• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Green Bay Packers QB Brett Favre retires after 17 seasons

I got money on Favre playing QB for the Chicago Bears or the Baltimore Ravens during next year's season.

axl blaze said:
I got money on Favre playing QB for the Chicago Bears or the Baltimore Ravens during next year's season.
Since the Packers aren't going to release Favre, I highly doubt they trade him to the Bears.

cravNbeets said:
i'd be slightly more bummed out if i actually thought that favre had played his last game. he can still compete at a very high level; his decision to retire is based on his perception that he doesnt have enough in the tank mentally. the idea of an able-bodied favre sitting sidelined just doesnt wash for me.

ahem ;)

thunderinacircle said:
Well the ol' gunslinger has hung up his cleats. A bit of a sad day for me as a Wisconsin resident and Packers' fan. I moved to Wisconsin in 1992, when Favre took over as QB. I think a lot of people took him for granted and we will now get to see just how tough it can be without a legend for quarterback. Obviously there were some tough seasons throw in after the 3-consecutive MVP's, but no one is perfect. As excited as I am up to see Aaron Rodgers play, it is a sad day for football fans. People in Wisconsin (and John Madden) take a lot of shit for how the "worship" Favre, but if anyone deserves it, it was him.

I'll miss the sound of Lambeau when his name was called, all the insane throws he made no matter if they were touchdowns or interceptions, him being out there with broken bones, him throwing the ball so hard that he broke the receiver's fingers on a regular basis, and all the funny shit he'd come up with in interviews and the such. I'll miss what an everyday, normal guy he was with all his problems out there in the open, whether it be drug addicton, alcoholism, his wife's battle with cancer, or his father's death. He definitely has broadcasting potential, though I know that is something he'd never do.

Fuck Brett Farve.

Seriously, he's just a douchebag who has a great public image and overrated skills. Every fucking year after the season ends all football fans are subjected to the question of whether Brett Farve is going to retire or not, and no one outside of Wisconsin gives a shit about Brett Farve in the first place. This season, it appeared that it was fnally, finally over as Brett Farve finally stopped bullshitting everyone and formally retired, which meant that every offseason we wouldn't have to spend all summer listening to bullshit about whether some overrated quarterback who peaked 10 years ago was coming back or not--or so we thought.

Almost as soon as his bullshit press conference ended, he started dropping subtle hints that he wanted to come back. Shut the fuck up you douche, stay fucking retired! If you absolutely feel that you have to come back, then you should have come back sooner instead of playing the bullshit media game and undermining Arron Rodgers position with the team and the fans (and if I was a Packer fan, I'd be pissed at Farve because he's only hurting your team by intensifying pressure on Rodgers, who will be blamed for every Packer fuck up in a game, whether he caused it or not).

And people wonder why the Packers are fed up with Farve's bullshit--because he does it every fucking year, and he hurts the team because they have to plan around his bullshit. If I were Farve, I would be thankful if the Packers let him back to hold a clipboard until his contract expires or they traded him--and I don't think the Packers are going to do either of those things for obvious reasons. If they were to let him back to be a backup, every time Rodgers fucks up the fans would be in an uproar for Farve, undermining support for Rodgers with the fan base and in the locker room, and if they trade him, they get maybe a mid round pick and make any team that needs a quarterback better (I didn't say he wasn't good, just that he was overrated).

As for "deserving" all of the praise he gets, that's bullshit too. There are many players in the NFL with higher character than Brett Farve. People tend to gloss over his bullshit, but this was the same guy who cheated on his wife (then girlfriend) many times, and then virtually ignored Deanna and his daughter until like 1996, when they finally moved to Wisconsin with him. If anybody should be worshiped, it's Deanna, who raised their kid by herself and worked while Farve was partying in the early years of his career. People paint the image of Brett Farve as a saint, but he was a douchebag for the longest time who didn't even seem to care about his own long time girlfriend and kid, and his actions clearly show that he still only looks out for himself.

I've never understood people from Wisconsin, but clearly they live under some delusion that Brett Farve is God and anything said against him is wrong. Seriously, someone explain the mindset of Wisconsin to me, please, because I don't understand it. Bonus points if you can figure out why John Madden gets a hard on every time he sees Farve play. Is he from Wisconsin?

Fuck Brett Farve.

I'm not from Wisconsin, but just so you know gomakemeasandwich, the people in Green Bay and Wisconsin seem to be on the Packers side for the most part.

gomakemeasandwich said:
You think so?
Since I don't live in Wisconsin, I can't say for sure, but I've seen polls that indicate that most side with the Packers. But again, I don't live there, so I don't what the actual feelings there are. Because of that, and the fact that polls aren't exactly reliable, I could be totally wrong.

you could be and are wrong. every stinking cheese head i've heard on sports radio blames the organization for forcing favre to announce his decision prematurely and wants favre to come back even though it would almost certainly mortgage the organization's future.

and if you cant trust the callers on espn radio who can you trust ;)

this thread has turned into gold overnight.

gomakemeasandwhich is making some brilliant points. hope you post around here more often mang.

