• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Help!!!!

Yes, the situation mentioned by the OP definately has a high chance pf tramsmission
Hepatitis C can Survive in a syringe for up to 63 days.

It was found that the hepatitis C virus could live in syringes for up to 63 days in high volume tuberculin syringes with detachable needles compared to a little more than seven days survival time in low volume insulin syringes with permanent needles.
The author of the study recommended that only low vol- ume syringes with permanent needles be given to people who inject drugs by needle exchange, but of course in a perfect world people should never share any injection drug equipment .
(source)

Also:

Injection drug users should make sure that needles, syringes, and works are sterile and never shared. Never draw drugs out of a supply that has been mixed in a shared and possibly contaminated container. (source)

Also, here's a great Bluelight thread discussion including multiple study's regarding the transmission of Hep C without sharing syringes but rather cookers, cottons, and water. There are some interesting facts, though they won't be of much help now for your boyfriend.

As far as treatment options, please check out the following links:

Alpha Interferon & Ribavarin

Some newer treatment options-Boceprevir & Telaprevir

Ribavirin and Peginterferon.http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a605029.htmlhttp://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a605029.html

The last link provided is probably irrelevant for this situation, but for others it could be useful. From what I gather peginterferon is used in patients with long term Hep-C who have shown resistance to Alpha Interferon.

Last edited:
[QUOTE=Swimmingdancer

The other thing is how can you know that this person only has HEP C? After using drugs that have come from someone else's syringe, one should get tested for all diseases that can be transmitted this way and take precautions to avoid infecting anyone else in case they have contracted something.

This girl has been a good friend for a long time and she got bad into drugs we just recently started talking and hanging out again and she came out and told me she has it and starts treatment in 2 weeks. i think i am just going to abstain from sex with him i mean its been 2 months already and i don't think its worth the risk of a condom breaking and well if he leaves me bc i wont sleep with him than he isn't worth it anyways. since he started using he is a completely different person god I wish i could have the old him back

You need to make aqua regia, add sulfuric acid drop wise until the solution starts to boil, and then leave the needle in the solution for 10 minutes in order to disinfect.

This is proper procedure!

what in all do i need for it and where can I get it. Also how did you obtain this information and will it kill HIV/AIDS AND HEP C OR ANY OTHER BLOOD TRANSMITTED DISEASES??

Actually, you would be amazed what you can get away with.... however in saying this, always try your best to be hygienic, otherwise yeah one day you come to realize it's too late. Over red rover.

Swimmingdancer: "I would not start panicking if you shared a drinking straw with him, but as I said above you can't know whether this woman had any other diseases, so if you want to be absolutely safe you may have to seriously limit your contact with your boyfriend unfortunately.

Here's another link on whether or not HEP C can be transmitted by saliva and what you can do to reduce your risk: http://www.hepatitis-central.com/mt/...liva_tran.html "

Good advice and a good link.

FWIW, my gf of 6 years had Hep C before we ever met. We never shared needles but we always had unprotected sex (any time of the month) and we shared razors, nail clippers, and toothbrushes. I'm still Hep-free 2 yrs after our breakup.

what in all do i need for it and where can I get it. Also how did you obtain this information and will it kill HIV/AIDS AND HEP C OR ANY OTHER BLOOD TRANSMITTED DISEASES??

It was a joke. If you do that you'll end up with a green solution and no needle lol!

On a more serious term, change ur fkn needle and if you really really can't, use a blue flame to burn it. Still, you shouldn't be using a needle more than once so no matter what you do it's wrong.

