• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Help cutting almost 2 years of Tramadol addiction

rave23 said:
hey delphinen,

have you done a withdrawal before? You can give me a nudge via PM if you need someone to cry and bitch about. I am familiar with withdrawals, and i found if you share your pain it's more bearable knowing that there is someone out there who can relate to the experience and maybe has some words that give you new hope. It can be pretty crushing.
Maybe you can PM me and give me more details on your habit and your daily intake and we work out a taper plan for you. Cold turkey would be a suicide misson. Imagine kicking Heroin and Prozac cold turkey at once.
Anyway, my ears are open and i am more than happy to help you out :)

// btw: can i ask you where your nickname comes from?

Thanks a lot. Its my third withdrawal. And, well, I a have strong willpower because of ... personal problems. I tend to work really Really *focused* on things when im angry about something.

My nick comes from Delphine, the software factory that made awesome games like Flashback in the 90'.

sarbanes said:
rave: those were very kind words from you, and I think its great that delphinen isin't going through this alone. great posts/thread everyone. bravo ! =)

hey, after all, this is the internet, and on the other end of the computer is a human being. Just treat everybody like you would in real life.
I know from my own experience that when i am going through withdrawal and have someone who is coming all the way with me, monitors my progress and tells me that i's gonna be okay in a coupple of days it's SO much more bearable. Going through this alone is a monumental task. We are a community and have to stick together, watching each others back. That is the way things should go around here :) <3

Doesn't it help you though, if you can just bitch to someone about how you feel like shit? every time i start doing that i forget how bad i actually feel and it makes time pass so much faster =D

delphinen said:
Thanks a lot. Its my third withdrawal. And, well, I a have strong willpower because of ... personal problems. I tend to work really Really *focused* on things when im angry about something.

My nick comes from Delphine, the software factory that made awesome games like Flashback in the 90'.

mh, i thought your nick would come from the german word "Delphin" which means Dolphin. Just a thought of mine.

Well anyway, if you need someone to release a bit of pressure and maybe need someone who can look at your situation in a neutral way without judging you, i'm right here :)
Withdrawal packs one helluva punch, but i'm sure you know that.

careful, id advise against using diphenhydramine for any opiate withdrawal including tramadol because it can and will make your RLS worse, personal experience. although i didnt take it with benzos so im not sure if being on a maintenance dose counteracts that side effect. happy kicking.

one possible positive about the diphenhydramine is that its a mild SSRI, so it could be uniquely of benefit here. PLEASE if theres any way you can look into getting the oxcarbamazepine, it really is a miracle drug. WAY more effective than buphrenorphine and(or) clonodine, IMHO. It literally took away like 99.9% of my WD symptoms. After 5 days I stopped, and my tramadol tolerance was way down. The drug is not scheduled any where, AFAICT.

I'd suggest what you're already doing, which is taking your benzos. You should try and get your hands on some clonidine or immodium as well. Good luck with your withdrawals my friend. Third time is a charm ;) Haven't you heard that before? You'll be fine!

from someone whos been on tramadol 3 years now, dont go cold turkey, mate. reember it has snri properties? so you'll be withdrawaling from two chemicals. it aint fun at all.

taper your dose down accordingly so you feel comfortable enough without suffering too much. ive suffered my worst withdrawals from this drug over any opiate/benzo ive had.

have a talk to your dr about a regime that will suit. id type more but head not in a clear space at the moment. ill come back to this

I have w/d from tramadol many times. It is hell. And those "zaps" that someone mentioned really fuck me up. Immodium helps the shits, sleep as much as you can (ya, right) and thank your lucky stars you have some benzos. If you are like me, tapering off is a joke. It also helps to make sure you are hydrated. Good luck.

Thanks all.
Yeah, besides oxcarbamazepine which I cant get here but I will keep looking around, benzos are really the answer I think. (I just found I can get Oxcarbazepine maybe, it is the same? the thing requires an rx [which I can get anyway] but its damn expensive; I also can get Carbamazepine, which is much more accesible, its almost OTC and the price its much lower, could this work?)
It has been 48+ hours without Tramadol and im *fine* (a little dizzy, yes, and feel a little weird, but nothing strong, no depression _so far_), I had a nice sleep thanks to the IV/IM Diazepam and 12mg of Clonazepam I ate.
At first it seemed it would be hard to sleep.. in 15' I was knocked off :)
I think the depression comes now right? :(

