• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Good things about being off drugs/getting sober

-freedom from drugs
-an overall feeling of accomplishment & well being for kicking the habit
-not having to hide the secret from anyone anymore
-saving money
-not constantly being paranoid about someone discovering your habit

Thank you so much for starting this thread. I started a list, but I'm not going to post it yet til it's current and not just memory from that couple weeks six months ago or whatever...

Hope & gratitude.

Wow u guys make me want to keep trying

I know what it's like 10000x better

-Being able to sleep
-Waking up comfortable and able to stay in bed without having to jolt up in pain
-Making more meaningful relationships

Being more in touch with spirituality
More creative/artistic
Less mangled intelligence
Money in your wallet
Not feeling incredibly desperate every single day
Not needing to constantly go into the hood to meet with gun carrying thugs
Being able to wear short sleeves, not worrying about covering track marks
Having the chance to get a better relationship with your family
Your poo isn't the density of a neutron star, shitting more than once a month

This thread is an amazing idea, truly inspirational, and I think anyone and everyone should try to fill it up as much as possible. Positive sentiments about life such as those expressed in this thread are overwhelmed by negative/depressing & informative comments on BL (at least that's what it seems like to me), and it's great to hear what other people value about life besides drug use.

For me, what I love about extended periods where I'm not abusing drugs or alcohol is:

- Better connections with others: my abuse of amphetamine in the past put up an impassable emotional wall between myself and my girlfriend at the time, partially because she was blissfully unaware of my abuse (deception and lying come completely natural to me, I'm sad to say I'm an expert in that regard) but also because my amphetamine habit seemed to hardwire my brain only for robotic task completion and intellectual work and robbed me of my capacity to empathize with others.

- My checking account isn't constantly depleted

- I value socializing and spending time with friends even when no substance use is involved.

- I feel more pride in my accomplishments because I know they're coming from me, not a drug-fueled motivation

- I'm able to view sex as an emotional, intimate experience again instead of some depraved hunt for hedonistic pleasure

There's definitely more on my list, I'll add some when I have more time.

Peace and Love all

-Being able to sleep
-Waking up comfortable and able to stay in bed without having to jolt up in pain
-Making more meaningful relationships
you said all the ones I wanted to say :(

pros: I can maintain uni grades
I'm trustworthy
I have been in non drug using relationships
sex is better
I CAN REACH ORGASM!!!!!

Oh, and being able to use sick days at work for mental health/relaxation instead of being too strung out to be seen in public

- no guilty conscience
- better sleep routine / pattern
- clearer train of thought
- better memory
- overall healthier
- overall happier
- stability of mood and emotions
- better financial situation / possibility of saving
- happier family and true friends
- working towards goals with clarity of intention
- etc, etc, etc..

That first morning when you wake up and its over. You're not soaked in sweat, there's not a horrible feeling of impending doom if you won't hustle up some money or a ride. Then when you realize you're free, free to feel however you want to feel based on your own actions, free to do what you want without worrying about getting sorted, that you'll never stay home sick, or bail on plans because you need to score. Then realizing that you feel just as good sober as you ever did maintaining.

I love taking the time to make my coffee or cocoa exactly how I want it, that things like that are no longer robotic; being done in name only. Realizing I, me, really wants to eat something, and something in particular no less. Not because my stomach hurts from being empty for three days, but because g*darnit, This human being really wants some peanut butter mnms.

-Knowing you aren't a slave to some substance and that you're in control
-save money
-gradually feel better about life

Nice first post Hootar, welcome to Bluelight. Yep, those first few days coming out of withdrawal are the best, the relief is overwhelming. Almost daren't believe it's all over waiting for them to kick back and they just don't. :)

Best thing about being opiate free is being able to feel real emotions again, and as a consequence have real emotional connections with other people again that you care about. Worst thing heroin does is to take that away from you. It's a weird state of not-quite-being because to be human is to feel. It's about reconnecting with your own humanity. Priceless.

Being able to travel without having to manage a physical dependency to a drug. This is a huge one for me.

Thanks Sepher!

and:
. Almost daren't believe it's all over waiting for them to kick back and they just don't. :)

I relapsed atleast twice because I was so sure I'd be sick I couldn't believe that it wasnt just in the post, and that Id better take the time where I felt okay to get sorted since I was so sure it was coming eventually.

It's about reconnecting with your own humanity.
-in every way, this. Realizing you actually have opinions, and things that you want, instead of just thinking or desiring a thing based on a series of logical conclusions. The mind reels.

I quit buprenorphine two weeks ago, and though I'm not completely outta the woods yet by a long shot, I already feel like I actually have a soul again... Having opiates constantly in my system for nearly five years practically destroyed my capacity to feel any real emotion at all. Even with all the shit I've had to deal with over the past year, I don't think I've ever been happier in my life, and I can't help but feel it'll only get better from here. Quitting cold turkey was hell on earth, but it was the best decision I've ever made... I can finally start rebuilding my life.

Never have to play the waiting game ever again! Waiting to give all your money, for something that doesn't even work anymore, in fact really hasn't worked in a while, while fiending or withdrawing, for some one who said they would be there four hours ago, for the date on an empty script bottle to come, for the monthly date to see that drug dealer of a DR., all in hopes that you will be able to function, and now you feel better than that literally every second of every day..

- being comfortable in my own skin
- not acting on every thought
- changes in perspective
- being able to eat every day

Not having to think about them obsessively.

Not having to seek them out obsessively.