• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Have u given breaks a go?

Tarsy...well picked up. I guess i didn't really make myself clear. What I mean by music genre snobbery is people carrying on about how such and such genre is shit and the dj's that play it are crap or talentless or whatever and that if you don't like 'x' type of music you're uneducated in music blah blah blah. Accepting all sorts of music for what is gives each person who enjoys it is the utopia I long for.
Yes, maybe me choosing not to jump on the bandwagon and get into breaks is a type of music snobbery. Hell I admit I can be a music snob when choosing places to go out at the best of times! But I don't continually say the music is shit nor tell anyone who likes it that they have no idea what 'real' music is about. *That's* the music snobbery I can't stand.

We are all music snobs,
Anyone who thinks country and western and cheesey backstreet boys pop music is as good as the music the listen to...put your hand up
I don't see many hands.
"apart from tin can, electro bleep, fuzzy bass crazy "Im on Lsd" music "
Hey I love that fucking music, jan jelinek sat 24th at revover hell fucking yeah!
------------------
He's tricking us into meaning and pulling the rug out from under us at the same time. A nod, wink and a power fade to a culture that can't contain the labelisms any longer--the trickster is always the most subversive element in any culture--he leads us to our demise while inducing us to laugh, dance and die along the way.

hehe im a so guilty of pushing breaks onto people. and completely refusing to give trance/hard house a chance. so dont tell me again...
give me an hour with an open mind and my cd wallet.. and you have a new breaks devotee. i can bring you all over from the dark side. hehe.
nah i just push breaks coz its what i love, coz i want everyone to hear it, share it and love it with everyone else.
so if anyone has just started to get into it and can download tracks off the net try these -
jammin - go dj
plump djs - scram
jds - nine ways
meat katie - rotten.com
uberzone - bounce
bt & tsunami one - hip hop phenomenon
(^those are like nuschool trax, except that last one)
cds 2 buy -
y3k - deep progressive breaks
y4k - mixed by koma & bones
plump dj's - a plump night out
stanton warriors - the stanton session
now when you find yourself wanting to go further look up the three godfathers of breaks -
1. Freq Nasty (the don)
2. Rennie Pilgrem (knows his shit) &
3. B.L.I.M.
and then break it down mothafuckaz
smile.gif

and it dont stop there, after breaks theres the wonderful worlds of 2step & hip hop 2 explore kiddies... YAY !!!
tony
smile.gif

p.s. the hottest girls are breaks girls. eatadick if you think otherwiiiize.
------------------
bringing the house (and the NRG) down.

Have to definitely agree with everyone, breaks are killer. I have to give props to Gully in perth as well, he plays ambar saturdays and some thursdees and rocks the crowd with some phat n funky breaks, alot of old school hip hop shit and a huge diversity of sounds. I remember he even played a break beat mix of that "resuce me, when i'm in your arms" song.
James lavelle is going to rock gatecrasher like tube socks n high tops.
peace
rc1n

TONY: once again i am in agreement with the majority of your post but you left out a few things.
'jammin - go dj' nice won brother. and of course dj zinc - 138 trec as well
'jds - nine ways' ahem. the plumps remix of course. not the darude one
smile.gif

and of course bushwacka, a brilliant producer at whatever he does, is on fire in the breaks department at the moment. check:
- egyptian
- monster
- bluntski (nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnaaasty song!)
'p.s. the hottest girls are breaks girls.' tru dat. trruuuuuu dat.
two of THE men in breakbeat are lee coombs and adam freeland (of course!)
lee coombs - future sound of retro
lee coombs - thrust 1 (remix)
oscar goldman - thrust 2 (lee coombs electric dub) (arrgh. best, song, EVER)
these are without doubt three of the nastiest tracks in the world, in any genre.
freelands new album, on tour, is freakish. im not sure if it was actually recorded live, but the crowd noises sound like he IS playing to about 5000 people, but besides this, the album proves that breaks could be played to such huge audiences. it has the style, diversity and energy to appeal to all but the cheesiest kandy kids. and of course, he is THE man on the mixer, with nice sampler usage as well. THIS is the breakbeat album of the year, amongst stiff competition (koma and bones: y4k, urban underground, elastic breaks, stanton sessions, PMT original masters and bedrock breaks are all excellent, but freeland is the best)
i feel better from the other day
smile.gif
you are all allowed to like breakbeat again. in fact, i insist
smile.gif

p.s. re: fuzzy & sydney breaks.
yes, fuzzy have been great pushing breaks forward but they like to claim that they were the only driving force, whereas the globe is one club that has played breaks for at least 2 years. fuzzy have been excellent of late with putting on some excellent parties and bringing the big names out. theyve got fingerlickin wrapped around their finger
smile.gif