All he knows how to do is play football. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he came out of retirement. Hopefully he'll come to the Panthers and teach this fag Delhomme how to toss a ball like a man.

anyone else have the feeling that favre just didn't want to go to training camp and all of the summer workouts but still wanted to play. that's why he "retired", just long enough so he wouldn't have to do all the boring parts of being an nfl'er.

smotpoker said:
anyone else have the feeling that favre just didn't want to go to training camp and all of the summer workouts but still wanted to play. that's why he "retired", just long enough so he wouldn't have to do all the boring parts of being an nfl'er.
Well, the reason he retired was because he tired of the prep and mental stuff. During his retirement speech he said still loved the playing part and said he was physically fine. Do I think he retired and intended to stay retired just long enough so he would have to miss summer workouts, though? No.

Personally, I think Favre was either talked out of retirement by someone (the Vikings) or he's acting on an impulse simply because he has an itch (which is normal for freshly retired players, but they usually don't act on them). I'm going with a bit of both, but the former being the deciding factor. Since he demanded an unconditional release, never intended to cooperate with the Packers to find a solution that would be the best for all parties involved, and had his family, friends, and agent trash the organization, it makes the most sense to me. That way he could go and play for the Packers rival without seeming like the bad guy. Problem is, he didn't cover his bases and came off as an egotistical jackass who thinks he should be treated specially simply 'cause he's Brett Favre. Apparently, though, this is how he's always been, but no one gave a damn 'cause he's good ole Brett Favre, dude who knows nothing other than football and just wants to play. Of course, he also wants to run the team, not have to practice, and have his ass kissed. When that didn't happened, he cried about how the Packers organization didn't give him what he wanted and forced him out. He bitches about how he can't trust Ted Thompson, but he's the one whose story changes every minute. And now, after the Vikings crap comes out, he decides to finally cooperate with the Packers.

Sorry for going off on a little rant, but this drama needs to stop. It's nice that this shit is finally getting resolved, but it could've been done with a few weeks ago. The Packers asked Favre a while ago to give them a list of teams who he would consider, but he didn't do it because he wanted to go the Vikings and knew the Packers wouldn't trade him to them - or that's the way it seems. He didn't need to cause all this drama. Hell, he's still hasn't asked for reinstatement. Anyway, hopefully he'll stay retired or the Packers will trade him. The Packers have given the Jets and Bucs permission to talk to Favre, so maybe something will happen in the next few days.

ill be so pissed if he comes to tampa. unless he gets us a win in the superbowl, i wont be pissed then.

ha...i live in wisconsin, an hour south of green bay...HUGE PACKERFAN...i wish he would just stay retired, but if he wants to come back, packer or not, it wont tarnish his career, (it didnt joe mantona's when he went to KC). He was rushed into making a decision (packers exec's wanted to know well before draft) and i hope he goes to tampa, as theyve always been my 2nd fav team...

but neways, back to the point......IM SO FUCKIN SICK OF HEARING ABOUT IT ON THE NEWS EVERY GODDAMNT DAY LIKE HE CONTROLS THE PRICE PER BARREL OF OIL WTFGOD!!!!

i dont have anythign against the guy, buti feel like idf hes gonna come down here, its kinda late to change everything on our offense for him. hes just gonna be out on the field with a wrist card stinking the place up.

chizzorock said:
ha...i live in wisconsin, an hour south of green bay...HUGE PACKERFAN...i wish he would just stay retired, but if he wants to come back, packer or not, it wont tarnish his career, (it didnt joe mantona's when he went to KC). He was rushed into making a decision (packers exec's wanted to know well before draft) and i hope he goes to tampa, as theyve always been my 2nd fav team...

but neways, back to the point......IM SO FUCKIN SICK OF HEARING ABOUT IT ON THE NEWS EVERY GODDAMNT DAY LIKE HE CONTROLS THE PRICE PER BARREL OF OIL WTFGOD!!!!
Just wanted to point out that the Packers actually did not force him to give a decision. They prefered him to give an answer before the draft, which is understandable because if he was going to come back then their draft would have been different some (they wouldn't have drafted Brian Brohm). The thing that's tarnishing Favre's career (not playing career, but the picture everyone had of him as a person) is his demanding things to be done his way or else, his whining that the Packers wouldn't let him play assistant GM, and him mudslinging and playing dirty. If some like TO pulled shit like this, people would be all over his back, but since it good 'ole Brett Favre, it's okay.

I do agree that I'm sick of hearing about it.

And offering Favre $20mil to stay retired was pathetic on the Packers part. I have agreed with how they've handled the Favre situation for the most part thus far, but not with the $20mil shit.

favre actually is considering taking the money too...its gets moar pathetic hour by hour

This 'type of thing' is why sport worldwide is in serious trouble... too much hype and talking shit and not enough action. Granted not much is happening in the NFL right now, but there's no need to have the bi-hourly Favre updates on ESPN all day long. The media panders to clowns like TO, Bonds, Artest and now Favre, way too much...

Right now in Australia, the Chris Paul (aka the already proven 'next big thing') of Rugby League has made like Josh Childress and signed with a French Rugby Union club for big money ... basically i can say goodbye to decent media coverage of any sport for the next 3 months as now all i hear about is this player who has jumped ship. The other day on the news (2 days after the story broke) they talked about this guy for almost 10 minutes, dedicating just 1 minute to the review of the game that his (former) teammates played that day... it's a joke.