• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How come opium isn't common?

moonyham

Bluelighter
I don't use opiates but have in the past. Morphine, oxy, poppy pod tea and a bunch of weaker stuff.

I always wanted to try opium. I like drugs to be as natural as possible and think it would be a cool experience. What I don't get is why it doesn't really exist?

Poppies grow pretty much everywhere and you get pretty decent yield. Not as much value as you might get per m2 growing outdoor weed but far less upkeep and less suspicious/no smell and generally isn't illegal to grow.

It seems like given how much heroin and opiates in general are worth, you would see lots of small time growers pumping out local opium. But.. It doesn't happen?

Ive only read up about growing and harvesting opium. Seems strait forward. Anyone got experience or knows why the western hemisphere doesn't really get opium?

It is a low potency drug that comes from a labor intensive plant to grow/harvest. Opium yields are low given the area they take up. You need to smoke/eat alot of opium to get high (especially if you smoke it).

However in a sense, opium is still commonly used in the US. Poppy seed tea and poppy pod tea are regularly used by alot of people here, which are both forms of opium consumption.

It is a low potency drug that comes from a labor intensive plant to grow/harvest. Opium yields are low given the area they take up. You need to smoke/eat alot of opium to get high (especially if you smoke it).

However in a sense, opium is still commonly used in the US. Poppy seed tea and poppy pod tea are regularly used by alot of people here, which are both forms of opium consumption.

Isn't just a small thumb tip sized ball of opium enough for the average person to get fucked up for a day? Or am I far off dosages/volume required.

I was always under the impression it's volume/weight was similar or more dense than weed at the very least. And that is still grown etc?

Isn't just a small thumb tip sized ball of opium enough for the average person to get fucked up for a day? Or am I far off dosages/volume required.

I was always under the impression it's volume/weight was similar or more dense than weed at the very least. And that is still grown etc?

A small thumb tip sized ball definitely is enough for an average person, but that weighs a few grams. Refined and turned into heroin increases its power at a fraction of the mass.

As far as marijuana vs poppy plants, a single marijuana plant can produce enough weed to last me a 6 months, whereas even a large poppy plant can't produce more than a handful of opium highs.

But again opium use is very common in the US (via poppy seed/poppy pod tea), just not in the form of bulk resin.

When i grew opium recently i discovered just how much opium you need to smoke to get high. You have to keep puffing and puffing at it. You need a minimum .5g, which takes a while to smoke to achieve an effect that you could get from 50mg of tar heroin.

Most opiate users want something stronger, and there's plenty available. It's obviously also far more lucrative for producers and dealers, as refining an equal quantity of raw opium into heroin instead of selling it as is, yields a product that's a lot more potent and you can get a lot more effective doses out of it.

That's not even to mention the smell. Opium latex has a very strong distinctive smell that's at least as bad as weed for pervasiveness. When I purchased my antique opium pipe which last must have been used goodness knows how many years ago, I could STILL smell a definite trace of opium scent from it. Good luck trying to smuggle that. You wouldn't even need a sniffer dog to detect it.

Then, the standard way of consuming opium apart from orally was to smoke it, and smoking the traditional way involves quite a bit of technique and is a lot of faff. Many regular users never even learned how to do it and instead would frequent opium dens where a servant would prepare the pipe for them to smoke.

Finally, historically, first came the anti-opium campaigns aimed at stamping out the custom. Thousands of pipes and other smoking paraphernalia were confiscated and destroyed. Opium dens were declared illegal and closed down. So now there was a shortage both of equipment, places to consume, and people an interested novice could seek out to teach him. Next there was morphine, which was then still legal, more powerful and also injectable. Those opium users who did not quit under the pressure of the new sanctions mostly switched to morphine. Smoking became a lost art, and opium in general regarded as a poor alternative to morphine / heroin and other more potent derivatives, and only resorted to in their absence.

Last edited:
I've smoked Opium a number of times when I was in my teens and it was pretty great, like negrogensic says you need alot per high. I'd buy it buy the gram back then and it was twenty dollars, me and my buddy would smoke it sandwhiched in-between weed in layers. Like weed on the bottom and then we would roll a piece into small disc and then Weed ontop of that, another small piece and we would repeat that like 4 or 5 times and have it all in a hammer bubbler weed pipe.

It was a big one and we had at least a gram of Weed with the gram of Opium. This worked incredibly well and I was opiate naive at the time only using Oxycodone and Hydrocodone before this in light amounts. It got me the highest I'd ever been on an Opiate up until that point. Like I was all floaty and noddy, strong Euphoria. It tastes so good too floral and delicious. This dude we knew had a fucking softball of the stuff, hippy folk. An older guy we used to buy LSD from too.