Just thought I'd let you in on my little secret.. I was scanning the topics, and I misread this one for "Have you given breasts a go?" lol.. ok, it really WAS funny when it happened.
On topic, my first "favourite" night out was when Plump DJs were in CBR this year.. I do enjoy breaks, but if it's the only thing on, you won't find me staying the whole night
wink.gif

*runs away to sleep for her LAST exam*
biggrin.gif

tony mah man, you do me proud
smile.gif

meh - fuck all this shittalk you hear about breaks being a fad.. yeah well trends are trends. it doesnt matter how many people like the music.. i listen to all sorts of wierd shit that you'd never hear on a dancefloor but that doesnt mean its not music. dont like it? dont bag it! just respect differences.
anyway.. just thought i would let u guys know, thanks to vurt ive got the new on tour cd by freeland.. its the shit! (apart from a couple of the mixes and the suspicious crowd noise in the background!) and not only that but bedrock breaks by HYPERRR... !! starts off with ils - next level, which is such a sweeet track..
*edit*
ahh shit snrub i didnt see your post..! hehe. what a surprise that you listed the same mixes that i did
wink.gif
yeah i love those. havent heard that pmt one *yet* though..
*click click*
[This message has been edited by MíkeySåmmy (edited 06 November 2001).]

ohh.. also - dunno if you guys have ever read the scene (http://www.thescene.com.au/) but i was reminded of a really good discussion on breaks that took place there earlier this year. phil k (pretty much melb's top breaks dj!) made a response and this is what he had to say (just thought it would be of interest here)
From : WHY is the Breakbeat revelation taking so long??? at The Scene
Hi Guys,
the revolution will not be televised...the revolution is happening right now...to add to that there is no room for purists...as a DJ i want to play good electronic music...wether you wanna call it breakbeat, house, progressive, techno, 2 step...whatever....labels are created by media like dance press to basically explain something in words...its all music...and all genres of music i believe have good and bad examples...as DJs i believe it is our JOB to be eclectic and have the ability to distinguish a good example of a certain style then go out and play a good selection of different styles...its not about what will fit into what you are doing its more about having the ability and the vision of making it fit...i find that by doing this that you can appeal to a wider audience without having to play obvious records....my 5hr sets @ Honky Tonks are exactly that....
According to Highland DJ breaks peaked this time last yr...i dont agree...i think breaks have a place in music today (more than ever...look at some of the nu R&B stuff that is all over the charts...) and will continue to influence dancefloors in the immediate future...just because most Melbourne DJs dont even attempt to incorporate the better breaks releases in their sets doesnt mean a thing (take those blinkers of guys!!!)...the reason for this i believe is that technically speaking if you dont get the mix right, going from 4/4 house to breaks it feels like you have dropped the energy level of the dancefloor right down...its a difficult thing to get right but when you do you can lift the roof right off any club (did you see what happened when Timo dropped some breaks in the main room @ Two Tribes???)...maybe some Melbourne house DJs have tried dropping breaks and getting it wrong once have feared to venture in that direction again (once bitten twice shy....) or promoters tell them not to do it (which i have heard of some actually telling DJs not to do it!!!)...remember there is a whole world out there...
I believe that an audience votes with their feet and in the near future if you dont even attemt playing some breaks mixed with evrything else your audience will not respond as well...you also have to consider that the general public dont have any idea as to what "breakbeat" means so they are really not in a position to come up and say "hey mate, can you play some breaks???'...all they know is that is sounds different to house and in most cases a hell of a lot more funkier....so if you dont take the inniative and play it then you will never know...
I am not saying i know everything but i have been Djng and have been listening and buying dance music since 1982...if you look around hard enuff you will see that breaks is definatelly becoming a major force and as with "disco house" which is still currently flavour of the month (its scary that disco house as a genre has actually gone on longer than the original disco genre) breaks will be the "next big thing"...if you look closely at the history of music you soon realise that what is deemed as "cool" today is actually a regurgitation of what was going on exactly 20 yrs ago...2001-1981...in 1981 the days of disco were pretty much done...2001 well disco house has had its days in the charts and is now recognised as mainstream....
2005-1985...what was the freshest thing going in 85...Africa Bambatta..breakdancing...all things breakbeat related...2005...i'll let you work that one out....
till next time friends, keep it rockin'
pk
good on phil for all he's done for melbourne.. makes me proud
smile.gif
-and he's playing @ sunny this weekend yeh! see some of you there.
------------------
motherfuckers better realize, now is the time to self actualize.

