• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos High Dose Etizolam - Help Needed

Pale Blue Eyes

Greenlighter
I'll start by saying I'm not thiking clearly and having a hard time figuring out a doing simple tasks. Forgive me if I make little sense. I'll try my best.

Four months ago I started taking 3mg of alprazolam a day. I was about to run out so ordered 250mg of etizolam powder. I was amazed how quickly (within a few days) I started taking 25 - 30mg of etizolam daily. My benzo tolerance used to be very high and it went right back. I've tapered myself successfully from clonazolam before so I'm familiar with tapering, I just can't think clearly to figure this uot.

This is pretty pure etizolam and not some cut stuff which I've had before. I'm mad at myself for doing this and know it was stupid. I don't need a lecture because I'm beating myself up enough. I just need help anf suggestions please/ Also, I should add hat I'm taking .5mg of Suboxone daily. I know it's not much but it potentiates the benzos. .5ng of subs is enough for me to be sick when I don't take it. I also have normal side effects like severe constipation. My point is that even at a relatively small dose ,it is reacting with the benzos.

I have about 50mg of etizolam left. I also have 60mg of diclazepam. Does anyone think the 60mg of diclazepam will be enough to cross over and taper from the etizolam? Any suggestions on daily doses and how much to drop down how often? I'm aware of the Ashton Manual and the method in tapering from but can't even do simple math right noww. Should I order more diclazepam to taper if 60mg isn't enough?

I'm extremely against going to a hospital for benzo withdrawal for reasons many kno but I'm serioulsu considering it. I've never been at this high of a dose of any benzo and tbh I don't know what to do.:( Thanks in advance for any help o suggestions.

60mg of diclazepam is nowhere near enough to taper down from using 30mg of etizolam daily. I suggest, if you cannot find real benzos specifically long acting ones such as Librium, valium or Klonopin, that you find some diclazepam powder to taper with. I understand not wanting to go to a rehab facility, but if your unable to get down to a reasonable dose, then I would seriously consider it. I would recommend trying to SLOWLY switch from etizolam to diclazepam (don't switch from one to the other overnight) and then slowly taper off diclazepam. Taking it slowly is key you may want to go ahead and get a good amount of diclazepam because you'll likely need it.. it's a long tough rode that is dangerous so take it slow, take it easy, if you can't/won't go to a detox try talking to a psychiatrist who may take pity and give you something to taper off with. If you start having uncontrollable tremors or feel incredibly sick don't wait, get help immediately. Best of luck, it's hard but not impossible.

Thanks Bananananas. I've called every place my insurance will cover and they all tell me they can give me 5 to 7 days detox. So basically no on that. I'm going to give my doctor a call Monday and tell him what's going on. He has no idea. In the meantime I think I'll be placing an order for diclaz.

Well go about it in a chill way... get some powder diclaz and make your own volumetric solution, keep a stable dose and then taper.. it really just depends like have you had enough of this? Then just have a solid dose schedule of predetermined potency. Diclaz is even stronger than etiz (imo) but at doses 20-30mg+ they're both entirely different animals..

3-7-12 day detox centers were not designed for heavy benzo addicts. Many do not admit someone who has trace amounts in their system. The idea of going to a 12 day detox for benzos is almost comical. Detoxing in 20 days from a dose like that could be dangerous and is not advisable.

Just because it is a detox center does not mean they are properly staffed to even remotely deal with your situation. Social detox plus a benzo analogue addiction equals a long and expensive stay in the hospital.

Stay far away from a detox center until you taper way way down and then stabilize. Just know your WD's would just be beggening to peak upon discharge. A long term Librium taper is your best bet.

You need to switch to a benzo that has an active metabolite that can stay in your system for say 7-30 days.

It can transition to outpatient taper. I'm just saying it's better than attempting it alone

Thanks everyone. I've ordered 250mg of diclazepam powder and will taper on that. Diclazepam is good for a few reasons but most important for me is there's no real euphoria from it which makes it less likely to want to keep re-dosing.

The reason I won't got into a detox is precisely what Prescottdave said. There's no way a detox can detox someone successfully in 1 week from large amounts of benzos. It can be dangerous for anyone thinking they'll be fine after 7 days and then released while they're not even partially detoxed. It's just a 7 day band aid IMHO. I've considered inpatient detox, transitioning to outpatient but I'm not sure if any hospital/doctor would do that. As far as I know the only country that does benzo detox right is Australia and that's not an option.

Just was pointing out in case of emergency it's better then nothing

Are you making a volumetric solution with the 250mg diclaz?

Thanks everyone. I've ordered 250mg of diclazepam powder and will taper on that. Diclazepam is good for a few reasons but most important for me is there's no real euphoria from it which makes it less likely to want to keep re-dosing.

The reason I won't got into a detox is precisely what Prescottdave said. There's no way a detox can detox someone successfully in 1 week from large amounts of benzos. It can be dangerous for anyone thinking they'll be fine after 7 days and then released while they're not even partially detoxed. It's just a 7 day band aid IMHO. I've considered inpatient detox, transitioning to outpatient but I'm not sure if any hospital/doctor would do that. As far as I know the only country that does benzo detox right is Australia and that's not an option.
Ok I understand your reasons for doing it alone, do you have any close friends or relatives that you can inform them of your situation? Maybe let them know you may need them on an emergency basis to get you to a hospital if you start approaching seizure territory.
We’re all pulling for you

Thanks tacodude. Yes, I know what you meant and I appreciate it. In an emergency situation I would definitely go to a ER and then detox and then figure out what to do from there. Also, the detox/transition to outpatient detox is an excellent idea and I'd do it right away if it were possible. Maybe my doctor can help set me up when I talk to him this week.

