• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Help with a question on my MDMA experience last night with anti depressants

Shittybirdz

Greenlighter
I searched the forums and read many threads on the topic of antidepressants and MDMA but nothing answered the question I have.

So after a long night of drinking yesterday I was offered some MDMA, 80% I was told. We crushed up the pills and snorted them. I also happen to be on Effexor an SSRI/SNRI and wasn't aware at the time of the possibility of this triggering serotonin syndrome. I'm on a relatively small dose of 75 mg once daily.

Today after a pretty bad come down that is still going on I have yet to take my regular effexor dose out of fear of causing the syndrome to happen. My question is would it be safe to now? Seeing as I took the E around 21 hours ago? If not when would you recommend I start taking my regular dose again? Effexor has extremely quick withdrawl symptoms ie a few hours after missing a dose so that's why I'm so concerned if I can be taking it or not.

Any help or advice at all would be appreciated. I've seen some places say serotonin syndrome is highly unlikely with SSRI's and MDMA and that it's only a worry with MAOI's but some places say the opposite, I'd like to be on the safe side here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually SSRIs + MDMA = reduced roll not serotonin syndrome. Take the effexor you should be fine. Also, how much "mdma" did you.take? And don't buy into the 80% bullshit, who told you that most likely didn't even know if it was real MDMA.

Usually SSRIs + MDMA = reduced roll not serotonin syndrome. Take the effexor you should be fine. Also, how much "mdma" did you.take? And don't buy into the 80% bullshit, who told you that most likely didn't even know if it was real MDMA.

Are you almost positive on that? Because I'd certainly love to take the effexor right now because I'm already getting withdrawl effects from it. I have no clue how much we took as I blacked out, I'm pretty sure we just railed a few crushed up pills. I appreciate the help by the way.

The only time you could get serotonin syndrome is during a roll, not after it. And it only happens when you ingest massive quantities of MDMA or if you combine MDMA or some other serotonergic drug with something like a MAOI anti-depressant. An SSRI blocks MDMA from binding and releasing serotonin so you actually have less risk of serotonin syndrome than with just MDMA without an SSRI. You will be fine, there is no danger. You will not get serotonin syndrome from MDMA+an SSRI, certainly not the day after. Real serotonin syndrome is actually pretty rare, it takes a lot to reach those levels. Was your MDMA tested with a testkit?

Last edited:
The only time you could get serotonin syndrome is during a roll, not after it. And it only happens when you ingest massive quantities of MDMA or if you combine MDMA with something like a MAOI anti-depressant. An SSRI blocks MDMA from releasing serotonin so you actually have less risk of serotonin syndrome than with just MDMA without an SSRI. You will be fine, there is no danger. You will not get serotonin syndrome from MDMA+an SSRI, certainly not the day after. Real serotonin syndrome is actually pretty rare, it takes a lot to reach those levels of serotonin. Was your MDMA tested with a testkit?

Thanks, I very much appreciate the reply. Taking the pill, the withdrawl was getting to be too much. The MDMA was not tested with a kit however, normally I would have but it was an off night, lots of drinking before hand.

Adding (untested) prefix. Serotonin syndrome during a roll, say induced by unknowingly taking an MAOI beforehand, would feel like a roll going into an intense roll and then spinning out of control and ending in the hospital with very serious physical symptoms. If you want to know what it's like, read this. So now taking into account the fact that an SSRI or SNRI actually dulls or even kills a roll, they don't amplify the effects and the fact that higher serotonin levels more or less means a more intense roll (more or less, there are other factors involved) one could make the logical conclusion that serotonin syndrome isn't a risk, since anything causing serotonin syndrome combined with MDMA would amplify the MDMA effects hugely, not dull them. That's aside from scientific studies indicating this found here. And aside from the fact you're taking the SNRI after your roll, which means your serotonin levels aren't elevated anymore anyway. Quote from the study, note the bold part:
Substances that inhibit serotonin re-uptake are not likely to increase serotonin to life-threatening levels if used with ecstasy [23,26,31]. These substances include SSRI antidepressants (e.g. citalopram, fluoxetine, paroxetine), the SNRI venlafaxine, tricyclic antidepressants (e.g. clomipramine, imipramine), opioid analgesics (e.g. tramadol, dextromethorphan) and antihistamines (e.g. chlorpheniramine, brompheniramine). These drugs differ from other serotonergic drugs in that they compete with MDMA at the serotonin receptor site and, therefore, diminish the effects of MDMA [23,31]. Controlled studies have found that the physiological and subjective effects of ecstasy are substantially reduced in participants given citalopram [32,33]. Results from animal experiments also show that some SSRIs block the MDMA-induced release of serotonin [31,34-36]. Interestingly, additional evidence from animal models suggests that some SSRIs may protect against the long-lasting neurotoxic effects of MDMA [36-38]. Whether this is the case in humans is yet to be determined.

Last edited: