likely to have others. I'll bet you're not permanently damaged. I read your trip report and could actually relate (to a certain degree) what you went through. I find drug-induced panic attacks the worst of all.

Thanks for reading, man. I believe that a big part of my 'I fried my brain' theory is that if confirmed, it would give me a 'free pass' to have suffered all these psychological problems. As in I could point to this one incident and say "that's the one thing that fucked me up, it's got nothing to do with all the other issues I have". It's irrational but a part of me thinks that if it was confirmed, I could get my head fixed medically rather than do all the hard psychological work.

Deep down, I don't think I really fried my brain. I still would like to get a brain scan to totally rule it out though.

different opioid hit slightly different receptors (if there is such a thing) and penetrate the brains medulla at different rates, depending on how, and what kind of opioid(s) the opioid is metabolized into.

Are you talking about different opiate receptors? Most opiates that are sought out activate the mu-opioid receptor. However, a lot of opiates that are used commonly also have other effects. There are also kappa, and delta opioid receptors. Some opiates effect non-opioid receptors as well (buprenorphine effects the sigma, ORL1, and nociceptin receptors). Methadone also works as an NMDA antagonist.

I've always loved the way music sounds on opiates, it's one of the reasons I continued to use them when I first discovered them. Jazz is probably my favorite type of music to listen to on opiates but anything that I'm into sounds extra good on opiates.

Obviously if you're constantly trying to get your next fix it's going to distract you, but assuming you have opiates and are relaxed music is a must and definitely enhanced for me.

holy shit I was thinking about starting this exact thread a few weeks ago. My favorite thing in the world is to write and record music. Before I got high all the time I would get inspiration and motivation and come up with interesting melodies and songs. Now I cant even force myself to play guitar once a week. At the beginning of the month before everything hits I seem to always get in the right mind set and write a song or two. I think opiates deaden your creativity as well as your bowels and sexual function, its funny b/c when I first started doing them I thought they made me want to be creative but its the exact opposite. Oh well

Very interesting topic!!

I think I know what you mean about not really feeling or listening to the music. In the very beginning, for me, music was not attenuated. Once I became a full-time gotta-have-it girl I couldn't feel the music anymore and most certainly did not seek out new music. All I could feel was my downward spiral and I only really listened to the radio (same shit over and over). I also noticed that I no longer sang along to songs in my car, something I was never able to help myself from doing! I would be listening in my head but my lips would never move.

When you're high or when you've got a habit to support that's pretty much all you can think about. What I gather from it is that my emotions and/or my brain did NOT want to pay much attention to anything else other than the repetitive cycle. In addition to skimping out on ear candy (music), I also stopped paying attention to movies and tv shows (with the exception of a couple).

Last but not least, I also stopped calling people on the phone. The only person I really would answer the phone for was my dealer(s). Talking on the phone became a laborious and unwanted chore.

The incident linked above lead directly to opiate abuse as a form of self-medicaiton. I'm not sure what impact the opiate use has had on my head but after over five weeks clean of Suboxone and all opiates, I still can't sleep properly and wake up with a headache everyday. The only thing that really helps is exercise which gives me relief from these symptoms.

I suppose it's just PAWS but I really hope it only lasts a few months max as opposed to a few years which seems to happen to some people. I don't have any cravings but if I have to feel like this everyday I don't know how I'll be able to do 'normal' things like hold down a normal job, keep friends and have relationships.

Just gotta hope for the best!

Hi mate, I can relate exactly to how you are feeling. I wouldn't worry about if you've fried your brain, it is amazing how well it recovers from drug abuse. I know the PAWS are a bitch to get through, but I can tell you the benefits of doing so are so so worth it. I decided to post stuff I been typing on another forum to my blog on here. I've been editing it every few weeks updating how I am doing since getting clean. Have a read if you like, I know that hearing other peoples experiences gave me the hope I needed to get through the worst part, so maybe you'll gain some hope from reading it :)

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/blog.php?b=3625

I can't get over that some people here actually say opiates make them creative. I've always believed that creativity is an outlet for anxiety (which is why so many artists including myself tend to be crazy) and that opiates in general flatten out or dull a lot of your nervous responses. Like the anxiety that drives you to have sex, the anxiety the drives you to take care of yourself, the anxiety that makes you speed to work when your late vs just going back to bed and losing your job. So I just assumed the effect for music would be more universal and this thread is reading like 50/50.

Its pretty cool that people have mentioned an actual "euphoria" listening to music while in wds. I get the same feeling and actually get a similar euphoria when/if I have sex in wds. Its extremely intense/anxiety driven (likey a shakey 'need to fvck' feeling) and it also kills my ability to restrain myself from ejaculating in wds. Like the second a girl breathes on it I feel I'm having an orgasm lol.

It seems like wds cause anxiety, and also increase your overall ability to feel, 2 things that would be congruent with a higher level of enjoyment towards music. But I'm also not considering coping mechanisms here either. Just because music/sex seems more enjoyable when I'm anxious doesn't mean everyone else will react that way. But if I'm calm and content (which opiates do X1000) I don't care about anything, music, sex, work, its all out of my mind. Pretty interesting to see that it actually makes some people creative, would have never thought.

Opiates have the opposite effect on me: enhanced beauty of music and creativity. While they tend to dull my cognitive abilities, opiates give me a creative boost in that they take away my inhibitions and make it possible for me to not doubt the quality of my writing/art. They also have that "dreamy" effect that helps me think abstractly, which is not easy for an Aspie like me :)

Not great for analytical/critical thinking type work though.

Its pretty cool that people have mentioned an actual "euphoria" listening to music while in wds. I get the same feeling and actually get a similar euphoria when/if I have sex in wds. Its extremely intense/anxiety driven (likey a shakey 'need to fvck' feeling) and it also kills my ability to restrain myself from ejaculating in wds. Like the second a girl breathes on it I feel I'm having an orgasm lol.

Haha cuz your sex drive came back!

But if I'm calm and content (which opiates do X1000) I don't care about anything, music, sex, work, its all out of my mind. Pretty interesting to see that it actually makes some people creative, would have never thought.

Same here. I just can't see how it could make people more creative. It affects everyone differently I suppose.

i love trance/dance music as well when sober (currently into armiin van buuren universal religion volumes 3 and 4).

however, when im on opiates, i cant stand listening to music with a fast beat/loud. i like listening to reggae when using. i think the slower beat, softer sounds synergize better with my relaxed mind.

Haha cuz your sex drive came back!

Lol!

It made me want to get clean! Everytime I had a hit I would nod off saying "I really wanna fucking quit, I'm gonna sort this out tomorow" When I would wake up/come to I had a whole new agenda more like "How the fuck am I gonna get the fucking money cos I need a hit right now" =D