*sigh* i hope i don't get flamed for this, but.....

it is highly unlikly that sharing tweezers, toothbrushes, water glasses, etc, will transmit Hep C. and NO: it is NOT transmitted via ANY bodily fluid contact OTHER than blood to blood - not blood to mucus, etc. this is one of the variables that make its transmission markedly different then other such viruses, mainly HIV. with that said, it only takes a microscopic, invisible to the naked eye amount, of blood in ANY fluid, bodily or otherwise, to transmit the virus. i have hep C. because of this i have never let my partners use my razors, toothbrushes, tweezers, etc, though in long term relationships i have had unprotected sex, and have yet to transmit the virus. (yet the fact that i'm a woman, and my parters have all been men, plays into this) . please - i'm not suggesting anyone b careless, but i also don't want people to start being aftaid to share water glasses w/people who have hep C, in the same way i don't want people to b afraid to shake someone's hand because that person has HIV.

as for sharing equiptment w/someone who has hep c: DO NOT share ANYTHING - that includes cottons, "cleaned rigs", water glasses (used to rinse gear) - not a single fucking thing, because THAT is how u get it: blood to blood, and that is what IV use is all about.

good luck
g

Last edited:
Hep C can be transmitted through sex. I would never share a tooth brush because microscopic blood can be on it and if you have any openings in your mouth it can find its way into your body. A lot of people have bleeding gums, mouth ulcers, opening in the tonsils, or abrasions from brushing your teeth roughly.

Transmission / Exposure
How is Hepatitis C spread?
Hepatitis C is spread when blood from a person infected with the Hepatitis C virus enters the body of someone who is not infected. Today, most people become infected with the Hepatitis C virus by sharing needles or other equipment to inject drugs. Before 1992, when widespread screening of the blood supply began in the United States, Hepatitis C was also commonly spread through blood transfusions and organ transplants.
People can become infected with the Hepatitis C virus during such activities as

Sharing needles, syringes, or other equipment to inject drugs
Needlestick injuries in health care settings
Being born to a mother who has Hepatitis C

Less commonly, a person can also get Hepatitis C virus infection through

Sharing personal care items that may have come in contact with another person’s blood, such as razors or toothbrushes
Having sexual contact with a person infected with the Hepatitis C virus
Can Hepatitis C be spread through sexual contact?
Yes, but the risk of transmission from sexual contact is believed to be low. The risk increases for those who have multiple sex partners, have a sexually transmitted disease, engage in rough sex, or are infected with HIV. More research is needed to better understand how and when Hepatitis C can be spread through sexual contact.

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/C/cFAQ.htm

"Can hep C b transmitted thru sexual contact? Yes, but the risk of transmission from sexual contact is believed to be low. The risk increases for those who have multiple sex partners, have a sexually transmitted disease, engage in rough sex, or are infected with HIV. More research is needed to better understand how and when Hepatitis C can be spread through sexual contact."

*sigh* at least u cited your source. indeed, i've been told by public health officials that it can b speard thru sexual contact, especially when there r multiple partners involved, etc...And i"ve asked the obvious: but it either is or ot isn't. a person's moraity or number of parters shouldn't have anything to do w/it" to this they have always responded, "yea, you're right. it doesn't make sense. just use a condom." as that is thier MO, "use a condom" and sure, better safe than sorry, and Hep C is one of the many reasons a person should use a condom, but the mear fact that the aboved quoted info is coupled w/people who have other STDs, etc...in my mind, suggests a few things - these other "behaviors" practiced by "people w/multiple partners", " rough sex" "drug use" etc speak to the politically incorrect assumption that is being made, based on fact or not, that prostitutes, addicts, etc, r most likely to transmit it - thru shared equiptment, if they admit to it, or thru sex, if they don't. sure. "more research is needed." as is common sense, and that includes considering your sources.

and not that it matters - really - but the CDC and other official groups do not onclude hep C in their list of STDs.

I think they add multiple sex partners is because I guess they are assuming your using the same ones over and over again. I think if you have increasing exposure to hep c it increases your chances of catching it.

I guess kinds like standing next to a bee hive. You see may pass by with out stinging you. But sooner or later the conditions will be right that one smacks you on the forehead and stings you.

You can be "cured" of hep c. You have to take medications that reduce viral load and after so many months of testing neg you are said to be "cured."

They are making great progress on HIV. I think in years to come they will have a cure. I hope so. I don't know of anybody with it. But if my kids catch it I want it treated and gone.

Whether the risk is low or high is irrelevant, the goal here is to minimize harm. If there's any risk of transmission sexually, whether it's high or low, the best advice we can give here would be to use protection or otherwise limit exposure to this blood borne virus.

