• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

herbal downers-kava vs. valerian

StaySedated

Bluelighter
which would you say is a better herbal downer?

valerian-can feel "benzo-like" at heavy doses, tends to impair clear thought more than kava, not really euphoric but can ease stress, tension, insomnia, and anxiety pretty well. supplements are also more consistant with effects, unlike kava

kava-seems pretty popular. in this comparison, i'm talking about store bought pills, extracts and teas, NOT fresh from figi or hawaii or "the good stuff" from the internet vendors. effects have been kind of a hit and miss for me, it can feel alcohol and benzo like, but very crudely and it lacks the sedation of valerian. however, it too can help with stress and anxiety, but not so much for insomnia. also, it is easier to be sociable on kava than valerian.

well, which would you say is a better "all around" herbal downer?

aren't valerian root alkaloids (or whatevere) have GABA action like benzo's

And Isn't kava kava an SSRI containing plant?

try making a valerian root & kratom tea..

I haven't had luck with store bought, extract or tincture or pill form kava.
I think kava works wayyy better is you have fresh plant and eat it, make tea, etc from that. I think the OTC drug store varieties are very weak. Unless you don't mind taking half the bottle for one dose.

Valerian works for me, but its also weak. People get caught up in comparing it to benzo's. Its not.

Just because valerian might have GABA action does not make it comparable to benzo's. If you are looking to feel like you've taken a benzo then OTC valerian is probably not what you are seeking. what you are seeking is xanax, klonopin, etc..

that being said. Valerian does act as a mild sedative. Its safe over a wide dose range. The pills you usually buy are in the range of 300-600mg each. I'd say if you only take one, you won't really feel much. Even if you take two you may not notice anything.

IMO doses above 1000mg are where you start to notice effects. I usually take at least 3 of my 450mg pills. it says take up to 5 of them. So if you are really looking to try and find some benzo comparison, start with a much higher dose 1500mg and above.

Also, it seems like there could be a mega thread for herbal sedatives.
Lately there have been a lot of posts about them and their uses. I've posted in more than 4 threads about valerian, kava, melatonin, chamomile, lemon balm, etc..

hmm.. i want to try valerian. just to relax and ease some stress. i have panic attacks so maybe that might help? the lexapro seems to be doing nothing for my anxiety.

I almost purchased some kava today but held off to do more research. I have been on a supplement kick lately and wonder if anyone on the boards uses valerian or any other supplement regularly to help with relaxation. Stress has been an issue lately, and I am about to try some valerian. Just a standardized OTC, Nature's Way.

Does anyone have any experience with valerian, kava, l-theanine etc. How do they compare to each other in your experience?

Hi I'm new here not sure what I'm doing. Question. I prepare kava from the powdered root using water. I've strained it but other times have somehow managed to gulp it down unstrained.
What is a simple way I can get it to taste better? The aftertaste is ghastly!
Thanks