Votes: 1 0.1%
  • totse.com

Votes: 22 1.8%
  • lycaeum.org

Votes: 5 0.4%
  • Other - please state!

Votes: 145 12.1%

• Total voters
I found this site on accident. I googled "what is the lethal dose of adderall" and I ended up here. Destiny lol :p

Memory loss with Xanax

I was looking on Google about memory loss. I have been on 1 MG of Xanax for 34 yrs, I am now 68 yrs old, and really having problems with memory. Please don't say I am addicted... I have been with dr's the whole time. Have never taken more or gone shopping for prescriptions from other Dr's... I have panic attackes and anxiety disorder, it runs in the family... How would you like to walk into a grocery store and after a few minutes a terrible attack of diarrhea hits you. I run to the bathroom as fast as I can.. Take a Xanax and sit and wait abou 20 min then I can continue to shop... I wonder if I get off would some of my memory come back ? Or all of a sudden I get very hot, my heart is beating fast and I break into tears, my symptoms have changed over the yrs..I have been dealing with this disorder and chronic depression :(

Last edited:
I was looking on Google about memory loss. I have been on 1 MG of Xanax for 34 yrs, I am now 68 yrs old, and really having problems with memory. Please don't say I am addicted... I have been with dr's the whole time. Have never taken more or gone shopping for prescriptions from other Dr's... I have panic attackes and anxiety disorder, it runs in the family... How would you like to walk into a grocery store and after a few minutes a terrible attack of diarrhea hits you. I run to the bathroom as fast as I can.. Take a Xanax and sit and wait abou 20 min then I can continue to shop... I wonder if I get off would some of my memory come back ? Or all of a sudden I get very hot, my heart is beating fast and I break into tears, my symptoms have changed over the yrs..I have been dealing with this disorder and chronic depression :(

Boopster-

First of all, calm yourself about worries of people saying you're addicted. By your reaction, I'm guessing someone has told you that you're addicted. Well, simply put, fuck that shit. (You would think that since I was an English major I could come up with a more elegant phrase, but I find straight forward vernacular sometimes can't be beat ;) ) Next time someone hassles you, think of it this way -- do people tell diabetics that they're "addicted" to their daily dose of insulin? You're taking something for a medical condition and that's that.

Now, onto the important stuff; the MOST urgent thing I can tell you is that you SHOULD NOT STOP your Xanax without talking to your doctor first. If you have been taking benzos long term it can be very dangerous if you just stop suddenly -- you should be weaned off of it. 1 mg is a fairly low dose but you need to taper down if you're considering stopping it--I cannot emphasize this enough.

Okay, next - did you talk to your doctor about the memory loss? It could have nothing to do with the Xanax, especially since you've been taking it for years w/o any problems. You might be experiencing normal memory loss (e.g., "where'd I put my keys?") and you could be amplifying the severity of it in your mind. That is, you could experience anxiety about forgetting a few things (which is normal at any age) and before you know it, your anxiety about your memory is feeding your "normal" anxiety and then crap spirals out of control (believe me, I know how you feel).

Keeping in mind that I'm not a doctor, your symptoms sound like classic anxiety and depression. Getting hot, experiencing tachycardia, and crying -- good god you could be my twin! First thing, you need to rule out any physical problems aside from your anxiety -- very important, especially at your age. I have anxiety in addition to a physical basis for my tachycardia and for years I had doctors telling me it was "all in my head" when in fact I had a two fold problem. There are a few reasons why your increase in anxiety could be happening, and I urge you to explore these with your doc:

1. Are you menopausal by any chance? (sorry to be so personal and good gosh I hope you're not a man :) Anyway, menopause can impact your meds.
2. You've been on the Xanax for 34 yrs. -- it could be 'pooping out' (yes, even the doctors call it the "pooping out effect"; easier than saying "tachyphylaxis") I'd say you've been quite lucky to have been able to maintain your dosage and that particular med for such a long period of time. It might be time for you to up your dosage or go onto a completely different med. I took Prozac for years -- it was delightful -- until it pooped out after 4 years and I had to switch to something else. I also took Xanax for anxiety (did NOTHING for me) switched to lorazapam and was then switched to Klonopin. The reason I'm telling you this boring stuff about me is to show you that sometimes it takes mucho tweaking to fine tune your meds and you have to be patient (and proactive).
3. Are you taking anything for your depression? Xanax is not going to help if you have MDD (major depressive disorder). You might want to explore meds that treat both depression and anxiety (SSRIs, etc.) There is a website that is excellent in regard to information regarding meds that work on mental and neurological conditions; it's called Crazy Meds (love the name) http://www.crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage
It's very well researched and informative.

Yikes, I didn't realize I wrote so much, but I hope it helps you. Anxiety sucks big time and I really know how you feel. Your number one job at this point is to contact your doctor. If he "pooh poohs" your symptoms, time to find a new one or if possible, see a psychiatrist as they usually have a deeper knowledge of the types of drugs we're talking about. I hope you feel better soon.

@ Boopster
as Tay said, don't stop taking xanax cold turkey or you can go into withdrawal. 1 mg is a fairly low dose but you've been taking it for a really lng time so if you want to stop taper down by yourself or ask your doctor about it.

and qbout memory loss, I get it (and everyone I know who uses them) quite a lot, especially if taken at a "recreational" dose and if dosed with other downers like alcohol or DXM so it is really just a jormal effect of the pharm so don't worry about it.
seriously I've been dancing in a club for 3 hours on lorazepam + dxm and the day after I thought it was only 5 minutes, and also I forgot most of the night so yeah, it's normal

I suggest that you post in one of the specific forum (like other drugs for example) to get further information

have a good day :)

Hello! Noob and how I found BL..

Hi Everybody! I found this site through opiophile. I was researching injectable opiates .. to the extreme!!! Lol, everyone knows what my agenda is. Last night ended a odd but drug induced relationship/friendship. I realized today I need some Banger friends to talk to. You're notoriously friendly here. Hoping this is a good fit. I also like to smoke dank weed and just kicked 8 years (almost) xanax habit. I still use benzos, but life's so nice after I kicked xanax. (I traded it for the needle

I was looking for answers to questions and google kept pointing me here... Nearly everytime... So I joined up!

Searching for info on how to do IVs while waiting for my first training appointment. I couldn't even remember having an IV before so was pretty freaked out finding out I would have to be doing them on myself.

I don't remember how I originally found this site. It had a different TLD when I first began to lurk it.

OBSESSIVE drug research since I was like 14. So about 10 years strong :) just finally registered.

Google-ing various mind-altering chemicals and plants has led me here through the years. The depth, breadth and wealth of information has never disappointed. Recently, I've lurked to research 4-AcO-DMT. I finally decided to register tonight so I could use the search function. This forum does a great service and seems to have a mature intelligent community overall.

After I was banned from DF, I came here to deal with the anger and now I'm content.

Hmmm well Ive known about this site for like 3 yrs . I have many friends on this site . So I finally joined after being asked several times if im a bl er. But my bf czey is why i kno bout this site really . So now i have to get 50+ posts to go into the lounge . Sigh so i think im on like 3 now so yay 47 too goo