• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Going to see a psychiatrist for my opioid addiction

TSLexi

Bluelighter
Hey all,

I'm scheduling an appointment with an addiction psychiatrist for my opioid problem, because I'd rather not OD again. I'm hoping to get a buprenorphine prescription, and also hopefully gain some insight into why I feel I need opioids to "feel right".

Does buprenorphine come in injectable form?

Most likely the doctor would prescribe tablets or films. In the U.S. the injectable form, Buprenex is meant for pain management and not for treatment of opioid addiction. I'm not sure where you live, but there are also buprenorphine patches.

I'm in the USA, and patches don't stay on my skin. And I already take a whole bunch of pills every day.

Would an addiction psychiatrist be willing to prescribe injectable buprenorphine?

Hey all,

I'm scheduling an appointment with an addiction psychiatrist tomorrow who specializes in buprenorphine treatment of opioid addicts. Since Buprenex is WAY too high of a dose for opioid addiction treatment, do you think I could convince her to write a prescription for the appropriate daily dose that would normally be taken PO, but for IV administration by myself? Plenty of people get prescribed medications that they self-inject.

This would be quite a bit more expensive than PO, since a pharmacist has to mix the medication especially for me, but my medical and prescription drug insurance will cover just about anything except homeopathy and osteopathy (thank God).

I know there's 1/week and 1/month depot buprenorphine formulations, but I really find the ritual of injecting myself comforting, and I'd really rather not lose that.

It's worth a shot to ask, no pun intended.

Definitely worth asking, but i can almost guarantee you that that question will spark a conversation between you and your psychiatrist about how youre going to need to get away from the psychological aspect of injecting drugs, as this is addictive just like the drug itself. I highly doubt that he will allow this, but its worth a shot. He might allow you to do it for a month or so, and then cut it off when you get better.

Best of luck to you!

Definitely worth asking, but i can almost guarantee you that that question will spark a conversation between you and your psychiatrist about how youre going to need to get away from the psychological aspect of injecting drugs, as this is addictive just like the drug itself. I highly doubt that he will allow this, but its worth a shot. He might allow you to do it for a month or so, and then cut it off when you get better.

Best of luck to you!

I will tell her this "I have ZERO problem with being dependent on a ritual or medication for the rest of my life to be able function properly. Millions of others are in the same boat as me. What I find to be a fulfilling and happy life is up to me, and me alone."

I will tell her this "I have ZERO problem with being dependent on a ritual or medication for the rest of my life to be able function properly. Millions of others are in the same boat as me. What I find to be a fulfilling and happy life is up to me, and me alone."

Unfortunately the Harrison Narcotics Act of 1914 means that doesn't really matter.

Unfortunately the Harrison Narcotics Act of 1914 means that doesn't really matter.

I'm not talking about opioids, I'm talking about comforting daily rituals. And as long as opioids are prescribed by a licensed provider, there's no problem.

Seriously, that comment made NO sense.

Nobody Is going to script and injectable opiate for home . They will feel responsible if you inject into and artery and lose your arm or get endocarditis and die or w.e else happens. I can't see a doctor doing that they swore and oath to do no harm I'm pretty sure this is the opposite of doing no harm since injecting bupe has no benefit over oral. I understand the needle fixation and I shot my buprenorphine for a long time but as my viens disappeared ( some of it was bad rigs / techniques) I realized sublingual or snorting them is the same. Save your viens for a real high or medical treatment you may need

I'm not talking about opioids, I'm talking about comforting daily rituals. And as long as opioids are prescribed by a licensed provider, there's no problem.

Seriously, that comment made NO sense.

And yours is some RIDICULOUS justification. It's also a piss poor understanding of the law in this country.

But you go try that. Let us know how it goes.

And yours is some RIDICULOUS justification. It's also a piss poor understanding of the law in this country.

But you go try that. Let us know how it goes.

If I'm not mistaken buprenorphine is a mainstay of opioid addiction treatment in this country and many others.

I don't have to justify myself to you.

Nobody Is going to script and injectable opiate for home . They will feel responsible if you inject into and artery and lose your arm or get endocarditis and die or w.e else happens. I can't see a doctor doing that they swore and oath to do no harm I'm pretty sure this is the opposite of doing no harm since injecting bupe has no benefit over oral. I understand the needle fixation and I shot my buprenorphine for a long time but as my viens disappeared ( some of it was bad rigs / techniques) I realized sublingual or snorting them is the same. Save your viens for a real high or medical treatment you may need

I'm a) willing to sign a waiver, b) I know how to recognize accidentally entering an artery, c) there are plenty of medicines that are prescribed all the time for self-injection, like insulin, estrogen, etc., d) I still have plenty of patent veins, because I only use the antecubital fossa on my right arm, because that's the only place I can conveniently inject, and e) buprenorphine can also be injected subcutaneously.

You only get endocarditis if you either don't sterilize the skin, reuse needles/syringes, or the solution itself isn't sterile.

Also, I don't have to convince any of you, I just have to convince her.

that's the point your not going to be able to convince a doctor of those things. You might even lose out on getting this treatment if they become convinced your going to inject the medicine no matter what . its hard enough to get scripts I really don't see this as having even a 1% chance of happening. The only person I know who received IV home drugs was a friend I had who had a year left to live and needed constant medications. They will put a permanent port in for that which your not going to get for suboxone. Most home injectables are not into viens either. and IV buprenorphine script is the literal definition of harming a patient,a doctor is not allowed to do ANYTHING to harm a patient. Do you think a doctor would give you a medication that works perfectly fine by mouth as and injection just because you like the comforts of shooting up? That's absurd in everyway

that's the point your not going to be able to convince a doctor of those things. You might even lose out on getting this treatment if they become convinced your going to inject the medicine no matter what . its hard enough to get scripts I really don't see this as having even a 1% chance of happening. The only person I know who received IV home drugs was a friend I had who had a year left to live and needed constant medications. They will put a permanent port in for that which your not going to get for suboxone. Most home injectables are not into viens either. and IV buprenorphine script is the literal definition of harming a patient,a doctor is not allowed to do ANYTHING to harm a patient. Do you think a doctor would give you a medication that works perfectly fine by mouth as and injection just because you like the comforts of shooting up? That's absurd in everyway

It can also be injected subcutaneously. Which has a slightly greater bioavailibility than sublingually.

Also...all medications, surgeries, whatever, harms a patient, because everything has adverse effects. If the benefits outweigh the harm, than it's a good treatment.

There is also an implant available, Probuphine.
(merged your two threads)

Last edited:
This is kind of a stupid argument...i firmly believe that youre not going to be able to talk a psychiatrist into getting it in injectable form, but i would still like to hear back from you as to what he/she says about it.

I highly doubt it. Estrogen, progesterone, and insulin are all IM or Subq not IV. I would be shocked if any Dr. Would be that irresponsible. They will most likely not trust you would subq and not IV

I highly doubt it. Estrogen, progesterone, and insulin are all IM or Subq not IV. I would be shocked if any Dr. Would be that irresponsible. They will most likely not trust you would subq and not IV

That's what I meant originally actually, I just never caught my mistake until now.

And it turns out that the psychiatrist requires a referral from my doctor, so I called the office and I'm waiting to see if he wants me to come in.

please let this go on i wanna see if he gets it or not. seriously though OP i hate needles and was never an iv user (scripts not h) but this aint gonna happen. just take yer suboxone or films if ya get those and be happy.

please let this go on i wanna see if he gets it or not. seriously though OP i hate needles and was never an iv user (scripts not h) but this aint gonna happen. just take yer suboxone or films if ya get those and be happy.

I'm a girl, btw.