Happiness.......

My therapist recently asked me to define happiness............
I couldn't put it into words-
She then asked me to visualize happiness, what did I see?

My idea of happiness was simple- Less stress, more smiles, nature and either Children or Travel.
I have a feeling this wasn't exactly what she was looking for..........

So if you were to answer those two questions, bolded above, what would be your answer?

I've stared at this for roughly 10 minutes. I'd have to say happiness is mental stability and being with those I love, as for a visualization ... man hell if I know. Winning any contest always has given me the most SATISFACTIOn , but that's not remotely deep on the level that I consider true happiness.

Happiness: A warm feeling, Security, being productive, Appreciation, Loving and being loved, Surrender, Freedom of Mind, Body and Spirit, being Connected to Everything and Everyone.

Happiness for me, looks like- A panoramic view of everything and everyone around me and feeling both connected and apart from it all. Like in that moment having a glimpse of what it is to be a little part of a Great Universal Spirit; Realising Im both attached and unattached to this world.

I just asked 'D' this question and he said:
(...em how do I put this Eloquently?) ''Defecating'' lol

Last edited:
Happiness: A warm feeling, Security, being productive, Appreciation, Loving and being loved, Surrender, Freedom of Mind, Body and Spirit, being Connected to Everything and Everyone.

Happiness for me, looks like- A panoramic view of everything and everyone around me and feeling both connected and apart from it all. Like in that moment having a glimpse of what it is to be a little part of a Great Universal Spirit; Realising Im both attached and unattached to this world.

I just asked 'D' this question and he said:
(...em how do I put this Eloquently?) ''Defecating'' lol

lolololol

It is really not possible to be happy all the time, I would trade happiness for being content. To me being content=happiness.

The really strange thing about happiness is that you only really ponder whether or not you have it when you don't. Any time in my life that I've felt truly happy, I have never once sat down and thought to myself 'wow, I'm so happy right now' - instead I just sort of carry on what I'm doing, oblivious. On the other hand most of the occasions I've felt really down, I know that I spent a good deal of that time asking myself if I was happy or not, how I was feeling.

So for me happiness is the thing that no-one ever truly gets to have and be aware of it. Not because it is impossible to find, just that because when you do find it, knowing if you have it or not suddenly isn't so important. The only answer you'll ever get by asking yourself 'am I happy?' - is no.

...maybe that's why it's so elusive.

I really like this

I disagree that you can't be aware of your own happiness. A million different thoughts can flow through my head at any time and in the midst of some great moment or life-event I have definitely thought to myself "this is where it's at for real!" but I'm not spending nearly as much of my time pondering my happiness when I am unhappy that's a great observation.

I know this is kinda lame, but whenever I'm having a bad day or feel down, my dog always makes me smile or laugh.

Hun that is not lame at all! I feel exactly the same way with my pets. It's almost impossible to feel sad when my pets are trying to get my attention. I could be really depressed or angry, crying, boiling over, but as soon as I see my dog or one of my cats (in particular my ginger boy, he is an affection MONSTER!) I instantly smile and all of a sudden everything I was upset about just melts away.

To me being content=happiness.

Me too, exactly.

To me, happiness is feeling content with my situation and with myself. It's not common that both of those things align to create happiness, but when they do it is awesome.

my definition of happiness, would be temporary. if im happy, its usually short lived. i try to remind myself for example, if im shopping and i see "that dress" or "those shoes" its at that moment where the world stops and i get happy, however usually on the way home, reality sets in and like always the dress and the shoes get put away with everything else, with hopes of actually putting them to use. i am very, very phobic, and sometimes scared to leave my god damn appt. my mother usually picks me up about 2xs a week. ive got a closet full of beautiful clothes that just sit there. visualizing happiness for me is seeing myself actually get out of my apt. and being able to wear them, like a normal person. i visualize that alot.the reality is, there is no happiness, just a temporary little fantasy pretty much.its not real.

being stable and content with where I am is the happiest I have ever been. And believe I am a cynical stubborn sob !!!! Nothin wrong with bein happy, I'll take it anyday night week month year.

