• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids hoping to get help with oxycodone withdrawal

Neo broke a pill cutter and on my 4th pair of scissors. But maybe a better one would do the trick.

Do you not want to do the suboxone / bupe route?
Sorry I did not read every single post in the thread, just the general idea of what was going on...

But I had a habbit like yours, if not worse.
I was doing half a gram a day of IV heroin, needing it 3-4x daily to not feel bouge , and on OC before the heroin addiction...

How they gave me bupe/subs in rehab worked amazingly.

Quit OC cold turkey
Take heavy bupe dosages every 6 hours for 2-3 days ONLY:
Wait til you are sick, take 8mg
6 hours later take 4 mg
take 4mg every 6 hours (they would wake us up when we were sleeping for this)
for like 2.5 days
I think I only went threw 3 to 4 8mg pills
then done, do not taper down, dont take little pieces, bupe has a long half life (36 hours) so when you build it up in your system like this, it will taper itself automatically as it wears off

After a couple days off suboxone I felt a little bit shitty at night, very minor restlessness and RLS which reminded me of the beggining of this downward spiral when i first start getting sick from vicodin. Nothing unmanageable though.
It worked for me.

I have not gone back to heroin or OC or vicodin or opiates since October 10th 2010

My suggestion would be firstly to taper.

Taking a smaller dose the last day is not going to help much (if at all)

Take like:
Day 1 - 30mg
Day 2 - 30mg
Day 3 - 25mg
Day 4 - 25mg
Day 5 - 20mg
Day 6 - 20mg
Day 7 - 10mg
Day 8 - 10mg
Day 9 - 5mg
Day 10 - 5mg

Doesn't have to be that exactly but try to spread it out over at least 7 days.
The more gradual and lower doses at the end will kind of suck, but you will be glad you did it when you run out.

After you complete the taper, get Benadryl (dph)/doxylamine succinate, B vitamins, DXM, Tylenol, chamomile, passion flower extract, and lemon balm leaf extract.
I find that combination makes withdrawal less hellish.

Anyway good luck-- and if that doesn't work out you should try bupe.

I'm sure it has been mentioned several times in other WD threads, but staying as active as possible helps a bunch. Sitting around thinking if the hell you are going through makes every minute seem like an eternity. As cruddy, sweaty, tired, depressed mentally, pains everywhere, rls (for me more lower back anxiety), and all of the other fun side effects, hanging around friends really helped a ton. Taking walks, and being social as much as I could helped keep my mind busy. Drinking water, and putting some nutrition in my body helped. It's sometimes difficult to think of eating, but it helps. I didn't have any access to any other drugs to help with anxiety, but knowing it does get better helps. I've gone through it 4 times now. Been off of it all since July 4th. It can be done, even cold turkey. A psychiatrist that deals with opiate recovery would be a great thing to have. The nights were the killer for me. I tried every OTC sleep aid known to man, and none of it helped. The only thing that would cause drowsiness was working out. Not over doing it, but maybe walks around the block etc.. Tapering helps some, but I preferred a more aggressive one. I also didn't have the advantage of hundreds of pills to work with. For me, that would only lead me to more trouble. I would reduce by half every two days. I cut up my last two percs into thirds, and only took one piece when times were desperate. It would help more psychologically than anything. Might give me an hour or two of sleep help, which was huge at the time. Having friends that I could confide in was huge. Making my mind that I was done with the drugs, and come heck or high water, I was going to battle through was also huge. As much as it seems like things will never get better, they will! Stay strong! Try to stay positive. I found reading other people's stories on here was a big help also. Well, that's my two cents. Each day clean, is another day closer to victory! For me, it was day four or five after completely stopping, where I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. Oh, I would refrain from drinking. I thought I could drink it away on one of my attempts. Hangover's don't mix with this! Talk about pain.. There are many of us here that are willing to help! This website really helped me. Good luck, and hope you make a speedy recovery!

