• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin heroin tapering - avoiding wd possible ?

Roachsucker

Bluelighter
Long story short i have been using h daily for about a year now and have reached the end of the tether... i have managed to go from 7 bags a day (snorting) to approx 2/3 bag... in the past i would stop cold turkey when using more than this and avoid any major symptoms, but even after tapering to this point i just cannot let go without onset of nausea, sleeplessness, vomiting....

Question is - is it possible to keep tapering to a point where i can avoid wd or will i get my comeuppance no matter what due to long time of use?

Thanks for any info

Opioid w/d definitely gets worse with every time and prolonged use. You can minimize the discomfort greatly by tapering, can't say to what degree though, you'll get responses from better knowing individuals for sure :) but loperamide, clonidine, maybe pregabalin/gabapentin and/or memantine (unfortunately all prescription-only besides the lope) can help much.

short answer to your question is NO

no matter how low you taper, you will still feel minor withdrawals, in your case it will be some discomfort, but nothing terrible

no matter how hard you try, you cannot escape the debt you owe to heroin...

The more you taper, the easier it will be but its not possible to do it without any discomfort in my experience.

In my experience it was easier to switch from smack to subs and taper with them. I'd still withdrawal but I could taper with them more effectively. I don't know though you've managed to taper to a small amount of dope(kudos to you) I couldn't taper unless I went broke then I went fro much to whatever I could afford.

But anyway with the subs they build in your blood stream and you can get to a point where you skip a day . But either ay you will feel some discomfort. Did you think all this pleasure comes without a price? Sorry just being a dick, it won't be anything you can't handle . Kick this fucker life is much better dope free!

Oh believe me tapering w/ heroin is an oxymoron. It's far too pleasurable in high does and leaves you unsatisfied at low doses "tapering doses". You will definitely feel W/D tapering w/ heroin more intensely than bupe.

In my experience; definitely not. I've found that no matter which opiate, you can taper until you're basically on an inactive dose, but for some reason, despite being able to reduce from a ridiculous dose, to nearly nothing at all - without really suffering WD, that final jump from a 'token' dose of basically nothing - to actually nothing, seems to bring on the WD. You can definitely avoid the really severe withdrawals though.

That said - tapering from heroin is incredibly difficult, I honestly don't know why anyone would - there are far better drugs to taper/quit with (even avoiding the prescribed maintenance drugs - sub/mdone.)

That said - tapering from heroin is incredibly difficult, I honestly don't know why anyone would - there are far better drugs to taper/quit with (even avoiding the prescribed maintenance drugs - sub/mdone.)
You are echoing my sediments. I said there's a price just thought subs are a lil easier to control.

Tapering is possible, and leads to easier detoxes, but you still have to pay the opiate gods in the end. You've been suppressing your natural endorphins (endogenous morphine) for a long period of time, and it takes some time to reach homeostasis in the brain once off of opiates. So yea, you may be able to avoid the horrors of acute withdrawal, but you will almost without a doubt feel PAWs to some extent whilst your brain is recharging and trying to make it's own endorphins.

Do you have GP? I would try to get valium and zofran. I actually have a stockpile of clonidine, valium, zofran, tagamet, as well as a veritable cornicopia of suppliments that I took the times I was trying to detox on my own (numerous).

You will need to pay the piper when it comes to opiate abuse, however it is not the acute withdrawal you need to worry about. It is easy to get through with the right meds and proper tapering(which you have done). It is the PAWS, and then the reboot of your lifestyle that gets difficult. It is easier to get clean than to stay clean.

For the PAWS, there is much that could be done but isn't in the general practice. The alzheimer's drug and NMDA antagonist memantine could be prescribed off-label and it is the fucking best thing available by prescription to get off opioid habits and to restore dopamine / endorphin neurotransmission. Only the dose needs to be high enough, in studies they used up to 60mg and this is okay.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18026718
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11512037
http://www.nature.com/articles/srep10140
and so on

But even dextromethorphan can help:
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2013/546030/

Really, share and spread this information. It works. It is true harm and suffering reduction.

In my experience; definitely not. I've found that no matter which opiate, you can taper until you're basically on an inactive dose, but for some reason, despite being able to reduce from a ridiculous dose, to nearly nothing at all - without really suffering WD, that final jump from a 'token' dose of basically nothing - to actually nothing, seems to bring on the WD. You can definitely avoid the really severe withdrawals though.