Ok I understand your reasons for doing it alone, do you have any close friends or relatives that you can inform them of your situation? Maybe let them know you may need them on an emergency basis to get you to a hospital if you start approaching seizure territory.
We’re all pulling for you
Thank you for the question and concern. I really do appreciate it. This is very important for anyone in a situation like mine. Too many ppl (even many doctors) don't realize how dangerous and even deadly benzo withdrawal can be if it's abrupt or done improperly. I wrote down exactly what I'm on, for how long, etc. for someone I live with to give to a hospital in an emergency situation.. I included doses and names of the benzos since most doctors aren't familiar with the types I've been using. I also made a copy for myself to put in my wallet in case no one is around that knows me.

60mg of diclazepam is nowhere near enough to taper down from using 30mg of etizolam daily. I suggest, if you cannot find real benzos specifically long acting ones such as Librium, valium or Klonopin, that you find some diclazepam powder to taper with. I understand not wanting to go to a rehab facility, but if your unable to get down to a reasonable dose, then I would seriously consider it. I would recommend trying to SLOWLY switch from etizolam to diclazepam (don't switch from one to the other overnight) and then slowly taper off diclazepam. Taking it slowly is key you may want to go ahead and get a good amount of diclazepam because you'll likely need it.. it's a long tough rode that is dangerous so take it slow, take it easy, if you can't/won't go to a detox try talking to a psychiatrist who may take pity and give you something to taper off with. If you start having uncontrollable tremors or feel incredibly sick don't wait, get help immediately. Best of luck, it's hard but not impossible.

Diazepam is NOT a long acting benzodiazepine...

10mg Alprazolam = 20-30mg Etizolam,
It’s bad, though not as severe as you think (5-10mg clonazolam per day, that is... well you get it)

You need medical help, though if you could cut your dose in half first it wpould help.

Clonazepam and, to a lesser extent Lorazepam (Ativan) last longer, less redosing; Etiz wears off pretty fast.

Sure they gave good advice, good luck, though IME, Valium is useless until you get your tolerance way faster down...

Try calling 211 for the national referral service if you're in the US. You can find treatment under insurance easy

It’s bad, though not as severe as you think (5-10mg clonazolam per day, that is... well you get it)

You need medical help, though if you could cut your dose in half first it wpould help.

Clonazepam and, to a lesser extent Lorazepam (Ativan) last longer, less redosing; Etiz wears off pretty fast.

Sure they gave good advice, good luck, though IME, Valium is useless until you get your tolerance way faster down...

Thanks for your advice and help. When I was 1st put on benzos for a series of traumatic events I suffered in a short period of time leaving me with severe panic attacks and GAD, the 1st medication I was prescribed was klonopin @ 3mg per day(!). It's insane to prescribe that much to someone who's never been on benzos. This problem with doctors prescribing too much and for too long is far too common. I had never used benzos before so didn't know what to expect. I took them and kept having severe panic attacks and GAD. The klonopin didn't even make me tired... absolutely nothing, like a placebo. With a low benzo tolerance, I took 15mg in front of my horrified doctor just to prove it to her. That's when I was prescribed an alternative. I later found it's very uncommon but a small percentage of people have no effect from klonopin. I ordered clonazolam which did have an extreme effect on me. The problem was, I kept re-dosing and had a long, horrible taper from it. I couldn't function at all even though I tapered properly. It was hell. I will not touch clonazolam again.

It's my understanding that lorazepam doesn't last as long as diazepam, shorter half life. Correct me if I'm wrong. I have been prescribed lorazepam and didn't find it very helpful. I also found it to be weak compared to other prescription benzos at comparable doses. When it comes to drugs (especially benzos) the reactions they have in people can vary, sometimes drastically.

I have already ordered diclazepam which will arrive in about 2 days so I will use that to taper. It's my best option right now IMO. I will probably go to a detox when I get to a much lower dose as I want off all of this shit.

This post is filled with misinformation. Ativan is a rather short acting medication. Clonazepam has a 25 or so hour halflife but it does not have any active motabolites that I know of which stay in your system.

Diazepam and Librium are known as long acting benzodiazepines. Studies done by the NIH and the Mayo Clinic have identified several long acting metabolites of diazepam and Librium which stay in your system for up to thirty days. These motabolites include oxazapam and nordiazepam. This is why you can flag a 12 panel test 20 days after getting off diazepam and upon GC-MS anylisis oxazapam will be the first to show up.

Desmethlydiazepam is another active metabolite that has a halflife of 30-200 hours. For sources on this I would reference studies done by the Mayo Clinic but the halife of all the active motabolites are right up on Wikipedia with citations.

Last edited:
If you are looking for treatment you will find the insurance companies are moving towards covering IOP programs over residential. 211, SAMHSA and any warm lines in your state would be some helpful resources. I was just in your situation and have spent the last 4 months searching for treatment.

Thankfully I got off with a Librium taper. Have over three months completely off Benzo's. I became disgusted at the idea of a 7 day taper and then 24-30 days of residential while I battle with my insurance to cover sober housing. Instead I went with a quick medically supervised taper and then entered an out petiente treatment setting. Both of these methods were fully covered by my insurance.

The SAMHSA website has a treatment search function in which you can put in your zip and search locally. Some states have like one page of options while other states have over 10 pages.