• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Hi guys I want to quit my tramadol without getting so sick how can please?

ritikabatra1989

Greenlighter
I want to quit my tramadol from 400mg every time I get so ill. I can not go to work like this. I can get it over the counter and online as many as I like I live in New Delhi. I have 1 and a half years taking tramadol. If I reduce my dosage by 25mg per week, so total 4 month or 16 week taper, Can I avoid withdrawal 100%. I want to stop with NO sickness just one day not taking anymore and no sickness. Is this possible? No withdrawal?

Ya, if you decrease in decrements of 25mg/week from 400mg you will not feel any withdrawal. That is, if you can stick to the schedule. However, don't expect to be super productive during those 4 months either, you might feel a bit...disengaged.

A slow taper is the key.

Like KSA said, you will feel slightly crappy while tapering, especially after each dosage drop. But you will be fine enough to go to work and act like nothing is wrong. Youll feel as if your slightly withdrawaling at times but it will be manageable.

Go as slow as you need. After each drop, stabilize for as long as you need before making another drop in dosage.

Good luck. Stay strong and determined with tapering and you will be able to stop one day without going through hell.

also, you may find that you require some 'comfort meds' alongside your taper - this isn't an excuse to just go taking other drugs to replace the tramadol, but if you can trust yourself you should look at remedies for diarrhea (try to avoid medications that contain any opiates like loperamide i.e.: Immodium), cramps/aches (paracetemol/ibuprofen) and insomnia (hydroxyzine/promethazine/mirtazipine. be very careful here - in the UK a short course of zopiclone is prescribed when finally completing an opiate taper but these are addictive hence can only be taken short term). also things like supplements and, particularly as tramadol has antidepressant properties, you may want to investigate whether a course of antidepressants are right for your situation and you.

forgive the grammatical and representational mistakes i'm pretty sleepy and good luck man

A slow taper is the key.

Like KSA said, you will feel slightly crappy while tapering, especially after each dosage drop. But you will be fine enough to go to work and act like nothing is wrong. Youll feel as if your slightly withdrawaling at times but it will be manageable.

Go as slow as you need. After each drop, stabilize for as long as you need before making another drop in dosage.

Good luck. Stay strong and determined with tapering and you will be able to stop one day without going through hell.

This.

Also I would consider tapering off a different opioid, such as hydrocodone, as to avoid the nasty ssri symptoms..

Also I would consider tapering off a different opioid, such as hydrocodone, as to avoid the nasty ssri symptoms..

I'm not understanding this what you're saying. I should stop the tramadol and switch over to the hydrocodone and taper the hydrocodone?

Thanks everybody for advice and MDPV Psychosis I do hope to stop without going through hell because hell it is. Every time I stop I suffer I am so scared to stop I am a slave

I'm not understanding this what you're saying. I should stop the tramadol and switch over to the hydrocodone and taper the hydrocodone?

Thanks everybody for advice and MDPV Psychosis I do hope to stop without going through hell because hell it is. Every time I stop I suffer I am so scared to stop I am a slave

No, first taper with the tramadol. At a reduction of 25mg per week as you mentioned, should be good.

To start, you can also drop your dose to maybe 300mg (50mg 6 times throughout the day, or 100mg 3 times throughout the day, I've read tramadol is metabolized better when you take small 50mg doses every hour or so, so you get more effects over time from less tramadol), and see if that hop down to 300mg in a day has noticeable withdrawals.

If it doesn't or they are bearable, you already gain a big head start in your taper and knock a month of the length of the taper time off. Usually you can make a big jump of lowering your dose by 25%-50% at the beginning of the taper, without getting much withdrawals, you just won't get a "high" anymore, and you have to understand that you can no longer expect a high or seek a high from the tramadol.

Stick to your taper, and never go above your taper dose, consistency is key in a taper. When you get down to say 25mg of tramadol per day, if you aren't experiencing any bad withdrawals which you shouldn't as long as you taper slowly, you will be fine to jump off with minimal withdrawals, if any at all.

