• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Hep! These withdrawals are hell

short, intense exercise would have the opposite effect but a long session of steady physical work does the trick nicely, and is probably the healthiest way to force yourself to pass out.

Intense for me is about 11 calories/minute of aerobic activity. Though that's probably childs play to really active people. I find 45 minutes early in the day slows my racing mind down and I sleep better. Unfortunately, I find myself drifting off at work a little hehe.

I can relate to what your going through its defininently no fun=/ especially during the winter it seems as if its waay harder to take t breaks this time of year. What i honestly find helps me is working out i know i know its probably the last thing you feel like doing when youve been laying around all day but you gotta just say fuck it and push yourself hard turn on some fuckiing black flag punk rock and just jump around and go crazy!thats the best way to get myself going all you gotta do is find what gets you energized the most and then its grindmode.

I found benadryl worked alright for insomnia, etizolam even better if you have access.
It really only lasts maybe 3 days, getting a bit better each night.
I'm in the same boat as you now, but blazing pretty much non stop for almost a year and now I can't sleep and can hardly eat without being stoned

I thought of some more stuff:

- Try sleeping in a different room. This can be a bad habit, but sometimes you really need that sleep. Sleeping on my couch is the best solution for me.
- Wind down an hour or so before bed. Avoid tv, internet, smart phones, etc. Maybe lie on a couch/floor. Focus on your breathing, a spot on the ceiling, the hum of your fridge, etc.
- Avoid caffeine after noon and avoid alcohol several hours before bed.
- Use your bed for sleeping and sex only. Don't hang out there for other reasons. The idea is to train your mind that being in bed means going to sleep.
- If you can't sleep after a half hour or so, go to another room and do some boring activity. Knit, read, etc until you are ready to sleep.
- Try to avoid taking pills (particularly benzos) if possible. If you have to, be serious about following your doctors orders and weening off. Also, your doc may prescribe something stronger than you need. Accurate reporting of the drug's effects is important.
- Put work/school down when you're not there. Don't check your e-mails, stress over projects, relive stressful interactions, etc.

Read up on sleep hygiene. It's a lot of common sense stuff, but it's easy to overlook with the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

Good luck. Insomnia sucks.

Wish it were always that easy. Exercise knocks me out now. But when my insomnia first started, it seemed like no amount of exercise would get me a good night of sleep.

The trick for dealing with the sleeplessness is falling into/finding a routine that works well for you.

I've been relying on OTC sleep medication as a crutch for a long, long time now because I'm on a super late/early shift that starts around 3am on a good day, close to 1am when we're slammed and 11pm during Christmas and the summer months. So yeah, I've had to find a way to force myself to sleep every night for the better part of two years now.

The trick without medication is to simply exhaust yourself, physically and mentally, at least 6 hours before the time you want to fall asleep. You don't want to get your body all pumped up a half hour before you need to catch some rest-- that won't work and will likely keep you awake longer than if you had just done nothing at all.

As a back-up, if I can't see myself asleep by 9pm then I take 50mg diphenhydramine and 3mg melatonin and I'm usually out like a light within 30min as long as I'm in bed lying down.

Repetition is key, though. If you keep a routine everyday, your body will become accustomed to it and, eventually, you'll find your mind shutting down for sleep automatically around the time you've been forcing yourself to bed. It can take a while to "train" your body to a different schedule, but if you've got a serious issue with weed that you're willingly addressing, I think you've got the fortitude to tackle sleeplessness with minimal medication.

withdrawal from prolonged daily use is certainly no joke.

I usually taper down to smoking one bowl at night time, from there i have no problems quitting. If i maintain that level for a week or two, i can stop without having any sort of discomfort except some really vivid dreams, which are kinda cool.

after smoking for 3 years every day all day, grams a day, i stopped cold turkey. The withdrawal felt like a solid Opiate withdrawal during the first 24 hours. It never gets worse than that though. I was put on seroquel, that really helped keep me leveled, it also HUGELY perked up my appetite.

Good luck to you!

3g melatonin +2g etizolam will put you too sleep in no time and will stop you waking up in the night too. whats also good about this combo is it wont leave you feeling groggy next day like otc sleep meds.

just taper the use of the etizolam cuz tolerance can build quickly once you start getting into a routine you will start feeling better. make sure you sleep in complete darkness too.

3g melatonin +2g etizolam will put you too sleep in no time and will stop you waking up in the night too. whats also good about this combo is it wont leave you feeling groggy next day like otc sleep meds.

just taper the use of the etizolam cuz tolerance can build quickly once you start getting into a routine you will start feeling better. make sure you sleep in complete darkness too.

Etizolam.... I haven't heard much about it. I've thought about ordering it but I just haven't found a source that I trust enough. [AND I'M NOT ASKING FOR ONE. NO SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE.]

I do know that thienodiazepine sounds weird as hell to me, though, and I don't personally know anybody who's tried the stuff.

i know its easy enough to get online in the uk but not sure about anywhere else. i use it mainly for comedowns or if i got something really important next day i use it to help with deeper sleep alongside melatonin (which i use every night) but never take it every day.

a quick google search and i'm sure you will find somewhere to buy. not sure if its illegal anywhere.