That year I did it a handful of times and would deff love to try it again if I ever have no tolerance. Did it at least 5 occasions and a few times I got 3 grams for fifty bucks did a few bowls over a nite, stuff is Lush.

Wow some great input here. Thanks so much for the enlightenment. I was under the impression that opium was kind of like hash in how much was required to smoke, but it sounds like it's a lot less potent than that, volume/weight wise.

Also very interesting is the smell. I've never heard of this.

One day I may get around to just growing a small patch of poppies and making a gram to try. Might just save it as something to experience when traveling. I really want to smell and experience it after reading all this.

ime it's very tricky to 'smoke' and hugely wasteful if you don't know
what you're doing, which almost nobody does thesedays

I have an old hippy friend who gifts me what he assures me is 'refined' opium occasionally (I've recently run out unfortunately). I have low opiate tolerance (occasional medic user) and I find that 200-250mg eaten gives me 12 hours plus painfree with a wonderfully pleasant day to boot.

It's sticky af. I have to freeze it then snap some off, get it weighed rapid and then refreeze before sticking it at the back of tongue before very quickly swilling it down with hot coffee. You don't wanna taste that shit trust me, ughh. I remember someone telling me years ago that it tasted like "two trees fucking" which I thought a bit odd, but it turns out he was spot on.

I find it totally superior to oral morphine or oral oxycodone for my purposes, different league.

Last edited:
ime it's very tricky to 'smoke' and hugely wasteful if you don't know
what you're doing, which almost nobody does thesedays
Agree. Though if you DO know what you're doing, I would argue it's the more efficient method compared to oral consumption since you bypass the digestive system.
I have an old hippy friend who gifts me what he assures me is 'refined' opium occasionally (I've recently run out unfortunately).
Ok, if it was refined to chandu (smokeable) it would be slightly sticky and have the consistency of soft fudge. I wrap my smoking 'pills' individually in greaseproof paper and store them in an airtight container because the smell gets everywhere.
I find it totally superior to oral morphine or oral oxycodone for my purposes, different league.
As to tincture of opium (laudanum if you wanna be old-fashioned) yes I agree. As for smoked, it gives me a wonderful dreamy, euphoric high. When I start I also get a physical sensation which is not quite the normal histamine response, I don't feel itching, instead I feel a sort of electric tingle all over my skin and as though my blood is fizzing and it's great

Well....most people don't like to delay gratification. You need the seed papaver somniferum. They have to be cold treated, or else the seed won't germinate. (Because the plants produce seeds in late summer, if they sprouted right away, they would all die.) Most decent seed companies send them cold treated. They can also be sprinkled on the ground in late fall, to germinate the following EARLY SPRING. The babies are tiny. They grow slow, and like cold early on,,,(March, April) yes, then they flower. And the seedheads and stems are filled with the white latex-opium. Some are stronger than others, like the dark purple. A few days/week out in sun makes them stronger still. You can slice the pods (not too deep) and lick up the white latex. About 6 of them to get high.

would you have a germination process you could share?

This is my negrogesic ⓝ patented method of germination:

Bury the seeds very lightly (slightly cover) in a 50:50 mixture of soil and perlite, using a disintegrating pot (jiffy pot type). Put under light 12hr on/off, and cover with ice a few times a day for the first few days, then stop. Mist daily with water, keep fairly moist. Should sprout within 10 days or so, some types vary.

These are eventually transferred into a larger pot, placed directly into the soil and allowed to disintegrate.

I was thinking about writing a comprehensive book about how to grow poppies indoors (non hydroponic, in soil). Nothing exists on the subject, at least nothing with useful detail

A small thumb tip sized ball definitely is enough for an average person, but that weighs a few grams. Refined and turned into heroin increases its power at a fraction of the mass.

As far as marijuana vs poppy plants, a single marijuana plant can produce enough weed to last me a 6 months, whereas even a large poppy plant can't produce more than a handful of opium highs.

But again opium use is very common in the US (via poppy seed/poppy pod tea), just not in the form of bulk resin.

When i grew opium recently i discovered just how much opium you need to smoke to get high. You have to keep puffing and puffing at it. You need a minimum .5g, which takes a while to smoke to achieve an effect that you could get from 50mg of tar heroin.
Idk man, i got a bit of Iranian raw opium from a friend.
Im not a regular opiate user at all, but i enjoy Oxy in doses between 30-80mg, but i was very suprised how potent this tar is.

My first dose was less then 0,1g put under my lip.
Def felt that amount alot!
Ended up doing like 0.2-0.3g in total that day, had me noding and feeling cozy af.