• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Help! Shot up air into veins instead of heroin. First time shooting. Will I die?

get high

Bluelighter
Hello so I tried shooting up today for the first time well I tried a few other times but I don't know how I keep messing up. Well today I put the needle in my arm, pulled back and just air went into the needle then I pushed in deeper then blood started coming into the needle. So I pushed in the syringe, then I realized I was injecting the air into my veins that was previously put in. Now Im freaking the hell out I heard if you inject air into your veins it causes air embloism and kills you. Has anyone ever injected air? I injected like 30 cc of air or something then I stopped when I realized I was injecting air. Has any else injected air by accident? I'm freaking out and on top of that I gave up after that and smoked my H. I didn't even get very high due to smoking it. Please any help is appreciated. I still can't inject I keep trying and failing

I've read it takes more than a ml of air to cause the heart to burst when looking into suicide methods... Still not a bad idea to call or see a medical professional. Be honest

Well 30 cc is a lot. But iirc you'd need to inject more, like 50-100ml of air to cause an air embolism, but maybe even less, as it depends on where you injected.
Do you have any symptoms, like: Loss of consciousness, Cessation of breathing, Vertigo, Convulsions, Tremors, Loss of coordination, Loss of control of bodily functions, Numbness, Paralysis, Extreme fatigue, Weakness in the extremities, Areas of abnormal sensation, Visual abnormalities, Hearing abnormalities, Personality changes, Cognitive impairment, Nausea or vomiting, Bloody sputum, Coughing ?
If so go to the ER asap or better call an ambulance.

And imo it's always better to bite the bullet and go to the ER, just to be safe

From the Wiki:
However, the amount of air that would be administered by a single small syringe is, in most cases, not enough to suddenly stop the heart, nor cause instant death. However, such bubbles may occasionally reach the arterial system through a patent foramen ovale, as noted above, and cause random ischemic damage, depending on their route of arterial travel.
So it's a good sign that you are still alive, but imo better go to the ER, just to be safe

Good luck!

I really doubt dude shot up 30cc of air. Probably means 30units... What monstrously sized rigs do u use OP?

30iu isn't going to do anything.

Now 30cc maybe, but you would have had to be using a cow syringe lol.

3cc is the minimum requirement for an air embolism if I remember correctly. So, 3 insulin syringes full of air at least.

you'll be fine. also, if you didn't pull the needle out, just stuck it in, didn't have a register and so poked it deeper, that's just vacuum air that would have filled up w/ blood anyway. I may be totally off base in doing this but I often push the plunger down as soon as I register when digging for a vein, not waiting for the air to be overtaken by blood. it does not seem to enter my veins, like the air will be at the top (toward the 100 mark) and as the plunger goes down the air just disappears, it doesn't go down toward the needle, because it's a vacuum created by pulling back the plunger.

That fear is your body telling you lifting is a bad idea. All's it takes is one hot dose, and youre dunski..

- HS

Dude, you'll be fine. If 30 units of air could kill someone, I would have died years ago. That being said, probably good idea not to make a habit of it.

Ya you're OK dude. Just the other day I accidentally blew up/inflated one of the veins in my arm cuz I forgot to release the tourniquet before injection. I was using a 3cc syringe, but I didn't shoot that much in there, prolly about 40units. It didn't even bruise up like a blown vein. I just kinda saw it inflate. It was freaky, but I am OK.

I second tacodude, you're a great member, made me life more then a few times in that tweaker thread.

Anyway, sorry for getting off topic.