I'll do 7 days of 10mg dones at times, then taper to 5mg and off. I also keep suboxone on hand and withdraw from 4mg down to .5, then off over the course of a week.
Tramadol also helps with taper if I am out with the others, starting at 50mg in am, 50mg at night, then day 3 I do 100mg/100mg. Tramadol boost my mood and keeps the leg cramps/upset stomach at bay.
(I never mix the 3!!)

If I do a pill taper, it's different. Opiate tapers are harder for me because that part of my brain that craves makes me loose my willpower everytime.

Of course after 20+ years of battling addiction, you just learn what works and what doesn't. Good luck to anyone who is tapering.

From a pharmacy student standpoint- quiting cold turkey is very hard. Your brain will actually signal you to feel pain when you are not actually feeling any pain. Mothers who are addicted to opioids will give birth to uncontrollably crying children because even the babies in the womb are having withdrawal symptoms once they are born, and doctors will have to give the newborn babies medications because of this. I will say it is not impossible- and it may be ugly at first- but you can do it. It will be hard, but you definitely have the ability to. The strongest thing is will power, and if you can make it through the terrible stage- you can make it through the addiction without looking back! I send good vibes your way and hope the best with everything, my friend. I would recommend running when you are feeling the symptoms the most and just trying to do something positive instead of negative. Just keep your head up- and know that you were given this life for a reason, and your family loves you very much.

Your best bet is to do a quick taper you say you have 180mgs? You say 40mgs will hold you for a day? If so take 40mgs one day then take 35mgs the next day then 30mg, 25mgs, 20mgs, 15mgs, 10mgs, and lastly 5mgs. This would be the best way to taper if you don't have access to Suboxone. It will be tough that's an extremely fast taper with short acting meds which make things even harder you really should have more meds to make a longer taper plan like a month or so but if your doctor won't help you then I guess that's not possible. Its easier to taper with longer acting meds such as buprenorphine but if you don't have that this is your best bet. I would ask your doctor for clonadine to help after the taper and even during the taper to help you sleep at night and keep your blood pressure stable. Clonadine is not a narcotic it is a blood pressure medication but it should be tapered if taken for a over a week so you don't have any issues with your heart beating too fast.

Your detox will be a week of no sleep and lots of pain/depression but just keep in mind it only gets worse if you don't stop the hole only gets deeper. Whatever you do don't give up and switch to heroin like I did. I was stupid once i found out heroin was basically the same thing as oxy i started in on that but I regretted it soon after. Not good for body and soul. Your mind will create pain (phantom pain) to make you think you need meds but that passes after detox is over with so stick through it and tell yourself its the pills trying to trick you.

Good luck any more questions or if you need support I'm always here for you:D

We also have a recovery support forum section that may be useful for you.

trainspotter10102's got the right idea: The taper he suggested is your best bet, done it plenty of times, and GET SUBOXONE. Another option for blood pressure and anxiety is propranolol, look into it.

Set the pills up so that you've got your pile for each night, and that's all you get. You need to go through this, I promise you opiates will ruin your life, they nearly ruined mine for real.

Oh geez man good luck. I just got off benzos after a long fucking taper. I can't believe I'm out of Wd's and I sometimes just sit around waiting for them to come back because it was a month of non stop w/ds . Dont play with the benzo taper.

Oh geez man good luck. I just got off benzos after a long fucking taper. I can't believe I'm out of Wd's and I sometimes just sit around waiting for them to come back because it was a month of non stop w/ds . Dont play with the benzo taper.

Wat

Opiate withdrawal is nothing compared to benzos. When I tried to get off Klonopin it felt like I was dying in excruciating agony and pain in every way that you can imagine and i wasn't even coming down from too high of a dose. I'm not anti benzo and I'm still gonna take it cause that's the only thing that works for me but yeah Opiate withdrawals are a breeze in comparison. Anyone who disagrees probably got fake pills in the first place or never went through it

Opiate withdrawal is nothing compared to benzos. When I tried to get off Klonopin it felt like I was dying in excruciating agony and pain in every way that you can imagine. I'm not anti benzo and I'm still gonna take it cause that's the only thing that works for me but yeah Opiate withdrawals are a breeze in comparison. Anyone who disagrees probably got fake pills in the first place or never went through it

So I take it you haven't gone through opiate withdrawal?

