• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News Hazel Park becomes third Michigan city to decriminalize natural psychedelics

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member

Hazel Park becomes third Michigan city to decriminalize natural psychedelics​

Steve Neavling
Detroit Metro Times
23 Mar 2022

Hazel Park City Council voted unanimously Tuesday to decriminalize psilocybin mushrooms and other entheogenic plants.

The resolution defines entheogenic plants as “plants, fungi, and natural materials that can benefit psychological and physical wellness, support and enhance religious and spiritual practices, and can reestablish human’s inalienable and direct relationship to nature.” They include psychedelic mushrooms, peyote, mescaline, ayahuasca, and dimethyltryptamine, or DMT.

Full article here.

This is great news, even though the division between plant compounds and synthetic compounds annoys me. Opiates (morphine, heroin/diamorphine, oxycodone, hydrocodone, etc) and cocaine are also plant compounds. I'd argue that LSD and synthetic 4-sub-tryptamines are infinitely safer than both.

Regardless, decriminalizing DMT, psilocybin, ayahuasca, and mescaline cacti is the first step to full decriminalization of psychedelics.

Does this include ibogaine as well?

agreed. that’s why i never really vibed with the ‘decriminalize nature’ movement. although i would personally take it step further and say i’m annoyed at the distinction between entheogen/psychedelics and other drugs. it just feels like psychedelic elitism to me

presumably it includes ibogaine. but like you said, some synthetics are safe than natural drugs and ibogaine in particular has some real cardiovascular risks, that something like lsd does not

i’m wondering if opium would be decrim under this law now actually 🧐