going to jail; need advice

MemphisX3

Bluelighter
i am required to report to the penal farm in memphis by the end of the summer for a 45 day stay. i have done a 9 day stint at the county jail but this will be different.
I have asked all the people i know what to expect. Some have told me to fire (punch, throw fists) at the first person who talks shit to me, they say it will show the other prisoners that im no bitch. others have told me that if i stick to myself and dont talk back to anybody i should be fine. I have no fear of jail really. i dont fear fighting, i dont fear getting raped, i dont fear the isolation, the only thing i fear is having to defend myself from another prisoner and them tacking on more time and me getting "lost" in the system

so bluelighters, in your experience what can i expect? should i seriously go in there and fire on the first dude to look at me or talk to me wrong? should i not say a word to anyone and just cruise through or is a fight pretty much inevitable(sp?)

Mods im not sure if this thread belongs here feel free to move.

Most importantly, this sort of advice is going to vary a great deal depending on what joint you're headed to. A county lockup is different from a USP is different from a prison camp is different from a state joint, etc.

Thus, I can only provide advice from the places I've done time - the best thing you can do, much better than general advice, is find someone who has done time at that actual joint. They'll give you the inside deal, what to watch out for, where to steer clear of, etc. That's by far more valuable than anything else.

Given that, my experience is in three separate federal lockups. Two were FDC/high security settings with a big mix if inmates. The last was a prison camp, minimum security with nonviolent folks only (drug crimes and/or white collar basically). This is all federal, to be clear.

I found, without question, that the best way to do time was to be a good person. Help out others if you can, try to be kind to those who need kindness. Don't stick your nose in stuff, but if it's within your power to do something good, do it. Don't assume everyone hates you, or wants to kill you. Don't assume anyone in a different race is evil. I did a big chunk of my time hanging out in the "black" TV room with the Crips, watching BET music videos and laughing about stupid commercials. And the mexicans always invited me to their fiestas after I got to know some of them when when working in the kitchen (and helping them steal tomatoes and onions for salsa, I admit).

There's some assholes inside, just like outside. There's some really great folks inside, some smart folks and some dumb folks. Mostly, it's just like outside in that regard. There's good and bad. Look for the good folks, steer clear of the bad ones. Don't be a dick. Don't be soft and pathetic, but don't treat others like shit to try to look "tough."

I made some great friends in prison, lifetime friends. Maybe I was just lucky, but in two years I met very few truly bad people inside. Most were just trying to do their time, as best they can - whether that's a life sentence, or a weekend in the lockup for a DUI. Prison is temporary, don't get sucked up into the whole "scene" too much and keep your eyes on the door - on going home. Everything's relative, of course, but by the time I had 45 days left on my bit, I was the constant target of good-natured harassment for being a "short timer" etc. Count your blessings it's not a longer run, learn what you can from it, meet some interesting people, and remind yourself every day that this is the last time you'll be locked up, so remember how it feels. If you can, try to do some good for the guys who are stuck there for far longer than you.

Peace,

Fausty

For just 45 days.....shit, i'd just be chill.

Anyone fucks with you, ignore em.....tell to fuck off, you don't want to be messing with your release date.

I have only been to a few jails and they were all in CA. However they were all actually pretty laid back! You get to order junk food and snacks if you have money on your books. It can get BORING AS FUCK depending on how long they allow you out of your cell for yard/free time.

Just chill out, exercise, read a lot of books and go with the flow.

Some jails let you work while you are there. Some allow you take to take classes too. Makes time go by hell of fast.

As long as your not there for being a child molester or something I don't think anyone will want to mess with you. Some jails have rules where you can't interact/eat/sit with different races. So ask your cell mate whats up.

45 days is NOTHING!

I am not sure what the penal farm is like your area but if it's like "the farm" here in East Bay, CA it's really nothing at all. It's like a ghetto version of summer camp with barbed wire.

the penal farm here has short and long termers. i would be mingling with folks who have anywhere from a weekend to 30 years. and from my understanding its all mixed together, certain charges get certain color jumpsuits etc. i think im just going to stick to myself and branch out to folks who seem to want to help me out every now and then. appreciate the posts!

and thanks to you fausty! ;]

MemphisX3 said:
i am required to report to the penal farm in memphis by the end of the summer for a 45 day stay. i have done a 9 day stint at the county jail but this will be different.
I have asked all the people i know what to expect. Some have told me to fire (punch, throw fists) at the first person who talks shit to me, they say it will show the other prisoners that im no bitch. others have told me that if i stick to myself and dont talk back to anybody i should be fine. I have no fear of jail really. i dont fear fighting, i dont fear getting raped, i dont fear the isolation, the only thing i fear is having to defend myself from another prisoner and them tacking on more time and me getting "lost" in the system

so bluelighters, in your experience what can i expect? should i seriously go in there and fire on the first dude to look at me or talk to me wrong? should i not say a word to anyone and just cruise through or is a fight pretty much inevitable(sp?)

