Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

How clean are you?

footscrazy

Bluelight Crew
What's your standard of 'acceptable' cleanliness?

Are you super hygienic or do you think a bit of dirt makes you stronger?

I'm a bit of a germophobe, I always carry hand sanitiser with me, and I use a new dishcloth to wash the dishes every single time. I have cleaning tools specific for each room - so I wont use a mop I've used in the bathroom in the kitchen, for example. I hate shoes being worn indoors and I never let the bottom of my handbags (which have touched trains and public seats) touch anywhere except for the floor under my bed. I never touch surfaces in public toilets - I always flush/turn on the taps/open doors with a toilet paper barrier.

I know it's a bit neurotic and probably doesn't make that huge a difference overall in the germ contact stakes, but it makes me feel better :)

What's everyone else like?

I think you sound as if you would be shiny.

When I was living in Sydney I would take some precautions like yours such as trying not to come in contact with germ infested door handles, anything related to public transport, public toilets, escalators. It's funny you should mention hand sanitizer, haha Im a dude but I did use hand sanitizer due my job where I was working with filthy snotty little children...you never can tell where those little tackers have been, and if you are going to get a cold or influenza they'll be carrying.

Germs and people are dirty imo but dirt or earth is not (sorta thing)...I love nothing more than getting down and dirty in the bush or garden, putting your hands into the soil is beautiful. My favourite smells include freshly turned earth, earth after rain, and freshly cut grass. Is it just me or can others smell the turn of season? Change of seasons to me are the best times of year.

Im probably not the best to be commenting though as im a self confessed hippie, although i dont have dreads, i wash daily and i own a functioning tooth brush.

Its weird city folks idea of dirty and country peoples idea of dirty are usually miles apart.

btw neurotic is one of my favourite words, i always describe myself as neurotic hahaha

good day! :D

i need regular showers or i feel off.. almost sick..

and i need clean feet... for example whilst i love going to the beach, i hate going in the water and then getting sand all over my feet once i've left, and no matter how many times i wash my feet there's still sand somewhere...

hate it.

I'm a total shower fiend, I shower at least twice a day if not more. Living in the tropics makes this far more acceptable than for someone in Tasmania I think ;)

Other than that, I love germs! That's obviously an exaggeration but I'm the complete opposite of Footscrazy. Depending on what I'm doing I may only wash my hands thoroughly (ie. with soap and a good scrub) once a day, I never use any antibacterial products and generally think being exposed to some germs and dirt is good for your health and immune system.

I'm amazed at how determined people are to live in a completely sterile environment. It's not good for you and it's also a pain in the arse to try to achieve. I can't help but feel like this has all come about simply from the marketing of antibacterial products where people are led to believe that E. coli is going to kill us all and if you don't completely sterilise your house you're being a bad parent etc.

Why do you need to kill 99.9% of germs in your toilet? Are you eating out of it? Or did some nice shiny toilet cleaning product tell you its important?

I'm am VERY neat and tidy. Like I can't stand my bf leaving crumbs on the kitchen bench. And when I vac I can't help but be super thorough like getting in all the corners and under things etc etc. It's a pain coz it makes vaccing our 2 bedroom unit take longer than it really should. I prevent myself being worse though otherwise it would be borderline OCD...

on a side note I have a thing about furniture symmetry. Things must be centered! (did someone say OCD? =P)

Im the opposite..

I'll shower twice a day usually but beyond that I'm very lax about hygiene.. I enjoy living in a clean environment, but I can make do if nessecary. I rarely get sick, so I don't consider it an issue to go overboard with cleanliness..

I have the view that exposure to germs builds immunity, if I were to live in a sterile bubble I think the chances of me getting sick would increase.. but that's just my experience. I think it would stress me out to much, it would also make traveling foreign and third world countries an absolute clusterfuck of a headache.

laugh said:
Germs and people are dirty imo but dirt or earth is not (sorta thing)

Completely know what you mean, and I agree. I love gardening, camping, bushwalking and so on and I have no problem whatsoever getting covered with soil or the kind of dirty you get after bushwakling and camping. It's just people germs that bother me ;)

NickyJ said:
I'm amazed at how determined people are to live in a completely sterile environment. It's not good for you and it's also a pain in the arse to try to achieve. I can't help but feel like this has all come about simply from the marketing of antibacterial products where people are led to believe that E. coli is going to kill us all and if you don't completely sterilise your house you're being a bad parent etc.

Despite my habits, I actually also somewhat contradictorily agree and think that anti bacterial products (including hand sanitisers, yes ;)) should be used far less often than they are. I worry about bacteria becoming more and more resistant to anti-bacterials due to the widespread use of them.

miss_goody2shoes said:
on a side note I have a thing about furniture symmetry. Things must be centered! (did someone say OCD? =P)

I'm a little bit like this too, my desk has to be lined up with the wall (but not touching it) or I feel funny. I have an ex who is really full on about this and he always has to be 'even', if he goes over the centre line marking on the road accidentally he has to then go over on the other side too, very safe ;)

I forgot to add in my OP though, the worst is money! I hate touching it, and atms and eftpos machines. One time I won on the pokies and got someone else to scoop all the coins into a cup for me :)

im a fucking slob!! well kinda i shower daily n brush my teeth all the time.tend to be a bit lazy when it comes to shaving :\ my rooms pretty messy but thats cus i always have friends dirty it up when were all fucked up.i do tend to have my cleaning days where i go around n vac the house n do a lil cleaning but not to your extent footsy and footsy i think u got a slight case of OCD goin owwwn :p

Last edited:
Yeah I can't say I live in particularly clean conditions. Though I have improved alot due to living with a girlfriend for a while. though since we broke up and she moved out things have slided a little.

