• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Hallucinogen dependency

okay...
banghead.gif

fastandbulbous said:
Well I hate to burst the bubble, but because of tolerance build up, the main thing that daily LSD would do would be to act as an antidepressant (low daily dosage seems to produce antidepressant effects in people who took part in studies in the 60's). As such maybe your 'state of grace' was actually relief from depression, I've suffered from enough depressive states in my life to know how amazing it is when the depression is lifted. Rather than run the risk of compounding any other psychiatric conditions (LSD unmasked my latent manic-depression), try considering an accepted (by tthe medical profession) antidepressant; they're not the soul destroyiing drug that some people think they are, not if you suffer from cruppling depression.

Although I do not like them (because of the effect on libido), maybe one of the serotonogic antidepressants might be most helpful

I don't know how to contact that person who orginally wrote that. It was from the board that can 't be mentioned here I think?

Psychedelics_r_best said:
Shit guys. I just realized something. I have developed guitar-dependance. I started playing, and then I just couldn't stop. Since that time I've played guitar thousands of times. Shit guys, I guess I'm addicted.

What kind of bullshit study is this. There is physiological dependance and psychological dependance. Most psychedelics produce absolutely no physiological dependance. Psychological dependance is simply a repeated activity due to the fact that it is liked and enjoyable. If a study finds that people are becoming "addicted" to LSD and mescaline, it is simply because they like the experience, just the same as someone likes to play an instrument, go swimming, skateboard, race cars, etc, not because of some ominous dependance on a malicious drug that plans to steal away your life.
This study is cockshit.

No, it's not. Most people think that psychedelics are antiaddictives, what they can be.

Life is a disease. Sexually transmitted and lethal.

Addiction is one of the life's primal instincts.

We, and all other animals, are machines created by our genes.
-Richard Dawkins

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene

Q. "Who drives you?" A. "The memes of course."
-Susan Blackmore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

Until a few decades ago scant attention was paid to the pineal gland. Then came the case, noted by Dr. Berman, in which a child was brought to a German clinic suffering from eye trouble and headaches. He was five years old and very mature, and apparently had reached the age of adolescence. He was abnormally bright mentally, discussing metaphysical and spiritual subjects. He was strongly group-conscious and only happy when sharing what he had with others. After his arrival at the clinic, he rapidly grew worse and died in a month. An autopsy showed a tumor of the pineal gland.
- Berman, Louis, M.D., The Glands Regulating Personality, p. 89.

- copy-pasted from https://rikki.fi/tajkor/vaikutelmia2.html

I use 5mg of escitalopram daily. But I still need my almost daily doses of psychedelics and ketamine for my bipolar disorder (manic depression) and ADHD.

You're the first person of such a kind I have ever encountered.

Taking the above abstract and substituting every instance of "hallucinogen" with tennis, and "use" with play:

This study, based upon survey data from the United States Tennis Association (USTA) from 2000 to 2001, presents new estimates for the risk of developing a tennis dependence syndrome within 24 months after first playing any style of tennis (median elapsed time approximately 12 months). Subgroup variations in risk of becoming tennis dependent also are explored. Estimates are derived from the USTA representative samples of non-institutionalized U.S. residents ages 12 and older (n=114,241). A total of 2035 respondents had played tennis for the first time within 24 months prior to assessment. An estimated 2-3% of these recent-onset tennis players had become dependent on tennis, according to the DSM-IV computerized diagnostic algorithm. Controlling for sociodemographic and other tennis playing covariates, very early first tennis playing (age 10-11 years) is associated with increased risk of tennis dependence (p<0.01). Excess risk of developing tennis dependence was found in association with recent-onset use of Prince rackets; excess risk also was found for recent-onset users of Wilson balls and of Nike shoes. This study's evidence is consistent with prior evidence on a tangible but quite infrequent dependence syndrome soon after the start of tennis playing; it offers leads that can be confirmed or disconfirmed in future investigations.

Conclusion: This study bolsters the merit of using PCP, mescaline and or MDMA.