• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Help! I am on Tramadol+Clonazepam+Atarax, dangerous combo?

El_Toro

Bluelighter
Hey guys,

I am having issues with insomnia. Could not sleep last night. Took 2mgs clonazepam at about 5 AM. Woke up at 10AM. Took 150mgs Tramadol at 12PM and then 100mgs more in two doses, last at 4PM. I have now taken hydroxyzine (Atarax) at 7.30 PM.

I am already on two CNS depressants, clonazepam and tramadol and I added Atarax, which potentiates opioids (apparently by a big deal) and I didn't remember about this fact. Am I going to be ok? I still have time to throw up the Atarax.

Half life of Tramadol is 5-7 hours so I should be on aprox 150mgs of Tramadol by now I assume. The clonazepam has a long half-life. At about 3PM I was nodding with the Tram and clonazepam combo and my breathing was slow. Now, at 8 PM I am ok although I am still feeling the sedation from tram+clonazepam, pulse is normal though.

Took the Atarax to help sleep sleep tonight at about 10-11PM. Please tell me if I am putting myself in danger due to excessive CNS depression.

Thanks

You're fine. Hydroxyzine is not that strong (its not a "big deal"). Its an antihistamine. And the only word I know that contains the letters "xyz" in order. How much did you take, 50-100mg? You took normal doses of tramadol and clonazepam, there's no reason for a tiny bit of antihistamine taken a few hours later to cause CNS depression, especially if you were in no danger of it before.

I took 59mgs of Atarax which I have only used two times. Last was the other day and it knocked me out on its own at 50mgs.

I am already starting to feel sedated and my breathing is a bit shallow.

I am very familiar with the Tramadol and clonazepam combo (and the doses) which I enjoy much, but I have found that on this combo, I would wake up at times gasping for air when I was sleeping.

I hear 50mgs of Atarax is enough to potentiate opioids and from what I am reading on forums, it should not be mixed with benzos too.

Stupid mistake from my part as I knew about the opioid potentiation.

What do you think (or others)?

I am normally a responsible drug user but in my daze from insomnia and clonazepam, I didn't remember the potentiation of Atarax.

I am feeling the effects taking over by the minute. Increased sedation, pupils are now slightly constricted. I feel I could hit the bed and doze off, which I won't of course.

Comments?

It sounds like you're overreacting. Would you think you were doomed if you took 50mg diphehydramine instead of 50mg hydroxyzine? I ask because there isn't much of a difference.

You took an antihistamine, which isn't a magical opiate potentiator btw, its just slightly sedating and thus 'synergizes' with the effects of opiates and other downers.

Like others have said you are fine, i know sometimes (often) when we get scared it's for nothing, then again better safe than sorry. The only negative i have found with Tramadol is that sometimes i have to take something to open up the airways, not allways, but sometimes, it's the same with Codeine. (I do have astma).

As far as benzos go, i love them, but have never tryid clonazepam.

Atarax was first given to me when i was very young, back then it helped me sleep, these days it does absolutely nothing...

atarax (hydroxyzine) is an anxiolytic mainly, maybe slightly sedating at over 200mg's... i think you should be fine, 150mg of tram and 2mg of clonaz isn't much, you'll be fine...

atarax (hydroxyzine) is an anxiolytic mainly, maybe slightly sedating at over 200mg's... i think you should be fine, 150mg of tram and 2mg of clonaz isn't much, you'll be fine...

Thanks.

Actually total is 250mgs of Tramadol, only that by judging from half-life I should have the equivalent of 150mgs atm (although I did divide doses so as to increase its bioavailability.

I am feeling all fucked up now. Cannot think straight and feel like just going to bed and dozzing off. Very marked anxiolysis. Feeling very tired (like when I took 50mgs of the Atarax on its own). Mild ataxia.

Effects seem to be still climbing. Maybe wait for another 30 minutes, see where I am at and then decide whether to go to bed or not?

Thanks for the answers chaps.

atarax (hydroxyzine) is an anxiolytic mainly, maybe slightly sedating at over 200mg's...

you're kidding, right? Many people feel absolutely conked out at 50 mg. Quite similar to benadryl, which is used as an otc sleep aid. which brings me to the other part...

it's mainly an antihistamine

you're kidding, right? Many people feel absolutely conked out at 50 mg. Quite similar to benadryl, which is used as an otc sleep aid. which brings me to the other part...

it's mainly an antihistamine

What's your opinion in regards to my situation?

I feel very drowsy and could pass out any minute now (feel tired and ready to hit the sack).

My opinion is that you'll be fine. It isn't really a CNS depressant, and its REAL synergy with opioids beyond the nod is principally with demerol.

