• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Guide to quitting opiates cold-turkey...

Flo-Rida

Bluelighter
First and foremost, I'm not going to lecture anyone about quitting. Do what you do, man (or woman).

This post is just a simple guide for those who have an opiate addiction and are considering quitting.

My short back story:
I'm 25 years old and I got mixed up with Oxycodone back in 2007. I did it for 3 years straight, even though the birth of my son. Sure there were some good times, but it mostly bad, especially towards the end. The cost to maintain my habit got too high and I was more often sick from withdrawal than feeling normal. After about 1 1/2 years of constant usage, it stopped being about "getting high" and started being about taking enough just to feel like a normal person again and get through my day. I hid my addiction from everyone except my wife, and would often snort Oxy at work in the server room just so I can get through my day. It was bad. One day I finally said enough and decided to quit. I'm the kind of person who can't do treatment programs. My personality just won't allow it, and I'll be completely unresponsive to outside treatment and people interfering in my life. I tried the whole Suboxone thing, but after a month I found that I was just abusing that as well, and it wasn't really solving anything. Finally I said, time to man up and just stop.

The medical warning:
Quitting an Opiate addiction can cause serious adverse effects on your body. Although rare, depending on the type of addiction you have and to what drug, quitting cold-turkey can be life threatening. At the very least, consult with a doctor and get a physical before you try to quit. A doctor will tell you if you're healthy enough to deal with the withdrawal. If you've consulted with a doctor or feel you're strong enough to do it regardless, keep reading.

The guide to quitting cold-turkey:
First things first, let me be honest and say... it's going to fucking suck. If you think the minor "sickness" you get in between your doses is bad, wait until you stop altogether. Still interested? Keep reading.

Let me lighten things up a little bit and give you a few facts that might make you feel a little better.

Fact 1: After you quit cold-turkey the worst symptoms only last between 2-3 days.
Fact 2: The precipitating symptoms will only last up to 2 weeks.
Fact 3: After about 4-5 days of recovery, you can begin to return to your normal life.
Fact 4: Opiate addiction IS reversible, and given enough time your brain function will regulate and start producing dopamine and serotonin naturally again.

Now time for the symptoms you can expect. Keep in mind, symptoms differ from person to person. These are just generalized symptoms that MOST opiate addicts will experience during complete withdrawal.

Day 1: After 24 hours from your last dose you can expect the standard "sickness" to kick in. This will likely include body weakness, flu-like symptoms, and stomach problems such as constipation or diarrhea (either or).

Day 2: After 48 hours the symptoms will worsen. You can expect to be very weak with a lot of stomach pain and trips to the bathroom. You will generally feel lethargic and tired. You won't want to do much of anything, let alone get out of bed.

Day 3: On or after the 3rd day the worst symptoms should begin to plateau, and will only subside from here. Your brain still isn't producing dopamine and serotonin naturally, so you'll experience a lot of body aches and muscle soreness. Your stomach problems might be at the peak now, and if you're not blowing out your bowels on a regular basis, then you're probably constipated (see information on constipation below).

Week 1: By the end of the first week you'll notice some of your energy coming back. You'll still feel pretty weak and won't want to do much, but you should be comfortable going out in public. Just don't push yourself too much. Your stomach problems should also begin to reside and your GI system will regulate itself.

Week 2: By the end of week two you should be feeling slightly normal again. You'll have more energy than normal, stomach problems all gone or close to it, and your brain should already be starting to regulate it's dopamine production as well, so your body shouldn't be aching as much.

Month 1: By the end of the first month you should be just fine. You'll be back to work, exercising regularly, hanging out with friends and family, etc, etc. Your brain should be back on the right track, although it still has a ways to do. By this point, you might be dealing with some slight depression. Your worst problem you'll have in the coming months is fighting the CRAVING to go back on the drugs (relapse). But the good news is that most people who quit cold-turkey will never fully relapse into addiction again. Only about 30% of people who quit an Opiate addiction cold-turkey will become addicted again a few months later.