Honestly: It's county jail, bro, not prison. Everyone in county jail (for the most part) is there for petty shit, and they don't want to be there any more than you do. I had to do 30 days (first time at jail other than 2 overnight experiences) and in all honesty, it's like an adult daycare center... Don't be thinking about fighting... Just don't offend anybody, don't make yourself a target for being fucked with, and you'll be more than fine. What I found interesting in my experience at jail is that some of those guys (especially ex-prison convicts) like to make it racial.. I got into the jail, got my bedding, and immediately had some guy who was of my race come and say "what's up brother? good to have you here. Do me a favor and when we're eating, sit with the guys of your kind, just because we don't want to start any drama. Cool? Cool. Let me know if you need anything like soap or toothpaste because I've got a lot of extras." and that was that. Anyway, it sucks, but it's county jail, not a maximum security death row prison pod. You'll be fine.

MemphisX3 said:

Dude whoever says beet the shit outta the first guy you see is wrong!!! Or in a fucking movie.

Most pens arent that bad. And while its generally hard time (dont get 2 for 1 etc.) It can also be the sweetest time and beet the fuck out most county jails.

Like the one guy said just kinda be around and keep to yourself. Youll find people to relate to and talk too.

Any ways a 45 day term wont be a pen type deal anyways. Your going to pokey (county). bring a book and read it after you make population.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've spent at least twice that amount of time in jail in the past year. :)

Do not call anybody a bitch, Hoe, Punk, Fag, Homo.

Do not hangout with people outside of your own race. ( Fuck anybody who flags me for saying this. If you haven't been to jail, you don't know shit. )

Do not buy anybody anything unless they are your bros. And by bros, I'm talking about fellow gang members who would be disciplined for screwing you over.

Do not accept any drugs.

Do not stare at anybody.

Do not gamble.

When I'm in jail, I personally do not want visits or mail. They're just reminders of what is completely irrelevant to your current situation. It doesn't help you at all. Try to work out and read as much as possible.

If you're down for breaking the rules a wee bit.

15 sugar packets+1/3 glazed honey bun+6 orange slices+ 1 week in 20 oz soda bottle= Alcohol

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask

do not be the first in line, do not be the last in line.

do not accept favors or gifts, because then homeboy will come at you later with a crazy request in payment of that "favor."

do not walk in there and punch someone who is talking shit to you, unless they are obviously going to physically fuck you up.

jail is not like prison, so rape really isn't much of a problem. people are there for the short-term, and people who are homo-sexual are often disgraced.

can you play card games, like spades? I didn't get comissary, but I was wicked good at spades. I won all of everybodys' nutty bars, man.

Animal Mother said:
Do not hangout with people outside of your own race. ( Fuck anybody who flags me for saying this. If you haven't been to jail, you don't know shit. )

When I was in jail (this was county), there were no problems at all regarding race. I only had to do a 9 day sentence (DUI) but this was a real jail and I was locked up with people that were doing up to a year so I think that my experience counts. I guess it depends on the jail.

fuck yeah i just read phreex guide and it sounds JUST like what the folks here describe to me. i have some knowledge and some schemes i could throw into convo to get some friends.and oddly enough alot of people have told me that i would, not necessarily like jail, but not mind it in the 3rd or 4th week. alot tell me that i will get some good sleeping time in. Phreex post on jail made my day ;]

ValeTudo said:
By the 3rd week you will enjoy jail.

Yeah, jail's like my favorite place ever. I love being strip searched one-two times a day when coming back from an 8 hour shift in a kitchen where I don't get paid. I LOVEEEEEE IT.

ValeTudo said:
By the 3rd week you will enjoy jail.

You're joking correct? Have you ever been to jail? Three main things

-Respect to authority and other prisoners
-Keep to yourself unless you are forced to interact
-Exercise

--Don't do drugs unless you're in there for a couple of years....I had a classmate get a 45 day sentence turned into a 2 year stay becuase he kept fucking up....The first time, he was caught smoking weed rolled in a hall mark card and blowing the smoke in the toilet......

I would hate to be high in prison...

my only advise would be to read phreex's post that banquo posted, its perfect for where you're at.

county is nothing like state (never been to state but so im told) most know that they will get out soon and they dont want to risk it.
just keep your cool and dont be a dick.

dtugg said:
When I was in jail (this was county), there were no problems at all regarding race. I only had to do a 9 day sentence (DUI) but this was a real jail and I was locked up with people that were doing up to a year so I think that my experience counts. I guess it depends on the jail.

It depends on what jail you are in. I was in Tarrant County jail.
The tank that I was classified into was Parole violator, probation violator, repeat offender pod. Each cell was a 2 man cell, not the 6 man cells that they have for misdemeanors. The other half of the cells were one man cells, for gays/ racist, violent/psychotic inmates. Of course, if we had some one with a few class B misdemeanors that were going to be spending more than a month in pod, They might put them in our tank if they didn't have enough room in a normal pod.

Our tank had alot of Aryan Circle, and Aryan brother hood members in it. They did not take too kindly to those would mingled with blacks. At one point, we almost had all out riot between Whites and hispanics against the blacks. I also saw somebody get their face slashed open with a razor in County. So it's not to be taken lightly.

Last edited by a moderator: