• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Guide to quitting opiates cold-turkey...

I detoxed in jail....it was a nightmare. Like RDP said..in jail they laugh and don't give a shit about you. I had seizures, hallucinated, threw my guts up. I don't understand why I had seizures-I don't drink and I wasn't taking benzos. The meds they give are over the counter type....and I threw them up anyway. They did start giving me Tylenol w codeine and I didn't know they had-I was in bad shape. One afternoon I sat up and thought "I feel normal" and thought it was some kind of miracle. That was short-lived-they taper you off quickly and I couldn't even feel the benefits when the dose got lower.

After 16days, of not eating, and being in a lot of pain-I was put on Neurontin. It was a life saver. Within an hour or so of taking it I ate, got a shower, felt much better.

The detox suggestion by OP is great but not entirely correct for me personally. I was very very sick to the point it was dangerous. I was in medical, naked in a dungeon like cell. I'd never recommend this to anyone....or cold turkey by choice. Going inpatient for a medically supervised detox is what I'd recommend. Going CT is dangerous and proves nothing in my opinion. It was traumatic.

I've been clean for a year and about 3mos. I'm doing good...though when I was locked up I was so upset I thought about using a lot. I had been off dope for a month and a half before I was detained for a probation viol I was on prescribed morphine-300mgs/day...it was morphine I detoxed off of. It was really hard to stop using heroin....and I did it. The fact that I got locked up and had stopped using was really upsetting.

Anyway OP, that is some basic good advice and definitely, if at home, have 24/7 support. Best of luck to everyone.

On the whole serotonin "thing" depleted and whatnot what role can an ssri or snri play in such a situation seeing as they correct those balances do they not?

On the whole serotonin "thing" depleted and whatnot what role can an ssri or snri play in such a situation seeing as they correct those balances do they not?

Serotonin hasn't been implicated in withdrawals conclusively, and due to rebound depression and the potential for SSRIs to "prime" your brain for later depression I'd say to avoid them. Exercise is the best thing for PAWs, and SSRIs definitely will not help withdrawal.

If your suffering from withdrawl then your doing it wrong. I don't know if anyone else mentioned this but just take kratom I just kicked suboxone and felt great the whole time.

Congratulations. How far into your kick are you?

Actually I've known many people who quit cold turkey in jail/prison, etc. and they all say that it's tremendously easier for some reason.

I think it's the fact that you're away from your regular life and responsibilities. If I can get away from all the crap and drama of my life (work, family, etc) I could kick any opiate habit with nothing but the bear necessities.

For the record, it was not a jail, thank God. It was a Federal prison and there's a huge difference. Trust me, it was not easier! Being around no one you know, strange environment, shitty food, kind of expected to jump through a few hoops during the day when all you want to do is lay down and die (when you aren't shitty your ass off!). Basically, I'd take being at home any day of the week. As far as no access; the only reason personally I'd be quitting CT on the outside IS if I didn't have anything, but that's just my circumstance.

P.S. Sorry I realized this thread is pretty old. Didn't really mean to keep it going since it's clear the OP has gotten sufficient answers but now. I'll stop now.

Last edited:
^^^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That about covered it. Not easier...at all.

