View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Holotropic Breathwork

juniorcat

Bluelighter
Hey, has anyone ever tried holotropic breathwork as a means to reach a psychedelic state?

Did it work?

This is the technique Stan Grof came up with his wife banned him from using drugs right? I've never tried it - getting high on CO2? Sounds like a load of bollocks to me.

I tried it briefly. I discontinued when people advised me it wasn't safe. Nothing much happened. I once entered a state of almost no thought and no being. That was very relaxing.

I have tried it and may again. Because of the illegality of Grof's preferred technique...LSD therapyl( which he was one of the main founders of).he developed this breathwork technique which is similar to rebirthing.
I did 2 psychedelic sessions with a follower of his.Inbolved a high dose..1000ug...and evocative music,with eyeshades to keep the focus on interior expetiences.For me,it was incredible and deeply healing.I want to resume this,but have to find an appropriate sitter.Used this way,LSD can be enormously helpful/ healing for a wide range of conditions,as discussed inGrof's classic," LSD Therapy". Should be legal and available.
The holotropic breathwork aims to bring out the same healing experiences,but using LSD is far more powerful and quicker.

I did it, no it didnt work, not even a proper panic attack. Just me, breathing faster and deeper, mentally trying to slip into a trippy state that wasnt there.

Purposefully hyperventilating just sounds sketchy to me, or at least aesthetically displeasing. Although I will admit to being interested in carbogen.

Late addition to this post, but I trained in rebirthing which is pretty much the same as holotropic breathwork (I'm not affiliated, so not a plug to the organization), and I'm surprised the consensus seems to be it doesn't work. I didn't have overly trippy experiences the first time I tried, but I commented to my instructor afterwards that if felt like acid, not knowing anything about holotropic breathwork at the time and he smiled knowingly. I've since had many mind blowing experiences on it but not as confusing as trips. Like others pointed out, it isn't as quick and guaranteed as a psych (it's hard work), but can be just as profound. I also take issue with the statement that it involves hyperventilation. I think this is the wrong word entirely. If you are hyperventilating you are doing it wrong. This is consciously-connected breathing. Your in breath is even with your out breath, it's deeper breathing than usual (you're running a marathon here so breathing too deeply can be unsustainable) and there is no pause in the transition between exhale and inhale. You keep it up for about an hour. I've gone as long as 2 and a half or so. I've was a true psychonaut at one point in my life and can attest to the effects being real.

I have tried it and may again. Because of the illegality of Grof's preferred technique...LSD therapyl( which he was one of the main founders of).he developed this breathwork technique which is similar to rebirthing.

I'm not sure he developed it solely because of the legal issues - Grof was doing LSD therapy with the dying legally into the 70s. I think another factor, possibly the main one, was his wife became extremely anti-drugs and insisted Stan not have anymore to do with them.

It works. I haven't got the holotropic breathing techniques to work for me yet but other breathing exercises can take you to the future/the past/alternate realities.

I simply do like 30 push-ups. On the down part of the push-up in exhale, on the up part I inhale. Then as I reach my last push up I inhale slowly, all the way to a standing position, finish inhaling, hold my breath. Leave my palms facing up and hold it hold it hold it and (ideally slowly exhale).

I say ideally because it seems to bring a nitrious oxide type state, except way more realistic, where I'm teleported to another time/place for a few seconds and sudden shift is so shocking that I usually let out a "woahhhh" or "what the fuck".

Like I've seen the future doing them. Like a girl you see in a vision is the same girl you'll see at the bus stop. Or like "the spirit world" or whatever you may particularly be connected to will drop hints as to how to proceed with your day.

Ever wonder why pious people seem so smug when their lives appear so boring? They do weird ass breathing exercises and lucid dream like crazy.

Yes they work but you have to believe they work. Sounds like witchcraft I know. For a while I was doing them for the nitrious wa-wa-wa effect only. The more I believed I could see the future the more of the future I could see. It's heavy duty shit.

As you proceed through the process your mind will get blown. To a point where you may not want to believe or be unable to conceive how your world view could be so wrong...or is it?

Works way better when you do them while fasting and/or eating a vegan diet. The less you weigh the further you can travel.

Haha, I got my ear rung for typing this. It's supposed to be taught telepathically only...shhh it's a secret