The kit... If you've read the above and still think you're man enough to try it. I suggest you prepare a "kit." When you're ready to pop, snort, or inject your last dose of opiates and say goodbye to them forever, then I suggest you do/have the following:

1) A buddy. A lot of opiate addicts are secretive about their addiction, and this is normal because it's frowned upon in our society. However, before you decide to quit you need to tell at least ONE person. Trust me, you'll want a friend or family member there by your side for this and they will be your most valuable asset. There's nothing to be ashamed of when you ADMIT you have a problem and ready to deal with it, and whoever you tell should respect you for your decision to get clean. Make sure your buddy/family member is aware that you are quitting cold-turkey, and that the first 3-4 days are critical. While they don't need to babysit you, they should be prepared to be there and help you with errands and emotional comfort. Quitting opiates cold-turkey WILL put you through the emotional ringer, and it's nice to have a friend to talk to.

2) Stomach medicine. As stated above, stomach problems are BOUND to occur. You can either suffer from constipation or diarrhea, or a combination of both. Make sure your house is stocked and loaded with enough stomach medication to get you though. Severe diarrhea and/or constipation can land you in the ER. I recommend keeping both Imodium and a stool softener on hand. Although it sounds gross, you might also want to buy an enema kit. If you become so constipated that your intestines are blocked from days worth of stool, then oral stool softeners won't cut it and you'll have to give yourself an enema to loosen the blockage closest to the rectum to get things moving again. Like I said... gross, but it's a fact.

Note on Constipation: Constipation, believe it or not, can be a medical emergency. If you become so constipated, i.e. no bowl movement in 3-4 days, it cause SEVERE, crippling pain. You'll be required to go to the ER will they will load you up with stool softeners and most likely give you an enema. So like I said, unless you want a hot nurse squirting water up your ass in the ER, then be prepared to do it yourself!

Note on Diarrhea: Diarrhea can also be a medical emergency. Severe diarrhea can cause dehydration. If you get diarrhea instead of constipation, then make sure to consume plenty of water and electrolytes and take Imodium. Imodium will relax the intestines and allow water to be absorbed slowly, rather than just pass right through.

3) OTC pain meds. I would recommend you stay stocked on Advil. It will help with the misc. headaches you may get and also help with the body aches. Anything is better than nothing.

4) Sleeping aides. The first nights you might find it hard to sleep. I'd recommend getting some OTC diphenhydramine and take it as recommended so you can fall asleep and stay asleep.

5) Vitamin supplements. The first few days after you quit, you might not want to eat a lot. This may cause you to become malnourished. Not having an appetite is one things, but your body NEEDS proper nutrients. I would recommend keeping one-a-day multivitamins and protein supplements on hands. Take these daily so your body gets the nutrients it needs, and they will help you recover quicker.

When to get medical help:
Although you probably won't need it if you keep your mind focused on your goal, complications MAY arise. If you experience ANY of the following, go to the ER immediately:

1) Constipation/Diarrhea: As discussed above, both of these things can be medical emergencies. If home remedies don't help and you experience either constipation OR diarrhea lasting longer than 4 days while quitting opiates, seek medical attention ASAP. If you experience sharp/severe stomach pain as a result of constipation, go to the ER IMMEDIATELY. This is NOT something that will resolve itself and it will only get worse without help.

2) Seizures. Although rare when it comes to opiate withdrawal, if you experience a seizure, or think you may have had a seizure (i.e, you black out suddenly and wake up having no idea what just happened), then seek medical attention promptly. Seizures can be severe (grand mal), and your brain chemistry might not be able to adapt to the sudden loss of the drug. It's unfortunate, but in a case where you experience seizures you will most likely have to be put on Suboxone as well as anti-convulsant medication. Being prone to seizures is usually a genetic thing. Some people get them, some people don't. But they're nothing to play around with.

Well, this is all I got for now. If I think of anything else I'll add it. I'm open to comments and suggestions, and if someone has some relevant information that should be added, then post it and I'll add it to this main thread.

Thanks! Remember, I'm not telling anyone to quit their drug of choice. This thread is only intended for those individuals who make a consciousness decision to get clean. Quitting cold-turkey is all about proper mindset. If you're not mentally prepared, then you're destined to fail.