Guys, long time user here. No point in telling my story because everyone's heard it all before. My tolerance is so ridiculously high & because of that I am always broke. I have also been on/off of Suboxone/Zubsolv but all this did was keep me from getting sick whenever I didn't have oxy. Besides, they don't even work for me anymore. After many many years of being an addict, I found a doctor willing to write me a script for 150 30mg roxies per month. I went to see him complaining of 'back pain', told him my dad has a script that he has been sharing with me but doesn't want to do it anymore & 30mg oxy is all that works. Wrote me a script with no problem. He ordered up an MRI which I went for & it showed I actually have a crushed vertebrae (which I knew about already), a bulging disc & arthritis! I thought now I'd be saving money because I wouldn't have to buy them anymore. I was wrong, it only got worse. I am seriously looking to quit. I've done one day easy, plenty of times but on day 2 I always go back or take a Sub. The worst of the withdrawal symptoms, for me at least is the non stop sweating/chills. If I am home, laying on the couch (which is what I usually do if I don't have oxy), the sweating is at a minimum but as soon as I get up & start moving around, the sweating is ridiculous. And if I'm at work, forget it, I'm drenched in sweat & the chills are a real problem to deal with. Can anyone recommend ANYTHING at all that will help with the sweating/chills. Fortunately, I work down the block from my house & there have been plenty of times I snuck home just to change my clothes & take a quick hot shower.
Another major issue for me, and I know this is mental, is the lack of motivation to do ANYTHING or talk to anyone. Like I said, if I don't have oxy & I am not working, I am on the couch. I can't imagine doing anything or getting anything done without it & know this is a problem. a mental problem, but a problem. Did anyone else think this way? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of a battle of trying to kick heroin once again. The withdrawal symptoms these days seem to start about 24 hours after my last use. This is nothing like back in the day, I'd be sick in 7-8 hours. I suppose that's because back then I was injecting and my habit was up to 30 bags a day. However, now I am snorting and have only been at it about a month. About 3-4 bags a day now. Like u said, I find it odd that I don't actually begin getting sick until about 24 hours after my last use. But I was dead set on quitting for good yesterday. Went to work and forced myself not to blow anything before I left. Day was fine and into the late night hours I was feeling it kicking in. But I was motivated that I had a solid 24 behind me and it was nearing sleep time so that'd get me even further. I took a Valium half before bed as the legs were getting twitchy (the absolute most unbearable part if u ask me...and if anyone has remedies that would be gold to me). However, I awoke after a quick doze and before I knew it...I located a spare bag I had in a cabinet and in a half conscious state sniffed it all. When I realised what just went down I was furious...it was hard enough to let myself start to get sick...took like 3 weeks just to push myself to allow the sickness to begin...and here I could have had 36 hours gone by and in a daze I blew it...and yes, I know it was idiotic having a reserve bag in the house. Clearly. So, it had been 24 hours since my last use, and the sickness was coming on, not too crazy but definitely dope sickness. Did I lighten my load by taking that 24 hour break? Or can I pretty much start the process all over again as if I hadn't taken a 24 hour break at all? How far back does blowing that one bag set me in my detox?

Also, I'm planning on detoxing by using adderall for energy and productivity so I'm active along with Valium to keep the legs from twitching and kicking(the worst!). And other suggestions?

Thanks

I'm in the middle of a battle of trying to kick heroin once again. The withdrawal symptoms these days seem to start about 24 hours after my last use. This is nothing like back in the day, I'd be sick in 7-8 hours. I suppose that's because back then I was injecting and my habit was up to 30 bags a day. However, now I am snorting and have only been at it about a month. About 3-4 bags a day now. Like u said, I find it odd that I don't actually begin getting sick until about 24 hours after my last use. But I was dead set on quitting for good yesterday. Went to work and forced myself not to blow anything before I left. Day was fine and into the late night hours I was feeling it kicking in. But I was motivated that I had a solid 24 behind me and it was nearing sleep time so that'd get me even further. I took a Valium half before bed as the legs were getting twitchy (the absolute most unbearable part if u ask me...and if anyone has remedies that would be gold to me). However, I awoke after a quick doze and before I knew it...I located a spare bag I had in a cabinet and in a half conscious state sniffed it all. When I realised what just went down I was furious...it was hard enough to let myself start to get sick...took like 3 weeks just to push myself to allow the sickness to begin...and here I could have had 36 hours gone by and in a daze I blew it...and yes, I know it was idiotic having a reserve bag in the house. Clearly. So, it had been 24 hours since my last use, and the sickness was coming on, not too crazy but definitely dope sickness. Did I lighten my load by taking that 24 hour break? Or can I pretty much start the process all over again as if I hadn't taken a 24 hour break at all? How far back does blowing that one bag set me in my detox?

Also, I'm planning on detoxing by using adderall for energy and productivity so I'm active along with Valium to keep the legs from twitching and kicking(the worst!). And other suggestions?

Thanks

I'm not familiar with H or how much of a dose one bag would be but I would think it's the same thing as weening yourself off being that you waited 24 hours to use.

I'm 22 years old and have been taking about 90-120mg of oxy 30s per day for the past 3 years. I really truly want to stop. The only reason I'm even taking them still is just to avoid WD symptoms, not to even get a buzz. Luckily, I haven't been able to make much money for the last 8months since I totaled my car and can't get to work as often. So now I'd say the most I've taken in a day in the last 2 months is anywhere from 15-45mg. 2 days ago when I woke up I blew 15mg and haven't been able to get any since then. So I'm on about 48 hours now with nothing. The worst part in my opinion is the severe muscle aches. I'm blessed to have access to clonidine which I feel helps me out tremendously with the RLS and aches. Even helps me sleep a little bitter. But I'm wondering how long until this shit passes??!