Harm reduction = eliminating the risks wherever possible, this being an example of a situation where the risk of transmission can be taken care of if Zoeylynn's advice is followed.

Whether the risk is low or high is irrelevant, the goal here is to minimize harm. If there's any risk of transmission sexually, whether it's high or low, the best advice we can give here would be to use protection or otherwise limit exposure to this blood borne virus.

Harm reduction = eliminating the risks wherever possible, this being an example of a situation where the risk of transmission can be taken care of if Zoeylynn's advice is followed.

sure, and if i, as a woman, were having sex w/an IV drug user, i'd use a condom, whether or not that person may have been exposed, and from her description , he has definitely been exposed, and sadly proobably has it now, and more sadly, as the OP said he was rapidly becoming more reckless in is behavior, and less hygenic w/his IV use, he will likely contract other illness, abceses, and lets not hope HIV, but NO ONE should EVER share iV equptment of any kind. sadely, bywhat rhe OP said, if it were me, i'd stop having sex w/him until he at least got his "control" back re. IV hygene, and i might not even stay with him until he got medical help. and as other posters have said, hep c may not show up in a test right away, the same thing goes for HIV ,which, i think, could take up to six months....

and they r making great strides toward HIV treatment, far more than for Hep C, even tho Hep C is extraordinarily more common - junkies don't have the lobbying power, or the public sympathy, that gay people do. i've been watching, and have seen very little new developments in hep c treatment- just different versions of the original: interferon and ribovaron, which r so terribly aggonizing to go thru, they aren't an option for many people - and the success rate isn't even that high....

to the OP: love your man, but stand firm. it may b time to reevaluate your options/motives - i don't remember u saying that the two of u r married . ...relationships with addicts r extremly difficult and taxing. u may find support in ALANON. good luck.
g

huh?
all i said was that gay people have a strong politacal lobby, and junkies don't. and for that reason, unfortunately for many of us, even tho Hep C is much more common, far more research is done toward AIDS, than Hep C.

(and really, this doesn't have much to do w/the OPs question.....)

on a more serious term, change ur fkn needle and if you really really can't, use a blue flame to burn it. Still, you shouldn't be using a needle more than once so no matter what you do it's wrong.

i do not use a needle more than one time.. I also wont use anything that has had my blood in it for more than a min and a half.. Like say i draw up a shot and i poke myself it registers and thn i slip out or something if i cant get it back in my vein or another than ill waste it in the toilet. My group gets mad at me for wasting it but id rather be safe thn sorrry..

*sigh* i hope i don't get flamed for this, but..... It is highly unlikly that sharing tweezers, toothbrushes, water glasses, etc, will transmit hep c. And no: It is not transmitted via any bodily fluid contact other than blood to blood - not blood to mucus, etc. This is one of the variables that make its transmission markedly different then other such viruses, mainly hiv. With that said, it only takes a microscopic, invisible to the naked eye amount, of blood in any fluid, bodily or otherwise, to transmit the virus. I have hep c. Because of this i have never let my partners use my razors, toothbrushes, tweezers, etc, though in long term relationships i have had unprotected sex, and have yet to transmit the virus. (yet the fact that i'm a woman, and my parters have all been men, plays into this) . Please - i'm not suggesting anyone b careless, but i also don't want people to start being aftaid to share water glasses w/people who have hep c, in the same way i don't want people to b afraid to shake someone's hand because that person has hiv. As for sharing equiptment w/someone who has hep c: Do not share anything - that includes cottons, "cleaned rigs", water glasses (used to rinse gear) - not a single fucking thing, because that is how u get it: Blood to blood, and that is what iv use is all about.
Good luck
g

say if someone with hep c used my boyfriends body jewelry (his lip ring) after piercing herself with my boyfriends piercing needle (i disposed of that right after she used it) if he uses the lip ring can he get hep c? He hasn't used it yet but he did put it back in the case with all our other jewelry does all the jewelry have to be thrown out??