nice find mikey.
break them beats ppl.
break them beats.
"dont like it? dont bag it! just respect it".
word to that.
recognize.
wink.gif

------------------
Nothing lasts forever.

massiv respec 2 snrub and mikey. bruvvas
smile.gif

sum more trax..
morpheous - koma and bones !!holy fuck !!
onephatdiva - bad habit (stanton warriors rmx)
freestylers - here we go (plump dj rmx)
orbital - funny break (plump dj rmx)
jammin - hold on
mellow trax - outta space (dee kline rmx)
sia - little man (exemen rmx)
fat boy slim - demons (stanton warriors rmx)
that last one is blowing my mind at the moment.. i cant get over it. have fun with those boys.. and dish some more out my way pleeeeeze.
classic ol jungle track that you cant go past -
t-power & mk ultra - mutant jazz
^if you dont like this track i dont like you !!! hahahaha
smile.gif

delving into the 2step world some essential cd's are mj cole - sincere, and wookie - self titled.
my advice to anyone liking the 2step/breaks sound is to go out and buy -
"ministry of sound - 2 step the album - mixed by james ash".
this album will give you a wide understanding of the sound on which you can chase up. by the way i recently found out james ash is from melb after thinkin he was uk for like ever.. much respec to the melb scene
smile.gif

biggest 2 step track ever no question -
joy - mark "ruff" ryder
"mark the ruff the ryder
special mc
we getcha freaky
we getcha freaky"
nething by mc skibadee must be hunted down and savoured.
"and thats all i have to say about that.." (forrest gump voice) for the moment neways
breaks make my world go round
tony
smile.gif

------------------
bringing the house (and the NRG) down.

Snrub... Adam Freeland's On Tour album is actually mixed, produced, etc. in Brighton!! In his studio!! So much for "On Tour" LOL... and, as for the crowd noises, these were apparently obtained by him carrying a wee tape recorder with him while out playing his sets. Sounds more like canned cheering to me... bleh
frown.gif
I don't mean to bag him, but after Tectonics, and seeing Adam out a few times, I was expecting more; a LOT more.

bgrrl:
fair enuff. he pulled an oakey then
frown.gif
. thats not cool imo.
but its still a hell CD, i mean he goes wild with the sampler, those weird synth warbles and the wicked 'diggydiggydang' garridge sample just come in at the most perfect times.
as far as the mixing goes, i thot it was unroool, i mean that quinn whaley - hold tight track just drops like a bomb (to maaasive crowd cheers
frown.gif
heheh pffft) and so does bushwacka - egyptian.
i personally like it better than tectonics (so far, then again ive heard tectonics maybe a thousand times), its still a hell mix but its not the best ever, purely for the egotistical crowd noises.

A couple of good tracks from the more warped side of breakbeats:
*Bogdan Raczynski - Boku Mo Wakaran
*Tusken Raiders(aka µ-ziq) - Gaderffi Stick
*Squarepusher - Beep Street
*Kasha feat. Shara Nelson - U (this isn't warped, but I didn't have any more 'normal' breaks tracks to make a separate category for it
redface.gif
)
And amen to Fat Tony for both Wookie's album and the Plump remix of "Here We Go"
smile.gif

------------------
Let's enjoy yourselves!

grrr i still havent heard the new freeland yet.. ta for reminding me peeps.
nice toumbido nice.. i'll try n check out some of those when i get the chance. hey if you dig wookie do you know any other cds i could check out that live up to that 2 step quality???
i got wookie
2 step the album
mj cole sincere (has he released anything else on cd?)
artful dodger - the blue one.
theres other dodgy 2 step albums around that just aint worth a listen.. i want the gooooood stuff.. ne suggestions??

ha ha, when i first read the title for this article i though you meant, had you given 'breaks', as in a break from ecstasy, a go.
frown.gif
!

*bump*
If you like breaks go and buy bedrock breaks new album mixeed by hyper its awesome.
Wiff some nice remixs
freq nastys remix of the fatboy himself(which is especilly cool since he opened with the original at 33 1/3)
pmt's remix wish you were hear
hypers own remix of addited to bass(and it fuckn rocks)
and of course a few plump remixs thrown in for good measure
Also the album conatins songs by the heavyweights koma and bones,meat kattie,renie philgrem and many more lesser known artists with plenty to offer. Cant be fucked giving you the full track listing.

My favorite break tracks:
Holy Calamity (Bear Witness II) - Handsomeboy Modelling School (f. DJ Shadow & DJ Quest)
-F.