• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Good things about being off drugs/getting sober

Being able to share my mood and experience with others, to hopefully motivate them.

Having the ability to focus on and look forward to more important things in life, rather than just drugs.

haha know whats funny, ?
when i was using, i spent so much time and energy, doing all sorts of shit , just so i could get a good nights rest,

now im clean , i been sleeping sound and awesome, almost everynight, and i dont need pills, teas, supplements, ,

and since im yapping about sleep, i love not sleeping in my clothes on a coach anymore, getting in my pajamas everynight
sleeping in my bed , with clean sheets and pillows,

- not spending all your money on drugs or your DOC all the time
- not thinking, am i getting addicted to this .. mmm
- not worrying about health consequences of drug use..

.. i do wish i could go sober/clean at least for 6 months but i have incorporated use into my life too much now. (vaporizing cannabis to help me eat, relax, sleep, sleep around 4 hours a night on average the odd 8 comes along)

I don't know where to start...

Squashing all resentments and making amends is an amazing feeling. I feel like 1000 pounds has been lifted off my shoulders.

my friends are awesome now. I trust them. I am accountable to them, as they are me.

I have money. A lot of it. And I don't even make that much.

I have stability.

I dont lose things.

Im focused.

My art is better, which reflects mental health.

I am able to help others, instead of bring people down.

People are attracted to me, instead of avoiding me.

The list goes on!

-I can afford to spend ridiculous amounts of money on tasty and healthy FOOD!
-I can concentrate on my studies better and manage my time better
-My skin is clearer, hair is shinier, and I just look good and healthy in general. I actually like looking in the mirror now!
-I still have anxiety, but it is low-level most of the time and not agonizing like it used to be
-My depressive episodes pass much more quickly, and I never get comedown depression anymore
-My capacity for motivation, inspiration, creativity, and clarity of mind is returning
-I was better able to sever toxic relationships that held me back in life, as well as set strong personal boundaries
-I feel good about myself, and feel like I am a good example in the world
-My daily energy is more consistent. I don't often crash in the middle of the day.
-I don't check myself into the ER for heart palpitations and panic attacks. I still have panic, but the heart problems are gone!
-I experience much less obsessive-compulsive behavior than before

My renewed relationship with my family has been the biggest blessing.

Beautiful, loving life partner that I share so much in common with. I can finally have a relationship that isn't primarily based on her putting up with my drug and alcohol use.

Never being hung over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never wasting time on scoring.

Of course there is the money and stuff, but that is all secondary imo.

Better hygiene habits
Wanting to eat healthy and work out
Getting a lot more compliments
Not having my friends and acquaintances hate me/worry about me
Not sleeping 12+ hours a day
Not having to wait and wait for a hook up that might not even happen
More social
Having money!!
Not missing school and also getting better grades :)
Not fighting constantly with my boyfriend when we're both high
Smiling for legit reasons

Right now I'm on day 2 without heroin, I've been on and off switching between that and subs, and reading what everyone had to say and writing out my list just gives me even more motivation to stay clean and taper off subs when I'm ready.

Great thread :)

Its so funny to think about this way now.. but the loss of fear.. probably one of the reasons I didn't want to quit was the onset of fear.. but it turned out the exact opposite.

-Being able to wake up in the morning without doing a shot
-Not having to go to the bathroom several times a day to get high
-Not having to hide injection sites
-Not going to jail constantly
-Not being dopesick
-Not being so constipated that you only shit once a week and when you do it's like shitting out a big brick..sideways
-Being able to have an orgasm
-Yawning/sneezing without starting to panic because you know the rest of the withdrawal symptoms are on the way
-Caring about my physical fitness/nutrition
-HAVING SOME FUCKING MONEY! :)

^^da troof! with some of the extra money I got, I just bought me a new zippo! hell yeah for more money! and a better sex life! and better bathroom visits!

I now need two closets in two rooms for all of my shoes and clothes

This makes me happy.

:)

for me, many things

-a lot more money
-better eating, sleeping, and lifestyle changes
-mental clarity
-no more paranoia
-better relationships with family and old friends
-getting back into old hobbies that I used to love before the drugs, and still do to this day
-a noticeable increase in maturity over many people my age

best of all, I find that I now spend no time trying to find any ways to get high all the time, and instead, use that time to devote to bettering myself, fulfilling my lifelong dreams, and getting involved in my passions and joys in life. I now feel like a normal person again, and feel like life has its meaning once again.

being a cokehead, etard, and a heavy psychedelic user for over a year, its been about 6-7 months off of everything (aside from one night where I did 2 lines of coke during SXSW really drunk). the road to this point has been filled with depression, anxiety, a feeling of emptiness and what not, but it has been more than worth it. if i didn't stop, i probably would have ended up dead within a few years or even months.

EDIT: I still drink and smoke weed occasionally, and have taken prescription meds (only when prescribed of course) during this time.

Last edited:
I decided against my morning smoke today and went to the gardens totally sober. While there, some lady had me keeping an eye on her toddlers for her. That was pretty cool.

Still felt some guilt, though. Like she would have had a heart attack if she learned about my past :/

This doesn't happen at all moments, but sometimes you get these moments when the world looks totally new, like you're seeing it with new eyes. I remember the first time I experienced this, I thought "wow, sober is the new high", because it just felt so mind expanding to see the world so differently.

And yeah, normal pooping is a treasure.

This doesn't happen at all moments, but sometimes you get these moments when the world looks totally new, like you're seeing it with new eyes. I remember the first time I experienced this, I thought "wow, sober is the new high", because it just felt so mind expanding to see the world so differently.

And yeah, normal pooping is a treasure.
Saving $ is huge, just think about how much we spend on a daily habit!

Both of these! :)