• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How bad would withdrawal be for me?

Rosebud58

Greenlighter
I'm 59 years old. Not in good health, afib, severe arthritis in back, knees. In wheelchair for 4 years. I'm on 2 to 3 Narco a day. Been on 1 a day for years. But I'd only take if I had to. Now I'm to the point I feel I need to take the 2 to 3 a day. Every day. I'm scared that it will go in from here to needing 4 a day, then 5. And so on. No way will my pcp write that. I'm always in pain. The pills don't help the pain like they used to but they do make me feel better mentally for a short time. I feel that I'm more after the mentally part than the pain relief part at this point. How would I get off the narco with minimum withdrawal? At this point I am 2 a day most days. Rarely 3, sometimes 2 1/2.

Welcome to BL!

Are you trying to get off opioids entirely or just stick to your prescribed dose?

Medication that will help include gabapentin, clonidine, diazepam and buprenorphine. Even with just gabapentin and clonidine withdrawal will be very managible.

Have you tried any non-opioid treatments? What conditions are you being treated for, and what is the pain medication for?

If you want off you need a long taper. Withdrawal generally sucks it sucks worse with pain and even worse with the combo of health problems. The first step is too stabilize your dosing schedule. Take a set number of pills everyday on the same schedule for a couple weeks. Once you get into a routine you take half a pill less at some point in the schedule do that a couple weeks. Then cut down a half pill more so on and so fourth. We can make you a taper schedule if you tell us exactly what you're taking

With short acting opioids tapering can be problematic though. I’m curious to hear back more from the OP.

With short acting opioids tapering can be problematic though. I’m curious to hear back more from the OP.

True. It's not impossible though and I don't think Suboxone is a good thing to put on her medical records became she is likely to need pain meds again in the near future. This a classic case of dependence instead of addiction. It would be great if OP could have this discussion with her doctor but that's risky for multiple reasons Paramount being the doc not knowing how to do this properly.

Right now I'm at my prescribed dose, some days. Rarely do I take less than 2 10 mg hydrocodone a day. I've been there for at least a year or two. I'm getting to the point of 3 a day (max dose). It'll dull some of the pain. I think I'm after the mentally "feel good" part. The pain is never going away. Not without surgery and directors say no. To even cutting out a cyst. I have afib, high blood presure, severe arthritis in back, knees, shoulders, neck. 6 years ago I had a massive saddle embolism in my lungs and I'm diabetic, very obese. I'm on warfarin blood thiner, 4 blood pressure meds, 2 arrhythmia meds. Insulin. I think I want off pain meds or at least know how to keep from needing more and more. I've taken hydrocodone for many many years of 1 a day, most days for my knees. Lost weight 15 years ago, doctors would not do my total knee replacements (was in pretty good health then) because of my age. Had to be 55. I'm just not sure what to do. Or how to do it.

Yes any ibuprofin, celebrex had always hurt n my stomach, badly. Now with the blood thinner it's for sure a no go. And I don't think my doctor will go any higher than 3 a day. He tells me every once in a while, "we don't want to get hooked on these". Lol. Never mind he's gave them to me for many years. Same doctor I've had for 34 years.

It sounds like you have a host of health issues which sounds pretty challenging. Can you have someone help you with your dosing the hydrocodone just to keep you from taking more than prescribed? I’d work with your doctor to explore alternatives to opioids to help you manage you pain (other meds, perhaps physical therapy, acupuncture, etc).

If you are trying to detox from the hydrocodone, it shouldn’t be too horrible given the pretty reasonable dose you’ve been taking. Gabapentin and clonidine, along with a benzo like clonazepam or diazepam, should see you through the worst of it in relative comfort. You can take loperamide for GI issues as well. Try and get help from your doctor on this, and if they aren’t prepared to help you seek out a private psychiatrist who is willing to help you detox. If you can stabilize first on your prescribed dose or even taper a little bit that would be worthwhile to try, but luckily you’re withdrawal won’t be horrible with the right comfort meds.