Last edited:
From what I've read on here, tramadol is one of the stranger analgesics on how it affects different people. After taking it for three years (doc was very gung-ho about it not being a narcotic, and prescribing it after NSAIDS tried to eat a hole through my stomach,) I decided to quit because the max dose wasn't cutting it anymore. The day after I took my last dose, I was a barfing, shitting, despondant mess and it took me awhile to figure out what the hell was going on. After contacting the doc, he said "Oh yeah, you can't just suddenly stop taking it, try dropping one pill each day." Right. I had to work out a taper on my own that was doable, which ended up being one pill every
three days. It was a very difficult and surprising experience for me, as I was very opiate naive at this time, and withdrawing off a drug that was harked to be non-narcotic. Since the tramadol, I have had to be on Oxycontin twice, and in my opinion it was a piece of cake stopping compared to tramadol. I am currently on the fent patch, and from what I've heard that is going to be the mother of all withdrawals/taper whatever, and I read of one lady(different site) that the process of getting off took her about 6 months. Very much a buy now, pay for it later type of thing. Anyway, best of luck to you, it sounds like you have a few back up drugs that might ease things a bit. For me, the worst part was the insomnia/restless legs and depression and that took about four days to let up when my taper dosage was down to about two a day.

I have given up... but...

Well, first of all, sorry folks, but after a lot of thinking, I did the math, and its easier to live with my addiction than withdrawal from it, give up, and return to the depressive-suicidal wanna be I were.

Aside from my addiction, as I said earlier, I used to cut myself, and even tried suicide twice. This stopped at all after Tramadol came to my life (along with other drugs, specially LSD).

I can support my Tramadol addiction (only Tramadol) with $150 US dollars more or less per month. My actual income is $1300 per month. I cannot deny to myself $150 for this. And im talking of buying 800mg of Tramadol per week. 4 weeks would be $150.

Also, actually, I have no access to a good box of Benadryl or even Loperamide, even less that Oxcarbamazepine that is not sold here.

Basically, im giving up, not because of the symptoms (that at this rate, 72 hours clean, were sweating, dizziness, vertigo and a lot of anger without reason, but that was myself before actually) but because I realised that without consuming other drugs, other than benzos and Tramadol, I can economically support my addiction without problem.
No more 10 LSD blotters, no more 20 MDMA pills, no more boxes of ampoules of benzos, no more illegal Hydrocodone and I will be spending so much less that I wont be able to believe it.

And as I said earlier, im talking about 800mg of Tramadol per week, which I plan to reduce (just to reduce tolerance), so I will spend even less.

Sorry for giving up, but... maybe im just like DrHouse after all (for those who saw the series and know what I mean with his 'Hydrocodone withdrawal').

Maybe, someday, when im really prepared (on vacations, with lots of Diphenhydramine, Loperamide, Benzos and even Oxcarbamazepine I will try to withdraw...) but for now, im keeping my habit. I readed on the net that a 2 year Tramadol addiction could be worse than a Heroin withdrawal and just became scared of doing it.

And to be honest, I just took 100mg Tramadol from a new lab... and its 20' later and im feeling better already damn :p

Last edited:
You might have said how much Tramadol you're taking daily in further posts of the thread, but i only read the topic starter post. So without knowing how far you're addicted to it is kinda hard for me to tell you exactly what to do... for my "trammie fix" i would do about 200-300mg of tramadol a day for about a month or so. Tramadol is a pretty weak opiate and in my experience compared to Oxycodone and whatnot it's really a light pleasure (OCs have too many adverse effects for my taste), but to the point, you shouldn't just go cold turkey.
Going cold turkey on a long addiction (or any length of addiction imo) is kinda stupid. Why go through all that hard suffering (which i do not have W/D from with Tramadol if i do i haven't noticed) when you can simply taper down and only suffer a few days of irritability, insomnia, and possible diarhea (sp) and vomitting. Tapering, for me, removes any dealing with doctors or detox or anything weird like that, i hate going to people for help.
Take 100mg of Bennedryl about an hour before you goto bed to get to sleep and take some valium (or xanax) in the morning (dosage depends on your tolerance to valium/xanax) to get through the day without all the anxiety and stress from your w/d. Take one more valium/xanax for lunch. And one last one in the evening. But be careful not to start taking this shit recreationally cuz you'll just end up in a deeper hole than you're already in (which is hardly deep considering your drug).