I have good personal hygeine. brush my teeth regularly and shower twice a day. but when it comes to what I live in, mess doesn't bother me. I don't get annoyed at all if the floors are unvacummed or if there are dishes in the sink. My room is in a fairly constant state of messiness.

As for hand sanitisers and all of that. I don't think they are necessary. I get sick about once a year and I never really use them. I believe that being exposed to bacteria is good for your immune system, and unless you have a compromised immune system your body will fight off nearly everything you come into contact with and then you will be immune to it.

footscrazy - sounds like you won't be able to cope in Alice Springs.....

alot of my friends go to the extent of carrying around hand disinfectant with them at all times and one particular friend is a germophobe who uses bleach to clean anything he considers 'dirty'

i beleive what doesnt kill you makes you stronger, but its all about balance.

nobody wants to be around your room if it smells like mould and is difficult to walk around in, but neurotic mothers spending all day making sure there is no bacteria on every surface because of their baby are misguided in what theyr doing

all chefs need to wash their hands before working though

i need regular showers or i feel off.. almost sick..

and i need clean feet... for example whilst i love going to the beach, i hate going in the water and then getting sand all over my feet once i've left, and no matter how many times i wash my feet there's still sand somewhere...

hate it.

Seeing this man brave a 3 day festival camping weekend without getting dirty was a memory that will l cherish forever. =D

I'm in the "germs make your immune system stronger" camp. I don't mind a bit of dirt, and I think without exposure to it we'd never have the defences for when something inevitably does make it through the bubble, but once things get unhygienic (although that's obviously a relative term judging by the varied responses above) then it's time to bust out some soap.

You know that domestic cleanliness has gotten too lax when something smells when it shouldn't, seems to get bigger/worse every time you look at it, or generally exhibits any signs of life when it should really be inanimate.

I also have more than a touch of the OCD MG2S and footscrazy mentioned with symmetry and alignment, which also spills over into things being where they should be. Everything should have a place, and that thing should be returned to it's place and no-where else. If you don't know its place then don't put it away, leave it where it is.

As a side question, do your feelings on eating/drinking food correlate with your levels of cleanliness OCD? If you're in the "Sterilise everything with fire" camp, do you throw things out well before their use by dates?

My home can get disorganized and clutter from laundry or whatever, but I don't let unsanitary things fester for long. Dirty plates, a gross toilet, crusty faucets, or anything decomposing gets dealt with quickly.

There is nothing more disgusting than mold, especially when you reach for something and you discover mold by having it collapse when your hand mushes into it.

I also have more than a touch of the OCD MG2S and footscrazy mentioned with symmetry and alignment, which also spills over into things being where they should be. Everything should have a place, and that thing should be returned to it's place and no-where else. If you don't know its place then don't put it away, leave it where it is.

This has led to a variety of 'discussions' in our household over the last few years, hehe. I'm not so OCD about this kind of thing, as it means that, tidying of the house that would generally take 45 minutes or so, can take a whole freaking day. But, it's all about compromise, so i just let Pop go about his crazy and i'll do something else =D

As a side question, do your feelings on eating/drinking food correlate with your levels of cleanliness OCD? If you're in the "Sterilise everything with fire" camp, do you throw things out well before their use by dates?

He already knows my answer to this, but there are certain things that i'm quite fickle about - for instance, we have a fantastic butcher down the road from us that makes magnificent bbq chooks, but i'm pretty particular about when i think it's not good to eat. If you were to ask Pop, while i don't need to sterilise things with fire (as he puts it ;)), i am quite funny about use-by dates, but I am getting better with best-before dates. In saying all of this, he's got an iron stomach (as a few bluelighters can attest to in various situations), where mine is pretty sensitive, so i'm more careful.

As for cleanliness, I wash my hands after handling food, ablutions, but i don't use hand sanitiser (unless i'm at a festival/doof where water is at a premium, and even then will use water already used for washing up to do so, with soap). I'm more in the camp of thinking that exposure to some germs, etc, builds up immunity. I liken it to this trend of people automatically running to the doctor for a script of antibiotics when they have a head cold. It's a waste of time.

Everything should have a place, and that thing should be returned to it's place and no-where else. If you don't know its place then don't put it away, leave it where it is.

Love it! =D This is actually time saving because you always know exactly where everything is :D

I shower every day, I wash any clothes that touch my bare skin after one wear, I try to wash my dishes as soon as I've done using them (or at least rinse them so they don't have gross chunks of food sitting on them overnight), I brush my teeth at least once a day (preferrably three times but I can't always be arsed)....I think I am pretty good when it comes to hygiene stuff but I am not anal retentive about it either...

I do think that it's good for your immune system to be exposed to germs; I drink unfiltered water, I hate using hand sanitiser, I am not really fussed about going barefoot in the changerooms at swimming pools or at saunas, etc...if I am travelling and have to go a day without a shower it doesn't make me go into a blind panic or anything like that...so I would say I'm at a good mid-level between the two extremes :)