Thank you so much for posting this, I have been trying to find information on withdrawing. Iv only been on Percocet for a little over two months every day, although prescribed to me I haven't liked the effect and addiction that it has on me already. I talked to my doctor about weaning off of it but he highly advised that I didn't because of my chronic pain. I was thinking about doing it cold turkey at home. I was just wondering if anyone knew how sever my withdrawals would be only being on the medication for two months and if it would be very serious?? Thank you

Thank you so much for posting this, I have been trying to find information on withdrawing. Iv only been on Percocet for a little over two months every day, although prescribed to me I haven't liked the effect and addiction that it has on me already. I talked to my doctor about weaning off of it but he highly advised that I didn't because of my chronic pain. I was thinking about doing it cold turkey at home. I was just wondering if anyone knew how sever my withdrawals would be only being on the medication for two months and if it would be very serious?? Thank you

How much are you typically taking a day? And if you really wish to get off the meds and believe you can handle your chronic pain without it then I'd say go for it! The longer you're on the pain meds, the harder it will be to get off them for sure. But overall, depending on how much you were taking, I don't think it'll be unbearably bad to get off them. Consider yourself lucky because generally, most people take them for a lot longer then 2 months before they want to get off! Good luck and I hope this helps! Stay strong and remember: one day at a time is all you need to get through

How much are you typically taking a day? And if you really wish to get off the meds and believe you can handle your chronic pain without it then I'd say go for it! The longer you're on the pain meds, the harder it will be to get off them for sure. But overall, depending on how much you were taking, I don't think it'll be unbearably bad to get off them. Consider yourself lucky because generally, most people take them for a lot longer then 2 months before they want to get off! Good luck and I hope this helps! Stay strong and remember: one day at a time is all you need to get through

^^ I currently got onto subutex to help me get off the opiates and I feel like it's making everything 1000% worse than if I would have just quit ☹️

I took 8mg suboxone day 1, have not touched it due to taste and prolonging w/d
Im on day4 now its 5am here in u.kn detox off 400mg a day oxy.
Cloidine - clonazepam - improfen all i took

Since this is a harm reduction forum I will preface how I have found is the easiest way to quit opiates with this clear warning that drugs are bad, and benzos are an even worse addiction if you keep on using them past your kick. That being barked, I always found that tapering or actually stopping using heroin after a run to be miserable. Then I tried it with 10 1mg klonopins, a couple a day for a few days. Maybe take 3 the 2nd day and only 1 on day 5. Anyways, with weed, good movies and a small amount of klonopin, opiate WD is a walk in the park as long as your habit isn't too giant, and you have a decent tolerance of misery like me :) I guess some would say this method isn't cold turkey, but it's at least warm turkey.

I needed 3x40mg oxys all insuflatted to feel normal, thus needing 200mg to feel what i wanted.
I am now on day 4 and am leaving my house today to go for a drive and a walk on my own get some fresh air as i have not left the house bar one day where ihad work.

Last night i fell asleep at 8.30 and awoke at 5am, i suppose that is quite good to be fair, although benzos played a part, the hot flashes are still majorly apparent and i feel them as writing this.

My tolerance was insane, pathetically insane and i hated it due to cash flow, i have spent over 2k the last 3 month on oxy alone.

Taking 3 80mg oxys to get a gopd warm feeling and light nod is no good, first time i tried i took a 40mg chewed up amd it nodded me for 4 hours, my journey then was a journey to self destruction.

Weirdly nobody knows this, i habe put my 3 stone weight loss down to stress of my job.

Anyway on with day 4 now, lets see how this pans out, could be a disaster going out, but im sure fresh air will help.

2xNaproxen - 0.1mg cloindie and 3mg clonazepam im on as from 5 minuite ago, i know its alot, but it helps

it doesn't have to be this way guys!
google Rapid Subutex/Suboxone (doesn't matter which) Taper

its best done in a week or two but i've accomplished it in as little time as four days
buprenorphine was made for this, not fot just using it as a substitute, for the rest of your life, its a detox tool
oh, and its not comfortable, but its a hell of a lot better than rattling the wd's off CT; like the idea of being able to get a half-decent sleep at night? how about retaing control of your bowels? want to exterminate those ants that keep crawling over you? RST; ​do it.

you are so wrong
Keeping is a homie and means well. He wouldn't intentionally say anything wrong. Just like most of us BLers. Can you explain what you mean by this?
and I personally can vouche for Keeping. His posts are legit. For anyone wanting to detox, look into suboxone rapid detox. ALSO, look into kratom, too. W/d really doesn't have to be as painful! I feel that the stigma of withdrawl is so bad, but in reality it isn't that bad. It is a mind game for sure. If anyone really seeking help or a detox guideline, feel free to PM me.

I seriously wish the best to all of yall
With much love,
LS