For the record, I came off Tramadol about the time i came off weed and i suffered more from the lack of weed (insomnia, extreme irritability) so it's kind of hard to tell you the exact w/d symptoms i got. One thing i hated about tramadol which essentially made me quit was the fact that it killed my sex drive, i'm fine on OCs but when i do tramadol my sex drive is dead for 1-2 days after taking tramadol. That and the mild constipation.

Good luck on your ventures, whatever they may be.

EDIT: Oh damn you can get hydrocodone? Fuck tramadol, just switch over to hydrocodone.

Last edited:
Cface said:
Oh damn you can get hydrocodone? Fuck tramadol, just switch over to hydrocodone.

Tramadol costs me around 10$ dollars the 200mg (50mg pills x 20), generic brand.
Hydrocodone costs me $90 dollars the 75mg (5mg pills x 15), genuine brand.

I cant get addicted to Hydro, economically here its impossible, unless youre rich. Tramadol, on the other hand, its sometimes too cheap :|

On a related note, it has been a couple of hours since my Tramadol came back and I can see how it makes me happy for no reason. The SSRI effects are too obvious, or works specially good in my brain. On the other hand, I still feel a little dizzy, but its minimal compared to what I was feeling this morning. This shit is awesome and at the same time, I hate it.

Seems like an awful lot of money for tramadol for you. I can get 90x100mg Tramadol capsules for about 100-120$ thats a little over a dollar a pill. But hydrocodone, for me, is a lot more intoxicating. I don't really get any noticeable SSRI effects from trams so if i were in your situation i'd just get hydrocodone seeing as how 10mg of vicodin is enough to get me fucked up. Although it's virtually impossible to get vicodin where i live (rural texas). I've got some OCs but i dread taking them, that's why i've just quit doing opiates altogether.

Maybe you should consider kratom and tramadol, there's a lot of talk about kratom, so much so that i'm going to buy some. If you really like the SSRI effects of tramadol take some Lexapro or Zoloft (Sertraline) with your tramadol. But those are anti-depressants and that shit is completely different from opiates. But then again, most people don't go for the SSRI effect of opiates (if any other opiate pharms do that).

Sorry if i'm jumping around in my post i'm reading your above post as i type my reponses and changing them based on what you type... :p

Cface said:
Seems like an awful lot of money for tramadol for you. I can get 90x100mg Tramadol capsules for about 100-120$ thats a little over a dollar a pill.

Eve you're getting ripped off. I get 50mg x 200 for only 72$ off an IOP.

yeh but ambien is addictive. Might as well be taking xanax or valium or clonazepam.

yeah i agree i usualy paid something like 90-100 bucks for 180 pills. and that was from within the us overnight.
no, ambien addiction can in NO way compare to a clonazepam addiction. im sorry. but klonopin is like methadone of benzos. its STRONGER THAN FUCK, and it LASTS A LLOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG time. infact its one of the top 4 i think potent benzos around.
but your right, ambien is addictive as hell. i just think its a MUCH better option than starting klonopin or xanax and never getting off them ever.
peace

sarbanes said:
[...] Quitting tramadol is tougher than quitting heroin [...]

It's interesting you should say that. I was taking tramadol for over six months, I got my dose down to 200 mg daily and went cold-turkey from that. I had the following withdrawal symptoms:

severe depression,
severe anxiety,
aching all over my body,
no energy (couldn't climb more than two steps on a staircase before having to stop and rest,)
crying repeatedly,
brain zaps,
feeling that my vision would move slower than my physical movement / jelly headed feeling,
feeling extremely hot, then extremely cold, and back again over and over,
diarrhoea (literally had to run to the toilet for the first few days,)
insomnia,
frequent nocturnal emissions.

I took vitamins, 5-HTP and rhodiola rosea to re-balance my neurochemistry, and was back to normal after a few weeks. Withdrawing from tramadol was definitely the most difficult and traumatic experience I've ever had. I'm surprised at its legal status because it's a much more powerful drug than codeine and dihydrocodeine IME. I don't know how tramadol withdrawal compares with morphine or diamorphine withdrawal because I've never taken a strong opioid.

Tsukasa said:
Just ween yourself off. It shouldn't be too hard.

Masturbate, excercise, get some sunlight, do whatever it takes to release some yummy brain chemicals. Just don't cut. That's the dumbest thing you can do to release endorphins.

QUOTE]

Does masturbating work? I always get down after I've had a pull