sure, and if i, as a woman, were having sex w/an iv drug user, i'd use a condom, whether or not that person may have been exposed, and from her description , he has definitely been exposed, and sadly proobably has it now, and more sadly, as the op said he was rapidly becoming more reckless in is behavior, and less hygenic w/his iv use, he will likely contract other illness, abceses, and lets not hope hiv, but no one should ever share iv equptment of any kind. Sadely, bywhat rhe op said, if it were me, i'd stop having sex w/him until he at least got his "control" back re. Iv hygene, and i might not even stay with him until he got medical help. And as other posters have said, hep c may not show up in a test right away, the same thing goes for hiv ,which, i think, could take up to six months....

And they r making great strides toward hiv treatment, far more than for hep c, even tho hep c is extraordinarily more common - junkies don't have the lobbying power, or the public sympathy, that gay people do. I've been watching, and have seen very little new developments in hep c treatment- just different versions of the original: Interferon and ribovaron, which r so terribly aggonizing to go thru, they aren't an option for many people - and the success rate isn't even that high....

To the op: Love your man, but stand firm. It may b time to reevaluate your options/motives - i don't remember u saying that the two of u r married . ...relationships with addicts r extremly difficult and taxing. U may find support in alanon. Good luck.
G

i am also a user/junkie whatever yu wanna call it but i go to the store or to a needle exchange anywhere from 1-6 times a day that way i have sterile equipment, he is definitely out of control at this time and he isnt just using meth but opiates sometimes combining them to make speed balls.. I emailed his best friend and talked to him about it which my bf got mad about but i had to talk to someone and i mean i talk to his mom but i dont want to tell her till i figure out a plan and a way to go about it she knows he is using she just doesnt know what he is using i even went so far as to ask his friend if an intervention was a good idea.. I am cleaning up.... I am going to quit.. I know he will hate me and will end our relationship if i go about the intervention but at this point "saving" his life is the most important thing to me.. Am i doing the right thing??

say if someone with hep c used my boyfriends body jewelry (his lip ring) after piercing herself with my boyfriends piercing needle (i disposed of that right after she used it) if he uses the lip ring can he get hep c? He hasn't used it yet but he did put it back in the case with all our other jewelry does all the jewelry have to be thrown out??
He could potentially get HEP C if he uses jewelry that has been in the fresh piercing of a person with HEP C, especially if he has a fresh piercing himself or a cut or sore in the area. What I would do to be safe is take all the jewelry to the local piercing shop and ask them to autoclave sterilize it. Many piercing shops will even do this for free, especially if you shop there.

I emailed his best friend and talked to him about it which my bf got mad about but i had to talk to someone and i mean i talk to his mom but i dont want to tell her till i figure out a plan and a way to go about it she knows he is using she just doesnt know what he is using i even went so far as to ask his friend if an intervention was a good idea.. I am cleaning up.... I am going to quit.. I know he will hate me and will end our relationship if i go about the intervention but at this point "saving" his life is the most important thing to me.. Am i doing the right thing??

I think that one is a matter of opinion and only something you can decide. Personally I am very against confrontational interventions and would try every other way to suport him and encourage him first. In my experience interventions can even make the situation worse. A person has to quit for themselves, they have to be ready. They can't quit for others, it rarely lasts. An upsetting situation like an intervention, and feeling betrayed, can just alienate a person and make them want to use more drugs to feel better, or they might agree to go to rehab just to appease everyone and then start right back using again when they get out. But it really depends on how you think your boyfriend will respond and also how you think his family will treat him. Is he ready for help? Are there any other ways you could help him?

I have done just about everything I possibly can.. If i leave him I know what is going to happen he will dive 100 times deeper into this rabbit hole he is crawling into.. its escalated to the point where he has put his hands on me bc i was going to empty a syringe.. he will use more and probably kill himself by doing so.. I've tried everything else that I could think of... except the intervention... :/ sigh idk what to do anymore

You need to get out of that relationship, you are not responsible for his actions plain and simple, it is really no more complicated than that. You have to act in your best interests, a man that lays his hands on his girl over any drug is no man at all.