What do you mean? I cant imagine how it could possibly be worse aside from dropping dead completely right then and there

Okay yes, aside from the fact that you can die from benzos withdrawal-- the actual feeling of it is not as bad as with opiates.

Go do dope for a few years and then just stop. Then come back and apologize for your comments.

I've experienced both, and opiate withdrawal is so bad that you wish it killed you.

I was on kpin for quite awhile, and although I didn't have life threatening withdrawals (at least I hope not, in hindsight I should've tapered more-- if so, that was a close one) that compared to my withdrawals when I was at a similar point with opiates... Well, there is no comparison.

Opiate withdrawal is the worst drug-induced hell a person can go through.

Not saying benzos withdrawal isn't awful, but you don't feel as bad as with opiates.

So until you've experienced both, don't make claims like that.

Now it may be different for different people, but personally, benzos were way easier to kick than dope. Like... A million times easier.

Last edited:
Okay yes, aside from the fact that you can die from benzos withdrawal-- the actual feeling of it is not as bad as with opiates.

Go do dope for a few years and then just stop. Then come back and apologize for your comments.

I've experienced both, and opiate withdrawal is so bad that you wish it killed you.

I was on kpin for quite awhile, and although I didn't have life threatening withdrawals (at least I hope not, in hindsight I should've tapered more-- if so, that was a close one) that compared to my withdrawals when I was at a similar point with opiates... Well, there is no comparison.

Opiate withdrawal is the worst drug-induced hell a person can go through.

Not saying benzos withdrawal isn't awful, but you don't feel as bad as with opiates.

So until you've experienced both, don't make claims like that.

Now it may be different for different people, but personally, benzos were way easier to kick than dope. Like... A million times easier.

Sure, a million times easier. Lol if you say so. Maybe there was something wrong with the pills you took or you were on a really low dose or both. Like I said before the fact you can die from it and you cant from the other says it all

Nice! Congrats vitaminN on being out of withdrawals from benzos. I've tapered those before… No walk in the park. :\
I have some friends that have given up and say they will be on them the rest of their life. I am so so so grateful myself to be out of the addictive cycle. yay! :)

Sure, a million times easier. Lol if you say so. Maybe there was something wrong with the pills you took or you were on a really low dose or both. Like I said before the fact you can die from it and you cant from the other says it all

You may also die from being shot in the head.

You may not die from having your face ripped off.

Which do you think seems more agonizing?

I was prescribed them and I can assure you they worked.
But like I said, as you haven't experienced both, don't make bullshit claims.

Opiate withdrawal is the worst. Try it some time.

I mean good for you you haven't had to experience that, but maybe if you do end up getting addicted to opiates you can come back and apologize.

Last edited:
You may also die from being shot in the head.

You may not die from having your face ripped off.

Which do you think seems more agonizing?

I was prescribed them and I can assure you they worked.
But like I said, as you haven't experienced both, don't make bullshit claims.

Opiate withdrawal is the worst. Try it some time.

I mean good for you you haven't had to experience that, but maybe if you do end up getting addicted to opiates you can come back and apologize.

The overwhelming majority of posters on this site that have been through both say that benzo wd is worse. So maybe you should be nicer.

The overwhelming majority of posters on this site that have been through both say that benzo wd is worse. So maybe you should be nicer.

Maybe you should read my posts.

Especially the part that goes "Now it may be different for different people, but personally..."

Maybe you should read my posts.

Especially the part that goes "Now it may be different for different people, but personally..."

Not really. You stated it as a fact when you said "Opiate withdrawal is the worst. Try it some time."

Just like the poster before said and agreed with me, its pretty much unanimous and a fact that benzo withdrawal is so get over it and theres no need to try and make yourself look tough by bragging about how you got through opiate withdrawal