If I mention to my doctor I'm afraid he'll not sure again if I find I'm not able to withstand the pain. Also limited on any type of other medical treatments because I'm on Medicaid. I live in Kentucky and every time you turn on news all you hear is about doctors being shit down because of writing pain meds. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't happen at my doctors, live been going there for over 30 years but the last couple years when you make return appointments they tell you it's for med so you have to keep or may stop writing. My doctor isn't a pain clinic, he's just doctor of internal medicine. I really don't know what to do now that I'm thinking. Maybe try and do the taper. Someone said maybe you all could make a schedule. Someone said something about clonidine. I have clonidine. Sometimes my blood pressure gets really high, for no reason that we can figure out so I'm supposed to take 1 if it gets over 190. I think they are 0.2.

Also I take my pain med at random times. If I'm hurting bad I'll take a whole + Tylenol. If not hurting too bad and mostly just feel really down I'll take 1/2 of the 10 + a 8 hour tylenol. Like today I took a half at 2 a.m. And a Tylenol because I was hurting. Just now took another half and a 8 hour tylenol because. I am hurting and feel down. I know you all think I'm crazy. Hell maybe I am.

You’re not crazy, you’re just dealing with some really tough issues. Clonidine will help a lot if you decide to detox. Gabapentin is still worth looking into, as it can be helpful for some pain management conditions.

I think you stand your best bet if you can find someone to help you stick to your dosing plans. And in that vein coming up with a rigid dosing plan taking only the bare minimum is worthwhile to try. Perhaps you can use kratom to help transition you off opioids?

Rosebud,

What is your life like? Do you interact regularly with other people? You are getting some great sounding medical advice (from people who may not have certification to give it), but the slew of comfort meds being described are generally utilized in situations that sound much different than yours. I am absolutely not a doctor. Before you start playing with gabaergics, benzos, and powerful blood pressure meds it may be a good idea to get a second medical opinion. I have yet to see a medically approved kratom dosing schedule. I have seen quite a few dopefiend approved dosing schedules. I generally see some of the more responsible members here come in with loving suggestions such as meditation and lifestyle suggestions. I am curious why we dove directly in to playing doctor with a 59 year old with obvious stated co-morbidities.

Where did anyone suggest not working with a doctor? Reread my posts, it’s specifically among the things I recommend.

Mate, this is a harm reduction forum. We meet people where ever they’re at, whether they have a shitty doctor or one worth their license. If you don’t like what you see in this forum, get off the site. To a degree I value your stern voice, but it is getting old fast. If you must share please do so respectfully without belittling members or staff. Consider this an informal warning along those lines.

I don't know if you should try to stop OP. I feel like withdrawal would be really hard on your body and it may not be appropriate because you may need opiods to function. I think making sure you keep your dose where it is would be the best bet.

"I'm on warfarin blood thiner, 4 blood pressure meds, 2 arrhythmia meds. Insulin."

This is not the average addict. Rosebud, please consult a doctor. If the doctor tells you kratom is a good choice...lol call the state medical board.

These are some good hearted people Rosebud, I truly believe they value human life and the quality of that life. That being said, you are on a significant load of medications that probably ought be adjusted or regulated by a doctor. Unfortunately, your loved ones won't have much to litigate against if you follow the suggestions handed out over a forum. I will absolutely be here to support you with anything you encounter emotionally as I imagine the others on this forum will as well.

Rose... Been on pain management for a very long time till I lost my insurance this year. I started on hydrocodone like a lot of folks do. Its a horrible way to manage pain. Its an on going cycle of highs and lows. Its that cycle that breeds the issues. For part of your day your okay and managed and the rest your miserable. Think about what your doing to your self in that cycle. The cycle itself is creating a need for more and more. Its not you...

My first real pain management doc had a cow when I came in on that cycle. Said it was criminal. Pain management should be a smooth cycle of long acting opiates. Not a daily high/low roller coaster of pain and meds.

If your in pain and you need the relief go and see a REAL pain doctor.

Also... Sorry you are having these issues but know your not alone...

R13