Tramadol has two withdrawals to it in a sense; A opiate withdrawal with typical opiate withdrawal symptoms, and then an anti-depressant withdrawal. This is because tramadol has a SNRI mechanisms of action (serotonin-norepenephrine re-uptake inhibitor), along with some mu-opiod receptor action. And the best way to get off opiates or anti-depressants with minimal withdrawals is a slow taper, and it's how a doctor ideally would do it. This should mitigate most, if not all withdrawal symptoms, aside from maybe some fatigue during the taper.

Last edited:
No, first taper with the tramadol. At a reduction of 25mg per week as you mentioned, should be good.

To start, you can also drop your dose to maybe 300mg (50mg 6 times throughout the day, or 100mg 3 times throughout the day, I've read tramadol is metabolized better when you take small 50mg doses every hour or so, so you get more effects over time from less tramadol), and see if that hop down to 300mg in a day has noticeable withdrawals.

If it doesn't or they are bearable, you already gain a big head start in your taper and knock a month of the length of the taper time off. Usually you can make a big jump of lowering your dose by 25%-50% at the beginning of the taper, without getting much withdrawals, you just won't get a "high" anymore, and you have to understand that you can no longer expect a high or seek a high from the tramadol.

Stick to your taper, and never go above your taper dose, consistency is key in a taper. When you get down to say 25mg of tramadol per day, if you aren't experiencing any bad withdrawals which you shouldn't as long as you taper slowly, you will be fine to jump off with minimal withdrawals, if any at all.

Tramadol has two withdrawals to it in a sense; A opiate withdrawal with typical opiate withdrawal symptoms, and then an anti-depressant withdrawal. This is because tramadol has a SNRI mechanisms of action (serotonin-norepenephrine re-uptake inhibitor), along with some mu-opiod receptor action. And the best way to get off opiates or anti-depressants with minimal withdrawals is a slow taper, and it's how a doctor ideally would do it. This should mitigate most, if not all withdrawal symptoms, aside from maybe some fatigue during the taper.

Thank you for taking the time to give your advice. This is true. I have to stop getting high it over very true its time to start going to 300 instead of 375 and then 350 and then 325. I can save 4 week like you say. I have come to terms with myself that now this is not about getting high that is over. This is now about getting off of the tramadol without making myself suffer the illness. I will take your advice I wil only take 100mg more today, not 200. So 300 this week then the regular plan of -25mg per week like this. Thanks for clarifying I hope in 12 weeks I can update this thread and say I did not have any withdraws and become a testament to slow steady tapars.

Thank you for taking the time to give your advice. This is true. I have to stop getting high it over very true its time to start going to 300 instead of 375 and then 350 and then 325. I can save 4 week like you say. I have come to terms with myself that now this is not about getting high that is over. This is now about getting off of the tramadol without making myself suffer the illness. I will take your advice I wil only take 100mg more today, not 200. So 300 this week then the regular plan of -25mg per week like this. Thanks for clarifying I hope in 12 weeks I can update this thread and say I did not have any withdraws and become a testament to slow steady tapars.

Just to clarify because you said you will not have any withdrawals:

You will experience slight withdrawals for a few days each time you drop your dose. It won't be hell, but it will be noticeable. You may feel slightly achy, lethargic, minor temperature issues, runny nose, watery eyes, increased emotions, difficulty sleeping etc. Just accept it as necessary and realize it is only temporary. Dealing with slight withdrawals is a breeze compared to the hell of full withdrawals... Try to keep that in mind, it'll help.

Good luck. You can do this :)

Just to clarify because you said you will not have any withdrawals:

You will experience slight withdrawals for a few days each time you drop your dose. It won't be hell, but it will be noticeable. You may feel slightly achy, lethargic, minor temperature issues, runny nose, watery eyes, increased emotions, difficulty sleeping etc. Just accept it as necessary and realize it is only temporary. Dealing with slight withdrawals is a breeze compared to the hell of full withdrawals... Try to keep that in mind, it'll help.

