• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Heavy Metal for tripping. Do you think is good or not?

Meshuggah has been amazing tripping (ETH-LAD); the energy and polymeters seem really patterny and psychedelic IMO. Stuff like Phish/Grateful dead despite there links to psychedelia seems totally pedestrian-mundane for me personally so it's all down to taste - if you don't like metal normally trying it tripping isn't likely to do you any favours I suspect. Personally I more like put on Bach but worth having different flavours in there

I listen to jazz standards when tripping always.

One time had a blast dancing to this on mescaline

I liked this one on shrooms once

When tripping I seem to like softer metal rather than my favorites like malmsteem, or more frenetic stuff. Im a peaceful plant like human

Speaking of jazzy things I found this quite nice while tripping:

Very chill, quite good when the effect is wearing off

Well, sounds like you sort of liked some metal at some point and you respect some of it in that you recognize that a lot of metal bands have skill. I have to point out though, The Toadies are NOT metal.

On a low voltage metal detector? Maybe not, Brother. Maybe not.

Not sure what you'd consider them

Metal.

, but I'm sure 9 out of 10 metalheads, if not all 10, wouldn't consider them metal.

I'll avoid the implied question of gerrymandering what you'd consider a metal head, and put up some points on the board because I don't want it to be later said that I wouldn't give you the easy ones. Also I'm drunk.

Vanilla Ice had a really bad hardcore album, but most wouldn't call it real metal.

OK, so a sub-genre of metal, but not purist metal. I suppose it's going to be that sort of fight today.

Guns n' Roses are more hard rock, but they are classic.

1923294b11f71708dc0d7e93a3810b1f.jpg

So, you lost respect for it because a lot of metal heads are childlike/childish in some ways?

I don't really operate on respect. I'm a bit more primal than that. My decision to walk away from metal was personal. Not personal like, "I don't want to discuss it with you, @Mycophile ", but more primal like, "Damn, these guys are a bad influence on me, I need to do something different with my life." I was having an actual emotional moment. Which is rare for me. Most of my decisions are based upon tactical considerations, to the point where my friends get confused when I reach a point of emotional conviction. I'm not sure whether I was done with rock, or rock was done with me. But I was done.

I mean, ok, but that just doesn't matter to me. For one, there's some pride for some people in being "geeks."

But there shouldn't be. You're too cool to have geeks for friends. All men (friends) have some obligation to brother (parent?) each other. If you're a nerd then I have the sad duty of informing you that you're ready to move past it. Choose life.
If you're friends are nerds, then it's time to burn off your fingerprints and hit the road and find better friends.

But I am not one of the more "out there" metal heads anymore in the sense that I haven't dressed like a metal head in years

I'm very happy to hear you say that and that's the primary reason that I like you.

(but I nailed our 2nd, and most complex song, perfectly.)

Nice!

The last metal show I saw was somewhere around maybe like 8 years ago give or take, and it was Cannibal Corpse and Cattle Decapitation, both great bands IMO, and they put on a great show.

Nice! Yeah I have no business getting in a mosh pit at this point.

I listen to metal most often on headphones, either wireless ones with my Iphone or sometimes plug in sound cancelling ones with my Ipod classic. I don't even usually put it on loud in terms of external speakers. I just have all these bands I love, and I sometimes go on Encyclopedia Metallum: The Metal Archives (best metal site online IMO) to talk about metal, but I haven't been on there in forever.

Nice, yeah I'm glad that you're not confrontational about metal. The fathers of the genre certainly weren't.

But, do you at least recognize that not all metal bands sound the same?

Oh yeah. I agreed with that coming in. Privately I wish that Doom metal and Symphonic metal would split off and form their own respective genres.

Because that's a big problem amongst many people who say they don't like it.

And if you have any interest, I can post videos of a number of different metal bands who may surprise you with how unique and different they are.

Just pose one, please. Maybe promote one metal band at a time.

i like all sorts of music on low doses of tripping, but when i take too much, music doesn't really sit well with me..

i will listen to some pretty weird uneasy techno or like hardcore metal when i'm tripping though... i like to go soft with indie rock and pop too... i'll basically listen to anything unless i'm tripping too hard then i'll go for some silence. but on a low dose the stimulating feel of some acid will go good with music.

music and salvia go terrible together in my opinion.