It's totally normal to feel tired on hydroxyzine ALONE. If you've got someone around with you, just tell them to keep an eye on you in case your lips turn blue :). But really, that's just to make you feel more comfortable rather than any real concern. I'm not a stranger to freaking out lol

Just avoid driving or otherwise operating heavy machinery and you'll be fine

Thats not much in the way of drugs at all. Tramadol is a very weak opioid so you have nothing to worry about more then likely.

ok so here;s my situation:
I am currently taking around 200mg for tramadol daily and I have been taking 3mg of Xanax, 30mg of Valium or 2 to 4mg of clonazepam on a daily basis.

Now i know that tolerance is buily and all that, and i have even gotten up to 400mg of Tram and 10mg of Clo and I cant feel a thing anymore.

Would it be more effective if i take the V before the T?

Also, is there an over the counter drug that would amplify the effect?

Thanks

You're fine. Hydroxyzine is not that strong (its not a "big deal"). Its an antihistamine. And the only word I know that contains the letters "xyz" in order. How much did you take, 50-100mg? You took normal doses of tramadol and clonazepam, there's no reason for a tiny bit of antihistamine taken a few hours later to cause CNS depression, especially if you were in no danger of it before.
sometimes

Hey there OP. First off, good for you for being so responsible for your health and safety. To be frank, these quantities in these proportions would not be lethal for the vast majority of people with "normal" physiology and biology. It would be some kind of freak thing for this to be lethal, for instance, if you were someone with some kind of strange enzyme mutation, the Tramadol and Clonazepam would be enough to put you down.

There is a lot of information to cover here and some of it can be rather confusing, but I think it's worth discussing. There is a difference between an "additional" effect and a "synergistic" effect when we talk about drug combinations. The easiest way of understanding this is:

2+2=4

or...

2+2=5

When a combination produces synergy, it's going to produce an intoxication that is seemingly more potent than the sum of its parts. Not every drug is going to produce a synergistic effect with other drugs. Antihistamines like Hydroxyzine (Atarax) will probably contribute to feelings of sedation, lethargy and etc. but that doesn't mean that taking an antihistamine is going to make an otherwise healthy person overdose. That's just not typical,.

I would say - and take this from experience - that you're mixing and matching some pretty nasty drugs.

Clonazepam comes with all the baggage of being a benzo. Benzo withdrawl is not something you want to go through. It is to be avoided.

And, Tramadol withdrawl is no joke. Read the wikipedia. You'll get SSRI+Opiate withdrawals.

I get the sense that you are worried about harm from the drugs, so you should extend that thinking to the future as well.

My advice to you is to start thinking about getting away from these two particular drugs for your kicks - you are headed for a bad future. You could scarcely have picked two worse drugs to mess around with in my view.

Tramadol is absolutely a roll of the dice. You can get off scot free when you stop it, or you can be in for untold mental agony. It is not benign.

Clonazepam equally needs to be treated with respect.

I'm sure you know all this but it bears repeating, if I could go back in time and tell myself this stuff I could've spared myself some serious suffering.

The fact you're mixing and matching is telling and I think you should just know what you're in for.

Don't stop either drug suddenly. But it might be time to think about heading in the opposite direction you are going, because the bill will come due.

You may well know all this and if so I apologise for patronising, I just recognise the behaviour and the anxious disposition in your post in myself. I've been where you are.

If and when you decide to reduce either, the Ashton Manual for the benzos is the thing to read. With Tramadol, once you get below 150mg you need to go slowly.

Tramadol is a scary drug, it Would actually give me sleep paralysi. Ive never had it before or since I stopped taking it but wow is that scary the first time it happens. I believe I also had seizures while sleeping from it. I can’t confirm it but I’d wake up twitching with my jaw so tense I thought I was going to break my teeth. i Took about 10-12 75mg a day and my doctor told me that that wasn’t even a really high dose. So he actually gave me a taper program that lasted a week! Let’s just say it didn’t work, but I did beat that one addiction and actuLu will turn it down if offered.I am on clonazepam for the last decade and it seems like my doctor cut Me from 3 .5 to 2 ,5 a day and that missed Afternoon dose is definitely noticeable. If he cuts me off of them I don’t think I could cope, it’s such an amazing benzo and really is a lifesaver. I’m also on a Tara’s in place of lorazepam which he also cut and I don’t bother taking it, I just feel way to tired and unmotivated the next day. I just can’t think straight it makes me so sluggish If it works for you that’s great but I can’t cope with the unmotivation and sluggishness since a morning coffee would just make me anxious and overpower my klonopin. not sure if this helps but just wanted to let you know my personal experiences with each pharm.