This is because your body needs nanograms to have a neurological response that changes mood and feeling. Think about the amount of neurotransmitters in your brain that make you "happy" and experience things, they are probably very few in amount so it kind of makes sense that jumping at a low dose is going to make you upset. It might not make you physically sick but I would imagine its hard to take your body from any amount down to 0, 0 is way different then any number.

But yes you always pay a little maybe not a lot but you definitely feel something. And think of a taper as "controlled suffering" you can control the degree and time you suffer but we all suffer the same amount in the end. Some take it all at once in 3 days of mega suffering some take 2 years to come off methadone but we all suffer.

That is how i view it and i gain comfort knowing that i choose when and how much.

But to answer whether its possible or not it is but with extreme caution. My girlfriend wanted to try this she managed to get to 1 bag of shit dope a day but then the shit dope suddenly got really good and ruined that. Could it have worked if she had will power up the ass, probably, but that 1 bag of awesome dope got her nodding when she was just maintaining for 3 months lowering her dose and in a sense ruined everything. If you have a good steady quality and will power to boot i dont see why it couldnt be done. it is way easier to do it in a controlled environment with suboxone or methadone. There is less room for error.

I've always wanted to design some sort of automatic dose dispenser that tapers anyone based upon an algorithm that takes into account all relevant factors - maybe even an implant. It could make being an addict much simpler for future generations.

In response, I think you theoretically could eliminate virtually all suffering if time was no issue and you planned (and stuck to) a PERFECT taper schedule but it is usually more feasible to suffer a little and be done with it.

Here's my two pence IMO it don't matter if u taper or don't a clucks a cluck I've done many krantom subbie meth and cold turkey and IMO they all same after 5 days I'm brand new for me its the no sleep and riding the bike at nite I've been on tackle for 4 years and just done another cold turkey this time I'm done society puts a cluck on such a pederstal it really ain't bad its the anxiety the thought that's it if it was so bad there wud b no smackheads cos after first cluck u b like f*#k that but its not BTW I get really good dark my way I know its got a lot of heroin in it cos it takes a lot of citric to cook the more u use the more heroin is in gear

Here's my two pence IMO it don't matter if u taper or don't a clucks a cluck I've done many krantom subbie meth and cold turkey and IMO they all same after 5 days I'm brand new for me its the no sleep and riding the bike at nite I've been on tackle for 4 years and just done another cold turkey this time I'm done society puts a cluck on such a pederstal it really ain't bad its the anxiety the thought that's it if it was so bad there wud b no smackheads cos after first cluck u b like f*#k that but its not BTW I get really good dark my way I know its got a lot of heroin in it cos it takes a lot of citric to cook the more u use the more heroin is in gear
What the cluck are you talking about?
If I can translate(I'll try my best) I think op in part was saying that the anticipation of wds makes them worse and with this I must agree. I detoxed in prison and it sucked but it was easier then on the street because I knew I couldn't get it(unless I blew someone and I wasn't that sick). But wds still suck but there is a mind over matter component to it somewhat!

Yes that's exactly wot I'm saying each cluck I've done I've been good after 5-6 days like brand new the first 3 days r worst the subbie help me used sub after 40 hours 8mg then 18 hours later 3mg then nothing in was fine after day 5 meth I used for 2 days and started a day after last dig krantom I used every 4 hours for 2 days say 20g at time two table spoons again day 5 brand new and cold turkey well fine after day 5 tbh all the clucks was no different I now believe all was placebos In these rapid clucks and far easier than true tapers I've tapered of meth and sub over a few weeks months and trust me once was down to half a ml mg it was harder than cold turkey

No. I can't believe you've been able to go CT with minor withdrawal symptoms....that is unbelievable fortunate. I myself, have never been fortunate that way.

It truly gets worse and worse with time...if you're able to, try to detox medically supervised. And Lyrica (Pregablin) does help ALOT. And is not that difficult to taper off of....if you take it short term.

I've been there and back with heroin. And other opiates. Ive never found or been able to just "taper" off. I was forced to do it cold turkey-twice now. Fortunately, the second time, for the past year and a little have worked. I am on Neurontin daily. 800mg 3x day. That has helped me emotionally. Even though I feel much better I still go thru cravings. Its an on-going process. Good luck to you.