Man, I did a day or two of detox earlier this week. Can I just say, I tried exercise - very unfit but went and jogged two and a bit laps of a soccer pitch, did maybe half a dozen push-ups (lol) maybe 20 sit-ups (still pretty lol), went for a - admittedly short but still very exhausting bike ride - that night still wide awake. Tried MY remedy of 50mg of promethazine, lay in bed for three hours, took another 25mg, and nothing, lay there until 7 AM before I finally drifted off (no alcohol either, admittedly, maybe wasn't all down to pot withdrawals, I drink daily). Next day, *straight* to my friends place and got another 1/4 oz - fuck that shit. Problem is, uni starts soon, I gotta try and get my shit together but I really don't wanna :(

bit, do you know what keeps you up?

For example, my issue is racing thoughts. Sober or fucked up, I just can't get myself/my thoughts to shut the fuck up when I lay down for sleep.

My doctor said, "Yeah. That's stress," a loooooooooong time ago. I don't know about everybody else, but when I'm stressed and exhausted, the stress takes precedence. I'm not sleeping until I can stop focusing so intensely on things that are, at the moment, irrelevant.

Nah, it's just a lack of tiredness. I'm pretty self-aware when it comes to this sort of thing, I abused meth and have a very good understanding of my own sleep cycles and what will or won't trigger sleep - like, I can honestly tell when my brain changes wavelength and have watched myself fall asleep on numerous occasions. I'm always comfortable when I have withdrawal induced insomnia in the sense that I know exactly what's gong on, I just need to ride it out and it's cool - well, kinda cool, can't really say I "rode it out" when my resp[onse was to go and get on again so I didn't have insomnia the next night. But, yeah, my addictions - theyre real but i AM self aware, lol at myself >>>>> 8)

EDIT:

BTW - don't want to discourage anyone else from engaging in the sensible and efficacious strategy of using exercise and healthy living to combat withdrawal induced insomnia - it really does work, I'm just a lazy shite who probably doesn't exercise enough and - more likely - the first night of *any* withdrawal process is going to be problematic, the second night will *always* be easier, so if you don't succeed the first time don't ever be discouraged from trying again :)

The point of my post really was to say that even the chemical based "daddy's little helper" that I encouraged earlier in the thread isn't necessarily going to solve the problem, it can help and it has in the past, but my latest experience was largely unsuccessful and you should bear that in mind if you are going to take antihistamine's to combat drug induced insomnia

#harmreduction

Last edited:
^ Me neither. If anything, weed keeps me up. I used to smoke in uni to help combat fatigue when studying.

Of course that made it harder to concentrate, but it did keep me going.

^ That sounds novel to me...I always needed good hard prescription amphetamines to do my work back then...

Man, weed withdrawal...I don't know man, I've had around an 8th a day (and it was good chronic for what its worth) habit when I was living a little larger than I do now a few years ago, and shit sucked, but it rolled off in a second. 2 weeks max, there's absolutely no residual effect, in my experience.

Exercise is what's up - that's what I'd suggest. Or, alternatively, just something productive but long-winded and hard to finish, like focusing on your work or something. Other than that, the rationalization, weed = substance that I like a lot and that is expensive, usually makes me realize, oh yeah, I like that shit, but, it is fucking expensive, so, uh, yeah, I'm good. That works for me anyway. Not to be too simplistic, but weed withdrawal, even when pronounced as in your case, is, admittedly, 99+% (this percentage is not derived from scientific data - just my empirical observations, if you want to call it that) psychological...

anywhere from 1-3 grams a day. I'm not a really heavy user

Did I read that correctly, OP? I have been using cannabis for 25+ years, and I don't think I have ever used more than 1 gram in a day (by myself). Don't know who you are comparing yourself to, but that sounds like pretty heavy use to me.

Exercise: Thujone's comment was spot on. Go for a long, medium-paced walk (or jog, or swim, if you can handle it). Stretch afterward. It helps tremendously.

Also, meditation helps a lot, I find.

And, cannabis withdrawals can be nasty, but just remember that they only last a few days, a week maybe, or up to two weeks tops for the bad part. After that, another week or two of lower-level, easily-dealible stuff, and then you will have your life in control again. It is SOOO worth it. Be strong. It is not easy, but you will gain self-respect and confidence, not to mention a cleaner body and mind.

I'm trying to figure out why I have never had WD's from pot. I've been smoking for about 35 years. Sometimes I smoke heavy and daily for months and sometimes I won't smoke anything for months. It doesn't matter how much or for how long I smoke I never get WD's and neither do any of my long time stoner friends. I know what WD's are all about because I took pain killers for about 7 years after a back injury.
I do know that synthetic THC can cause some unpleasant WD's but nowhere near as bad as opiates. I'm sure some scumbags somewhere are lacing pot with synthetic THC to increase the potency and profit. The synthetic garbage is dirt cheap and I doubt it could be detected by smell or taste.

Last edited:
^ That sounds novel to me...I always needed good hard prescription amphetamines to do my work back then...

Yeah weed really gets my mind racing. Contributes to my anxiety if I smoke too much. There's been times when I start pacing from room to room. At least studying gives me something to direct that energy on.