Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Good Shows with an Addict Main Character?

Oxy8_8

Bluelighter
I'm basically just looking for shows I described in the title.
I thought it'd be a good place to ask, with it being bluelight and all lol.

I love both Nurse Jackie and House.

In case anyone doesn't know, I'd say both shows come in the dramady category.

Nurse Jackie is about a Nurse called Jackie (lol). She's very good at what she does, get's the job done, but also doesn't play by the rules. She goes out of her way to help patients, even putting her neck on the line, and sometimes to fuck things up for them (in cases where it is really really deserved). She's an interesting, strong, likable character. She is also secretly a drug addict. She abuses vicodan, percocet, oxycontin, oxycodone, morphine sulphate and occasionally adderall.
She is addicted to opiates and has a complex web of lies to obtain prescriptions for them, steal them from work, lie about her back to get a doctor friend to give her them, and is also having an affair with the pharmacist for oxy/percocet/vicodan. Despite being married with two daughters.
At the end of the pilot, she quotes Saint Augustine saying "Make my good, God. Just, not yet".
Once you get into it, it is an EXCELLENT show.

I'm a bit behind just getting into House (or House M.D). The main character is Dr House a very intelligent doctor working in a hospital, who is openly addicted to vicodan, but walks with a cane and has a legitimate pain condition. He is also very anti-social and hates seeing his patients. Yet, you can't help liking him. He's always sarcastic and often funny. I was hooked from episode one.

I very highly recommend both shows whether you are an addict/user or not.

Does anyone know of any similar shows (not necessarily in a medical setting) where the, or one of the, main characters is an addict?

I loved "Weeds", too, although I know Nancy wasn't an addict.
I like shows where the main character has a dark secret, I guess.

I like Breaking Bad because he's secretly makes and sells crystal meth. I love Dexter. Weeds. Intervention (although that's a documentary series) < ditto My Strange Addiction.

(unrelated shows I love are: Game of Thrones, Nip/Tuck, Dead Like Me, Family Guy, American Horror Story, a lot of others).

Elementary is a wonderful show, although Holmes isn't in active addiction, he has the addict personality and there are some references to past H use

Is Jesse from Breaking Bad a supporting character or a co-lead?

Also, Dexter Morgan is a murder addict.

James McNulty from The Wire is an alcoholic.

Yeah, I know Christopher wasn't Tony but his problem with addiction in The Sopranos is so spot-on it's unbelievable. Specifically, he's addicted to H and I guess alcohol. I'd watch Season 4 and probably Season 5 of the Sopranos if you want to see a really great depiction of addiction (if you haven't already seen it).

+1 on Shameless (both UK & US)

Never heard of Shameless. Thanks for recommending it!

LOL @ McNulty. His alcoholism was timeless. Nothing like seeing a murder police get hammered and then smash his car up. Then topping it off by going to a diner, while still bleeding from the car crash, and then proceeds to fuck the waitress (not in the restaurant of course).

I'd say Don Draper and Roger Sterling from Mad Men are alcoholics. Don definitely has gone overboard with drinking a number of times. Some of my favorite scenes with him are where he's real wasted. Like the time he won the Clio award and then goes on a bender during which he gives a drunken pitch to Life Cereal.

In the third season of 24 Jack Bauer is addicted to opiates. In one of the early episodes he's about to shoot up (can't remember if it was morphine or heroin) but he throws the needle away. He takes something at some point during the day so he's not going through WDs the whole time. I'm assuming they were methadone pills, but I don't believe they ever said.

Shameless Season 1 (US, I believe), was great in my opinion. Did anyone else feel that it fell off after that? I couldn't watch more than 4 episodes from S2. It somehow lost all sense of reality, with the family doing so well all of the sudden.

Love, love, love Nurse Jackie. That's the only one that comes to mind... I thought I wasn't gon like it after she got clean but it was still good. Even better now that she "celebrated" her one year sober......................

The wire is the best show about drugs i have ever seen.

The wire is the best show about drugs i have ever seen.

It's amazing to me that Bubbles was an actor and not some guy that they found on the street. I don't think I've seen a more convincing performance from anyone anywhere. The whole time I was watching him, I felt that I'd known him personally for many years.

You should watch The Corner (a sort of prequel to The Wire).

Yeah I loved the wire and the corner. Shameless was great too. I preferred the UK series a bit, but the USA one was great too.

It's amazing to me that Bubbles was an actor and not some guy that they found on the street. I don't think I've seen a more convincing performance from anyone anywhere. The whole time I was watching him, I felt that I'd known him personally for many years.

You should watch The Corner (a sort of prequel to The Wire).

yep. yep. yep.

Top Boy - A British drama about a young boy, his mentally unstable mother, and the neighborhood drug dealer. There's only four episodes out. I think they are doing another season soon.

The Wire was a GREAT show... That was my first introduction to Idris Elba.. Mmmm now that is a good looking man. I never knew he wasn't American til I saw him in his UK series Luther.