• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids hate on oral morphine

Hezman94

Bluelighter
Is oral morphine really tht crap or is it massive heroin addicts who say that, ive read it an be ujsed for mainteance and id rather go on all extended med from my drs than go on metadone full time.
The bioavabilityis 30percent but dihydrocodeine is ver low nd people speak highly abou that.
So why the hate, what would people take before oxys became popular.

If it works for you don't even think about what people say. Some condemn it because compared to something like oxy it has low bioavailability, but for the pain side of things it can still be useful, yeah you won't be as "high" from 30mg oral morphine like from 30mg oral oxy but the pain killing properties are still there. The only guy who you should hear out and trust is your own doctor, he's been working for some time with you so he knows what works best for you, beside you of course. So don't worry about what other people say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi hezman! I like the profile pic lol

Hmm... I think people who really like opiates do feel a bit queasy when they hear that someone is swallowing morphine. It's as if someone ordered a meal, threw three quarters of it into a bin and then complained about being hungry afterwards. I guess we don't see any downsides to plugging so it's easy to feel like eating morphine is a waste.

xoxo

I like the oral morphine WAY better than plugging it.
Orally gives me great analgesia and a good feeling of relaxation and well being.
Plus lasts for twelve hours!

Hi hezman! I like the profile pic lol

Hmm... I think people who really like opiates do feel a bit queasy when they hear that someone is swallowing morphine. It's as if someone ordered a meal, threw three quarters of it into a bin and then complained about being hungry afterwards. I guess we don't see any downsides to plugging so it's easy to feel like eating morphine is a waste.

xoxo
That is my take on the situation as well. I feel especially queasy when I think of all the morphine tablets I took orally when I was younger and less well informed.

But if you don't have a high tolerance then it is much less of an issue. I think ppl are so sensitive about it is because once you have a tolerance and a dependency every single mg of morphine becomes extraordinarily precious and the thought of losing 60% of it to poor oral bioavailability is just too much to bear

Yeah plugging MS isn't a huge gain, but some don't mind the extra effort. The M-6-Glucuroninde levels are why some prefer oral dosing imo. It's stronger than the parent drug.
The bioavailability of morphine after rectal administration was found to be 53.3 +/- 17.8% (mean +/- S.D.). Peak concentrations of 16.3 +/- 8.7 ng ml-1 were reached after 59 +/- 16 min. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3387374

Considering how many people take massive amounts of Codeine, if it works for you, maybe the BA doesn't really matter. Oxymorphone is only 10 % orally BA, but some swear by it..

It does have a low oral BA but as you say so do many other drugs. As long as you adjust the dose accordingly to make up for the low BA it makes no difference.

I fucking love a bottle of Oramorph. Even sipping a small amount gives me a nice high. Great as an actual painkiller too. There's a reason it's the gold standard by which all other opiates are compared.

Never had XR tablets so can't comment specifically on those.

But as others have said, people who hate on it are usually oxy or heroin addicts with huge tolerances. For them oral morphine does nothing because they're used to smack that may very well be cut with fent.

I also notice it's usually Americans who hate on oral morphine, probably because they have so much fent going around, and even if they stick to legit pharma oxy is what they use over there and obviously that's gonna bump your tolerance up enough you won't feel much from oral morphine.

But even British smackheads have love for the Oramorph in my experience. Example I am matey with a local beggar who is a heroin addict, I once told him I got Oramorph and he was saying oh that's good stuff but be careful it's strong etc. Another bloke I knew, wasn't a beggar or anything but was a bit dodgy and knew a few dealers who sold H, he told me be careful not only because it's strong but also because "proper drug addicts will come after you for it." He kept emphasising that to me, that "proper drug addicts" love the stuff.

But I mention oxy and usually the response is "what's that?"

TL;DR: Never heard any hate for oral morphine IRL at all, in fact I've only heard praise, only come across hate for it online when it's Americans with huge tolerances posting.

I think the low BA thing is a red herring... There's a reason we have opiate equivalence tables.. The doses of oral morphine prescribed are correspondingly higher to account for low BA..

Its like when people marvel at the power of fent.. Medically it matters not if its 100 times stronger than morphine if the dose is 100 times lower in the mcg range... The problem only arises when it's part of an unknown cut as per US heroin..

People get tied up on BA but seem to totally overlook dose equivalence IMO.

I think the low BA thing is a red herring... There's a reason we have opiate equivalence tables.. The doses of oral morphine prescribed are correspondingly higher to account for low BA..

Exactly mate, if the BA is accounted for when calculating the dose it literally does not matter. Higher doses are also prescribed for XR.