Good luck. You can do this :)

As long as he is dropping by 25mg, and stabilising at the new dose for a week at a time, I think the withdrawals during the taper will be very minimal. He should be able to go to work and feel roughly 80% normal or so. Don't be scared thinking you might get severe withdrawals while tapering slowly OP, you should feel as I said, roughly 80% normal, so going about your normal life shouldn't be to much more difficult then usual.

Cold turkeying sucks but the worst will be over in it a week for a 3/400mg a day for 3 months. Tram wd sucks worse than oxycodone wd for me, expect a week into it. You're gonna need to boost your serotonin - vitamin store. Tramadol wd'S suck having the debilitating depressive crash with overuse. It won't be easy but, you'll be back to normal after a couple weeks of panic attacks, eat good and excercise. Antidepressants helped me but I don't think they make short acting one? Best of luck -ritikabatra1989

Taper 10-25% a week, and then do a slower taper from 50mg a day to zero. Tramadol dependence ain't nothing to fuck with: it has unique anti-depressant activities and acts on many receptors (a pharmacologically "dirty drug").

You might have some depression cuz tramadol sure hits the serotonin receptors.

I never had much trouble with tramadol. I had an Rx when it was just my back and some Vicodin Rx as well.

I would run out all the time but took it mainly when I was sore. I skateboarded every day and was starting to get free skate boards which is far from sponsored but you are expected to film a trick or two for the store doing something dangerous.

Anyways I was still taking tablets daily. On the rare occasions I felt like shit I took Tylenol do deal with it.

I am just saying wd won't be that bad but if it all you took it could feel like coming off something harder.

I would talk to a dr and if you want to keep it off your record ask your dr if they will talk off the record. Most do, some don't. I have gotten way better advice and medication for being a bit more candid but you really should ask before going there and still keep some things to yourself.

I have a good relationship with my dr. Honestly if you are having trouble with coming off and wish too most drs will Rx some detox meds such as stomach, muscle relaxer, and heart tablets. In my case I can get clonodine no questions asked so I have some if I need it in case I dig too big of a hole.

Clonodine is used in drug treatment and it helps with cold sweats and chills you out a bit. I am not a dr or giving you medical advice. It is a med you have to taper off but my dr knows I will do it right.

He just knows I don't want to go to a hospital if I get strung out on booze. Yeah I have had bad alcohol habits and opiate ones. Suppose it's a bit of empathy on the physician's part.

This.

Hydrocodone is a great suggestion. I used it to get through the acute part of withdrawing from...a lot of different opioids, at the same time. It was the only successful detox I did. And there was very little depression throughout, at least compared to true CT withdrawal. If you can get some without acetaminophen (unless you can get by on just a couple hydros a day) it's a good option.

Why would the OP go on something stronger and actually rather addictive if they are wanting off tramadol which is at the bottom of the opiate totem pole?

Why would the OP go on something stronger and actually rather addictive if they are wanting off tramadol which is at the bottom of the opiate totem pole?

Agreed. The only opioid I would recommend switching to would be kratom, and to taper with that. However, tramadol apparently has SSRI effects and going from your normal dose to none may not be a good idea because of such (I could be wrong about that). I think a slow taper with tramadol is probably your best option.

400mg's is a lot, at that point, would a lower dose of hydro really be that much worse? And like hopeless was saying, it'd get you through the nasty ssri symptoms. But I guess you could make an argument for codeine too?

Maybe I shouldn't talk though, because I was wd'ing from everything and didn't get any recreational effects worth a damn. I was too much of a junkie to ever get anything out of hydro besides some help withdrawing, I guess.

hydro would be stronger no matter what does you took.

I would rather have 10 mgs of hydro then 400 of tramadol.

I take pain medicine because I am in pain from injuries. I have an rx. The inevitable physical dependence comes along and it takes a toll if you can't balance things which is easier said than done.