-Ryan

The timing pretty much fits my experiences, I've done it 5-6 times. 8 years deep atm.

It's really only 3 nights worth of major pain..... you still wont be feeling comfortable but by the 4th & 5th night things will just relatively seem so much better than the first few that it starts to feel easy.

If you're trying to force yourself to quit, the best way to do it is to blow all your cash and get you somewhere where you have no connections and no way of getting around to find new ones... this is the only reason I've been through it.

In my experience most of the pain comes from overheating/fever at night. the day is horrible and uncomfortable, and time drags onnnn and onnnn - but at night If you can find a way to keep yourself cool it will help alot, also panadol (paracetamol or 'APAP') is excellent for relieving fever - if you take the 'rapid' version, you can literally feel the relief washing over you.

If you can get a hold of benzos it's probably going to be a big help.. alcohol never made it any easier for me but experience may vary. the best thing during the day I've found is putting on some really soothing ambient music and just staring at the sun. inbetween all the shitting of course. (I get diarrhea not constipation.. some tips - 1) dont drink acidic juice/curry/etc. it burns on the way out. 2) get some of those wet flushable ass-wipe things, its alot less harsh on your poor shredded bumhole than paper)

Those few days are the most painful part of the process - and youll be rewarded afterwards by almost feeling like you're on mdma, but the real difficulty lies in the rest of your life - the way I always fell down was thinking 'imagine how high I would get now that my tolerance is down... maybe just once, to send things off with a bang'..

Thank you for the thread, im in the midst of a horrible Subutex (Suboxone) addiction stemming from my abuse of heroin...

When i try to lower my dose i get very lethargic, tired, and unmotivated...i also get depressed...did you experience this?

I dont remember having these side effects in my earlier years of opiate abuse and withdrawl...

It seems the older you get, the more symptoms you get.

^^The depression comes from lack of seratonin. I am currently in subox withdrawals. Going to a new clinic actually ; been off subs for four days. It's nasty; just as bad as heroin and methadone. I heard many times subox was easier, but in no way they are.

I've heard being locked up in a Federal institution can be a very effective form of getting off opiates.

I think with CT withdrawal the relapse rate is higher, and therefore would suggest just tapering as low as possible before jumping (if even jumping at all, one can taper to virtually zero).

^^The depression comes from lack of seratonin.

Well, things are just no that simple. Not even in clinical depression. Buprenoprhine's strong kappa-receptor antagonism is related to anti-depressant effect and quitting it means just the opposite. And I dont even think opioid WD related depression is purely physical phenomema, it is also very psychological process.

Been on opiates hard for 5-6 years never been off them, past years- take my hat off to you cold turkeying. I've managed 2 days off heroin and been on 16mg/bupe. About 100usd a day in my veins probably £40k 60-80k usd I've blown over the years on opis. I think saving money I look forward too mostly

Thank fuck I never got into Fentynal IV

I agree about the depression. Right now life is dull and boring, I know heroin would fix that but what about tomorrow?

Been on opiates hard for 5-6 years never been off them, past years- take my hat off to you cold turkeying. I've managed 2 days off heroin and been on 16mg/bupe. About 100usd a day in my veins probably £40k 60-80k usd I've blown over the years on opis. I think saving money I look forward too mostly

Thank fuck I never got into Fentynal IV

I agree about the depression. Right now life is dull and boring, I know heroin would fix that but what about tomorrow?

A life of nodding out is still dull and boring, you're just too busy nodding out to care :p

In my opinion, the physical acute withdrawal is the easiest part of quitting opiates.

Nice guide, thanks for sharing :)

Here's my thoughts on a couple things:

Fact 1: After you quit cold-turkey the worst symptoms only last between 2-3 days.
Fact 2: The precipitating symptoms will only last up to 2 weeks.
Fact 3: After about 4-5 days of recovery, you can begin to return to your normal life.
Fact 4: Opiate addiction IS reversible, and given enough time your brain function will regulate and start producing dopamine and serotonin naturally again.
I wouldn't refer to these as "facts" because they vary SO widely from person to person and depend on a bunch of factors like how long you've been using the opioid, which opioid it is, your unique metabolism/brain/body, etc.

