• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Homeopathy: A complete waste of $$, and fraud too!

nickels said:
Jesus, I have never seen someone post more like a broken record in my life. Placebo effect, placebo effect, placebo effect, placebo effect, placebo effect...

Repetitive, true, but I'm yet to find any solid evidence within this thread that homeopathy *isn't* rubbish. I've put forward a statement (namely that no properly controlled, double-blind study ever finds a reproducible result that homeopathy is significantly more effective than placebo) and the only things that people have to say in reply are anecdotal.

If homeopathy works so well, why don't the objective studies demonstrate that?

Jesus, I have never seen someone post more like a broken record in my life. Placebo effect, placebo effect, placebo effect, placebo effect, placebo effect...

He wouldn't have to sound like a broken record if people like YOU just THOUGHT about what he stated ONCE.

nickels said:

Well that's the subject of this tread. What do you expect them to do?8)

my girlfriend bought some "calming pills" from the health food store. One day I ate a few of them and said to my self, "these things just taste like sugar." Sure enough, they were homeopathic.

then i let the warm placebo glow rush over my body...

^^^ Yes, but proposing homeopathy as a valid alternative to regular medicine is risky to that person's health.

We should seek to find the best *proven* methods of treating disease, and not give more credence to an obviously faulty area of research such as homeopathy.

Life is too short and complex for us to waste time with bogus science. Placebo effect can, and is, sometimes "prescribed" by a doctor.

The following article is direct to the point of "Placebo Effect"

If there are treatments of scientific value, a doctor should use them or tell patients about them. If the only thing the doctor can provide a patient is a placebo effect, then it is ethical to use that means. But a doctor cannot use only the placebo effect when other treatments are available--it would not be ethical.

Placebo vs. The Real Thing

lifeisforliving said:
^^^ Yes, but proposing homeopathy as a valid alternative to regular medicine is risky to that person's health.

[/URL]

Well..of course. I guess its up to the individual to decide whats best for their health.

But benefits to someone's health can largely be measured objectively. Irrespective of what a person decides is best for their health, that still may not cure their cancer. If you're talking about real diseases, then you need to talk about real cure rates. Plenty of people can think that something is good for their health when, in fact, it is not.

Its very simple. Something claims to help people. You do a double-blind trial where you compare that thing to a placebo, such as a sugar pill or saline injection or just a glass of water that you say you dissolved something in. Either the shit works better than placebo, or it does not. Homeopathy does not. A sugar pill would work just as well if you believed in it. It's really that simple. You cannot argue the facts.

On the other hand, if you do something and it makes you feel healthier, then by all means continue doing it. I do many things that medical science says does not increase your health, but when I do it, I feel healthier. Instead of ignoring the facts, take the opportunity to gain a respect for the power of the human mind.

However, as stated before, if someone is sick, it is stupid and unethical to give them a placebo and not give them the real thing.

Oh, and sorry, but that shit about 'fields' or whatever that the website linked to just made me laugh. It just states some bullshit, without giving any ways of proving it that could be replicated by others. Do you really believe everyting you read? Because I have a bridge I'd like to sell to you...