Giving of myself completely, I find I'm happiest when I'm working a lot because when I'm actually working it's selfless. A private music student of mine had to write an essay in his school about the person who most inspired him in life and he wrote it about me (this particular kid is super cool too, a very wise old soul even though he's only nine)! I was thinking to myself I must be doing something right when I heard about that.

I meet the most interesting people in my line of work and it's always changing, different places, venues,.. etc. so I'd say I'm happiest when I'm working a lot.

Dogs are almost always conducive to happiness, especially the big ones, I'm not too into the small dogs that look like cats. I love dogs. It's hard not to smile when a cool dog is in the room.

A private music student of mine had to write an essay in his school about the person who most inspired him in life and he wrote it about me (this particular kid is super cool too, a very wise old soul even though he's only nine)! I was thinking to myself I must be doing something right when I heard about that.

That is SO cool! Happy 4 you, this is a clear reflection of who you are! :D<3

Giving of myself completely, I find I'm happiest when I'm working a lot because when I'm actually working it's selfless. A private music student of mine had to write an essay in his school about the person who most inspired him in life and he wrote it about me (this particular kid is super cool too, a very wise old soul even though he's only nine)! I was thinking to myself I must be doing something right when I heard about that.

I meet the most interesting people in my line of work and it's always changing, different places, venues,.. etc. so I'd say I'm happiest when I'm working a lot.

Dogs are almost always conducive to happiness, especially the big ones, I'm not too into the small dogs that look like cats. I love dogs. It's hard not to smile when a cool dog is in the room.

my pug stole the neighbors bullmastiff huge tennis ball with a jingle in it. I see him trottin down the street with a ball twice the size of his head in his mouth struttin his stuff LOL !!!

Happiness to me is laying in bed beside my husband everynight talking and eating in bed, the look on my 2 year olds face when i tell her we r going to mickey d's to play on the indoor playpark that just fills my hear with joy....riding down the road with my 12 year old daughter sitting shotgun and rapping our favorite ti song "u can have whatever u like" with the radio blasting.my hubby 2 girls and my 3 stepsons all together putting up the christmas tree....my big fat cat named tom just looking at him makes me smile. that is happiness to me

my definition of happiness, would be temporary. if im happy, its usually short lived. i try to remind myself for example, if im shopping and i see "that dress" or "those shoes" its at that moment where the world stops and i get happy, however usually on the way home, reality sets in and like always the dress and the shoes get put away with everything else, with hopes of actually putting them to use. i am very, very phobic, and sometimes scared to leave my god damn appt. my mother usually picks me up about 2xs a week. ive got a closet full of beautiful clothes that just sit there. visualizing happiness for me is seeing myself actually get out of my apt. and being able to wear them, like a normal person. i visualize that alot.the reality is, there is no happiness, just a temporary little fantasy pretty much.its not real.

i am so sorry that there is no happiness in your life that honestly hurts my heart for u. i just wanted to send best wishes and warm thought your way:)

I like this thread..I find it incredibly strange I've never asked myself this question before..Like DUH no wonder I'm not happy..I can't even describe it how can I expect to achieve it?? I shall think about it and edit this post!

I really enjoyed reading this. It tells me that innocence lost from childhood can be reformed into an even more pleasant type of adult innocence (if that makes any sense).

I'm currently unsure as to what my inner belief/definition of happiness is. In the past, I clearly recall an immense sense of joy seeing my dog (he has since passed) play with his toys with such unabashed pleasure. That was a nice feeling

Childhood I truthfully believe can be re-obtained , a little re-wiriing and a lot of dedication and you can come out on top again brother. My PTSD has haunted me, I've taken a FDA approved method but not exactly under their supervision and have regained a lot of joy in my life now.

Define happiness...

Being stress free, no debt (or other financial burdens) - this also includes having enough money (or a steady supply of it) to cover all expenses that come up, and having someone that you love, love you back.

Visualize happiness - sitting on a porch, relaxing on a mid-summer evening, watching the grass blow, with your kids playing on the lawn and your wife by your side.

That's how I answer those two questions. That actually made me kinda depressed, because it doesn't seem like both of those are completely and fully possible.

my kitty makes me happier than anything or anyone. she's my soul mate <3

Having something to look foreward to and something to live for certainly helps make me feel happy.