Also note that those general lengths of time for "the worst of withdrawals", the acute withdrawal stage, the post-acute withdrawal stage, and how long withdrawals take to kick in and to peak, only apply to short-acting opioids, such as heroin, and are much longer for long-acting opioids, such as methadone.

Cartesia said:
In my experience most of the pain comes from overheating/fever at night. the day is horrible and uncomfortable, and time drags onnnn and onnnn - but at night If you can find a way to keep yourself cool it will help alot

It's interesting how different the symptoms are for everyone. For me, I do sweat, but overheating is the least of my worries, in fact I feel extremely cold with goosebumps and shivers a lot of the time during withdrawal. For me the worst parts are severe pain in my muscles/bones, restlessness in my limbs, choking/coughing, heart palpitaions/irregular heart beat, anxiety and insomnia.

Nice guide, thanks for sharing :)

It's interesting how different the symptoms are for everyone. For me, I do sweat, but overheating is the least of my worries, in fact I feel extremely cold with goosebumps and shivers a lot of the time during withdrawal. For me the worst parts are severe pain in my muscles/bones, restlessness in my limbs, choking/coughing, heart palpitaions/irregular heart beat, anxiety and insomnia.

That's what i had experienced too. Withdrawal for me felt like a high dosage of piperazine after being beaten with baseball bats. +Deep, severe depression

I think with CT withdrawal the relapse rate is higher, and therefore would suggest just tapering as low as possible before jumping (if even jumping at all, one can taper to virtually zero).

Well, things are just no that simple. Not even in clinical depression. Buprenoprhine's strong kappa-receptor antagonism is related to anti-depressant effect and quitting it means just the opposite. And I dont even think opioid WD related depression is purely physical phenomema, it is also very psychological process.

I agree; however, it was a simple reply to the post above mine. I have been on opiates for 7 years or so; quit cold turkey, went on methadone, shot up again, and so on. I know what you mean, trust.

what about with tramadol WD I have done it a few times seems similar but are doing a tapper method now I think I need a shed and some helpful things to take to reduce side effects

Nice post OP, I can relate to a lot of what you stated above. I'm currently going through Oxycodone and Tramadol WD's cold turkey and I'm on day 3 opiate free. All I can say is it sucks... Been finding myself depressed the past two days with no motivation to do anything. The only thing keeping me going is knowing I've done it before years ago when I quit heroin. I really regret ever getting back into it.

I can faintly see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it's a new start for me. Quitting one addiction at a time. Next is nicotine... :\

I didnt see rls mentioned here and when i accidently over did it and got high for about a week including a gram binge the last 3 days the restless leg syndrome was the worst part of it all. I got it really bad in my upper arms and it really made it hard to sleep for hours the first 2 nights. Be prepared for restless leg syndrom to keep you up. I got too sleep by drinking and taking ativan.

I've heard being locked up in a Federal institution can be a very effective form of getting off opiates.
Actually I've known many people who quit cold turkey in jail/prison, etc. and they all say that it's tremendously easier for some reason.

I think it's the fact that you're away from your regular life and responsibilities. If I can get away from all the crap and drama of my life (work, family, etc) I could kick any opiate habit with nothing but the bear necessities.

Actually I've known many people who quit cold turkey in jail/prison, etc. and they all say that it's tremendously easier for some reason.

I think it's the fact that you're away from your regular life and responsibilities. If I can get away from all the crap and drama of my life (work, family, etc) I could kick any opiate habit with nothing but the bear necessities.

Fuk yeah, everythings easier to quit when you have no access. Cant speak for a dope habit, but cigarettes and alcohol addictions were way easier locked up for me. Alcohol was kinda scary though, in rehab they give you valium, in jail they laugh at your shaking,vomiting,hallucinating ass. When you know you could go grab it at anytime it's way harder. In jail you just accept it.