• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Guaifenesin vs methocarbamol - indistinguishable in high doses?

simstim

Bluelighter
Let me start by saying i really enjoy several grams (usually 4-4.5g) of methocarbamol per dose and think it's the best carbamate muscle relaxer that is easy to obtain (somas suck for me bc my liver doesn't make something useful with it). The relaxation from high dose methocarbamol is intense and i really enjoy the tingling numbness of the tongue, face, and hands that it brings.

Methocarbamol is the carbamate of guaifenesin. I read online that guaifenesin has muscle relaxant properties on its own but could find no information on people abusing it. As it turns out, guaifenesin is an analogue of mephenesin which used to be prescribed as a tranquilizer and muscle relaxant. Guaifenesin Is 2-methoxy where mephenesin is 2-methyl. Guaifenesin is available over the counter here and a bottle of 15 pills is cheaper than you could imagine.

I decided to try it and found that 10-15 of the 400mg guaifenesin pills is pretty much indistinguishable from the same amount of methocarbamol. Same taste, same relaxation, same tingling numbness. Also same side effects. Primarily a mild nausea.

What do you think? Anyone else like methocarbamol? How about high dose guaifenesin? Anyone from a country that still prescribes mephenesin that could compare?

There is literally almost no information about using guaifenesin like this and very little about methocarbamol so i thought someone should post this. Cheers!!

They do feel similar, and neither are unpleasant. I can feel low doses of guaifenesin; I used to chew a bronkaid tablet at 6am (25mg ephedrine/ 400mg guaifenesin) and go back to sleep. The guaifenesin would hit first since its faster acting and would relax me back to sleep. About 50 minutes later the ephedrine would smoothly wake me up.

Problem is guaifenesin is hard on the kidneys. I used to take 4 bronkaid a day for a few years (1600mg/day of guaifenesin) and I think it put some strain on my kidneys.

Carisoprodol is superior though (by far) in my mind but they aren't really comparable given the vastly different effects.

Guaifenisesin is psychoactive?

That stuff just makes me nauseous...

Taking more than 600mg always produces a heavy vomit/purging in me... But I don't think I've taken it for 15+ years. I dunno. Always avoided it.

Yes I never noticed any effects from it, it used to be in a French compound formulation with codeine.

I also took mephenesin once my whole body turned to jelly, could barely walk

Guaifenisesin is psychoactive?

That stuff just makes me nauseous...

Taking more than 600mg always produces a heavy vomit/purging in me... But I don't think I've taken it for 15+ years. I dunno. Always avoided it.
High doses of it in combination with DXM sucks so bad also it changes the high considerably. I've never thrown up from pure guaifenesin or mixed with codeine.

Methocarbamol mixed with 3-meo-PCP was similar to 5th plateau dxm plus guaifenesin. I think they might both affect nmda bc i tripped harder and vomited with both.

High doses of it in combination with DXM sucks so bad also it changes the high considerably.
Yeah that's what I was referring to, but I was never able to keep it down long enough. Always puked my brains out 30 min later.

Regular doses of the stuff are fine but never thought it had muscle relaxer property? I think I've read that before but never experienced it.

Yeah that's what I was referring to, but I was never able to keep it down long enough. Always puked my brains out 30 min later.

Regular doses of the stuff are fine but never thought it had muscle relaxer property? I think I've read that before but never experienced it.
If you try i recommend about 3.6g as a dose to start. I like about that much methocarbamol too. It's a unique relaxation with strange facial numbness. It's also the easiest to get and cheapest muscle relaxer available. Good tranquilizing properties for being OTC.

If you try i recommend about 3.6g as a dose to start. I like about that much methocarbamol too. It's a unique relaxation with strange facial numbness. It's also the easiest to get and cheapest muscle relaxer available. Good tranquilizing properties for being OTC.
Hmm interesting. Pills? Syrup? Pure powder?

I would be extremely reluctant to drink syrup

Dollar tree brand guaifenesin is a 15 x 400mg pill bottle and like everything inside the store only cost $1. About the syrup, i like it in codeine syrup but it's miserable combined with dxm.

Last edited:
yeah same. I think that when I was a teenager I tried the robitussin DM (I think that is the one with guaifenesin and dxm combo?) and felt like shit, when I did it right with just pure dxm felt better.

No idea this could be abused. Anyone else want to try and test it out with @simstim?

I have taken 2 grams of methocarbamol before several times and don't notice it much unless I mix with other downers - so not sure I would enjoy this enough to make up for the potential downside.
Guaifenesin without dxm can be nice too. It's the combo that sucks.

I wouldn't notice 2g of methocarbamol much either. Both methocarbamol and guaifenesin are better for me at around 4g. Ymmv. At 4g it's pretty relaxing/ sedating and it makes your face and tongue go numb and tingly. Lol

What are the dangers of high dose guaifenesin?

I had no idea it was psychoactive either. It's interesting, but sounds like a puke & diarrhea fest waiting to happen for the unlucky few who try.

What are the dangers of high dose guaifenesin?

I had no idea it was psychoactive either. It's interesting, but sounds like a puke & diarrhea fest waiting to happen for the unlucky few who try.
I don't think the dangers have been studied. It's not widely known that high doses are a decent muscle relaxer/ sedative so people don't really abuse it. If you search Google about recreational use there is pretty much zero info. That's why i made this thread.

@btechlc and @DeathIndustrial88 i take up to 15 of the 400mg pills with no nausea now. I started with 8-10 x 400mg with very little nausea. Diarrhea has never been an issue. Also I've never puked from any dose of guaifenesin or methocarbamol unless mixed with a dissociative (or alcohol).

I don't think the dangers have been studied. It's not widely known that high doses are a decent muscle relaxer/ sedative so people don't really abuse it. If you search Google about recreational use there is pretty much zero info. That's why i made this thread.

@btechlc and @DeathIndustrial88 i take up to 15 of the 400mg pills with no nausea now. I started with 8-10 x 400mg with very little nausea. Diarrhea has never been an issue. Also I've never puked from any dose of guaifenesin or methocarbamol unless mixed with a dissociative (or alcohol).

Very interesting to hear your experience!
I remember reading that Gauf had muscle relaxing properties in the past, but I didn't think it could get to that level.

Unfortunately I have no experience with Methocarbamol, so I have no idea if I'd like it or not. And I wonder if it could possibly potentiate drugs to dangerous levels for some people (like myself who is dependent on opioids & benzos).

Dunno if I'll ever try it, but I love learning new things and hearing people's experiences!
Cheers!

I take up to 10 grams at once with my dxm, never noticed any of these effects, bit maybe I attributed it to the dxm, is that why I get terrible headaches from not taking it for 3 days? I have congestion issues, so that’s why I take it on it’s own. It never makes me nauseas no matter how much I take, I could take a whole bottle at once and be fine

back when mom & pop pharmacies would sell cheratussin guaf/codeine syrup otc, i used to consume high doses of guaifenesin. never noticed anything other than the codeine.

Very interesting to hear your experience!
I remember reading that Gauf had muscle relaxing properties in the past, but I didn't think it could get to that level.

Unfortunately I have no experience with Methocarbamol, so I have no idea if I'd like it or not. And I wonder if it could possibly potentiate drugs to dangerous levels for some people (like myself who is dependent on opioids & benzos).

Dunno if I'll ever try it, but I love learning new things and hearing people's experiences!
Cheers!

It definitely would potentiate opioids and benzos.

I am pretty sure you are way more "hardcore" than me after that insane 3 week rolling song thread you made last month (that was you that rolled for weeks right?) haha.

I might try like 2 grams tonight mixed with a small amount of benzos.

Yes that was me who rolled for weeks. Lol. I was rolling a few days a week several times even before i started the thread.

I take up to 10 grams at once with my dxm, never noticed any of these effects, bit maybe I attributed it to the dxm, is that why I get terrible headaches from not taking it for 3 days? I have congestion issues, so that’s why I take it on it’s own. It never makes me nauseas no matter how much I take, I could take a whole bottle at once and be fine
I found both methocarbamol and guaifenesin changed the nature of my hallucinations significantly with dxm and 3-meo-PCP. You might try a different brand with no guaifenesin sometime. I swear it greatly influences the high. It's almost a different experience. I use the time release brand that has no other active ingredients myself. I get the generic one and i don't think the time release works bc it doesn't last a full 12 hours. There's like 1200mg dxm in one bottle.

how often do you Robo trip? everyday?
I take 60 mg a day, but I take a lot of guafensin for congestion, I used to take 400-1000 mg a day
Did that for about 9 months
The first time I tried dxm, I took it everyday for a week at 1800 mg a day, it was great, but I had withdrawals for a bit afterwards, weed took care of them for the most part

Sever mood swings, stuff resembling delirium, anxiety, depression, and my feet were so god damned itchy, felt like I had ants crawling in my feet, i resorted to taking a hair brush to them. And ya, I worked my way up to 1000 mg, but I was getting erectile dysfunction, so I lowered my dose to 400 mg, I had cold sweats and sever nightmares where I would wake up,screaming, one time I started grabbing my girlfriend And digging my nails into her skin really hard while asleep. It’s kinda like opiate withdrawals mixed with anti depressant withdrawals
The withdrawals changed as I grew up, the itchy feet thing and all that were when I was 16, the stuff at the end with the nightmares and cold,sweats, severe anxiety and depression are recent though
Maybe the itchy ness was the beginning of nerve damage

Sever mood swings, stuff resembling delirium, anxiety, depression, and my feet were so god damned itchy, felt like I had ants crawling in my feet, i resorted to taking a hair brush to them. And ya, I worked my way up to 1000 mg, but I was getting erectile dysfunction, so I lowered my dose to 400 mg, I had cold sweats and sever nightmares where I would wake up,screaming, one time I started grabbing my girlfriend And digging my nails into her skin really hard while asleep. It’s kinda like opiate withdrawals mixed with anti depressant withdrawals
The withdrawals changed as I grew up, the itchy feet thing and all that were when I was 16, the stuff at the end with the nightmares and cold,sweats, severe anxiety and depression are recent though
Maybe the itchy ness was the beginning of nerve damage
It all went away though, I always go completely back to normal within a year, doesn’t matter how much I was using, I’ve had people tell me I must be fried from all the drugs I’ve used, idk if others would be, but I’m not. I think everyone has different levels of inherent neuroplasticity. For some people damage like that could be permanent, but others seem fine after a couple months
Though I do wonder if being prescribed Ritalin at 6 years old caused my depressIon and anxiety, but only because I was so young