• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Help I think I fucked up

flakrun

Bluelighter
I'm on Effexor for a week now, and took 20 mg of oxycodone. I'm feeling very hot and kind of feverish, no pleasureable effects at all. Could this be potential Serotonin Syndrome starting out. Please I need advice, I'm worried. What do I need to look out for

Serotonin syndrome would manifest within 2 hours of taking the oxy. You would also be feeling many other symptoms such as agitation, anxiety, tremors, goosebumps, vomiting/diarrhea, confusion, and several others. Hyperthermia is one symptom, but if it was SS you would be feeling so bad you would feel like going to the hospital.

Even if it is SS it should pass as long as you don't take more opioids or other drugs.

Serotonin syndrome would manifest within 2 hours of taking the oxy. You would also be feeling many other symptoms such as agitation, anxiety, tremors, goosebumps, vomiting/diarrhea, confusion, and several others.

It should pass as long as you don't take more opioids or other drugs.
I took it 1h 37 min ago, feeling feverish, a bit weak, anxiety but not throwing up, but have nausea. Fuck I'm so dumb, hope it don't get worse, sorry to bother you.

Correct. It's a pretty extreme set of symptoms. You wouldn't be questioning if you had it.

In all likelihood it's probably not SS. I would just try to relax a bit and not let the anxiety make it worse.
Thank you for the insight and your quick response. This scared/scare the shit out of me, never had a reaction like this, so lesson learned. I will try to relax a bit. The anxiety got me I suppose... Again thank you Snafu. GN

Last edited:
I'm on Effexor for a week now, and took 20 mg of oxycodone. I'm feeling very hot and kind of feverish, no pleasureable effects at all. Could this be potential Serotonin Syndrome starting out. Please I need advice, I'm worried. What do I need to look out for
How's that pulse and can you check your blood pressure? Are your pupils more dilated than usual. I take fluoxetine and took oxycodone and got SS and had to go to the hospital. Are you alone RN? You'll probably be fine, but this IS a harm reduction forum and I'm a nervous Nellie, always have been lol.

Yeah in these situations where it still has potential to escalate its a good move to make contact with someone you trust to regularly be in touch through the experience. Even better if you can get them to babysit you.

How's that pulse and can you check your blood pressure? Are your pupils more dilated than usual. I take fluoxetine and took oxycodone and got SS and had to go to the hospital. Are you alone RN? You'll probably be fine, but this IS a harm reduction forum and I'm a nervous Nellie, always have been lol.
Thank you for caring ❤️. My body started shaking a bit, and pulse was very high (maybe anxiety). I am good now tho, but scared me. Most weird thing is, 2 hours in(long time for opiate to kick in no? I parachuted crushed), I started to feel slight euphoric, and then went from feeling good to bad, good to bad and this feeling kept changing till I fell asleep. Just a bit atypical experience for me.

What was your experience like when you had SS?

Thank you for caring ❤️. My body started shaking a bit, and pulse was very high (maybe anxiety). I am good now tho, but scared me. Most weird thing is, 2 hours in(long time for opiate to kick in no? I parachuted crushed), I started to feel slight euphoric, and then went from feeling good to bad, good to bad and this feeling kept changing till I fell asleep. Just a bit atypical experience for me.

What was your experience like when you had SS?
Shortness of breath, pulse 155, blood pressure high, face numb, legs wouldn't stop shaking and definite anxiety I was CONVINCED I was having a stroke or heart attack. I took 30 mg oxycodone and I'm on fluoxetine. They gave me IV Ativan. It sucks because I love opiates. But never again for me unfortunately, as long as I'm on SSRIs. 21 years of drug use and SS DIDN'T even cross my mind.

SO glad you're OK, SS can be fatal.

Shortness of breath, pulse 155, blood pressure high, face numb, legs wouldn't stop shaking and definite anxiety I was CONVINCED I was having a stroke or heart attack. I took 30 mg oxycodone and I'm on fluoxetine. They gave me IV Ativan. It sucks because I love opiates. But never again for me unfortunately, as long as I'm on SSRIs. 21 years of drug use and SS DIDN'T even cross my mind.

SO glad you're OK, SS can be fatal.
Sounds like a really rough time phew.. Must have been so scary, especially not knowing what going on after consuming the oxy. Even that itself sometimes manifests as a bit of anxiety in me. It's good that you have a reason not to use now tho, does just not feel like it's worth it. Can hit anyone. Glad you're okay as well.

I’m sorry for I don’t see how taking a relatively small dose of Fluoexitine combined with oxycodone would cause SS? actually I don’t see how taking any SSRI combined with oxycodone would cause SS

I’m sorry for I don’t see how taking a relatively small dose of Fluoexitine combined with oxycodone would cause SS? actually I don’t see how taking any SSRI combined with oxycodone would cause SS
It defenitly could play a part in SS, in combination with Opioids. Take a look at the report linked below. SSRI, SNRI, Mao and more is medicine that block the reabsorption (reuptake) of serotonin into neurons. This makes more serotonin available to improve transmission of messages between neurons.

Cited from the paper:
"The purpose of this paper is to review the information on serotonin syndrome (SS) caused by an interaction between opioids and serotonergic medicines."
Source: Opioids and Serotonin Syndrome, Page 5, section: 2.1.1 Indication

This is the source of the report: Opioids and Serotonin Syndrome" by Medicines Adverse Reactions Committee

Last edited:
All opioids increase serotonin levels, combined with a drug that stops the brain from naturally reducing serotonin.

You'd be surprised just how many drugs can cause serotonin syndrome.

Even loperamide can cause serotonin syndrome, and it doesn't even cross the blood brain barrier. It increases serotonin in other organs in the body, which then goes to the brain.

After reading your post I found my buprenorphine leaflet and shit, I shouldn't read that's scary stuff. I found a few reasons why I shouldn't be prescribed it. I'll keep that quiet.
In answer to your post, it doesn't sound like a lot to have brought on SS. I thought I had it once a year ago, I'd bupe, with quite a lot of gabapentin, prozac, clonidine, hydroxyzine and maybe others so I can't say for sure, but I think what made me ill that day was the kratom I threw in on top, more than the pills which I rotate on all the time.
I thought I was dying, I was puking, shivering, sweating while I ought to have been sky high, it made no sense at all. The reason I don't think it was SS is that after vaping some bud I felt a bit better, not worse as I would with SS.