• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Giving up bad habits easy at first, harder later!

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
okay, so I’m talking about mild addictions/habits here, like occasional smoking or masturbation which can produce strong cravings but aren’t necessarily unbearable when you’re motivated to stop. i’ve noticed that whenever I made a religious vow to temporarily stop either opportunistic smoking or masturbation, I initially feel really good. The cravings for those things which are normally constantly on my mind literally disappear, something that probably partly contributes to me feeling amazing for the first week or so. unfortunately, after a few weeks, The cravings usually return and they are made much worse by things like stress.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?

okay, so I’m talking about mild addictions/habits here, like occasional smoking or masturbation which can produce strong cravings but aren’t necessarily unbearable when you’re motivated to stop. i’ve noticed that whenever I made a religious vow to temporarily stop either opportunistic smoking or masturbation, I initially feel really good. The cravings for those things which are normally constantly on my mind literally disappear, something that probably partly contributes to me feeling amazing for the first week or so. unfortunately, after a few weeks, The cravings usually return and they are made much worse by things like stress.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?
For certain. It’s old junkie wisdom that getting clean is much easier than STAYING clean. The farther you get away from the negative feedback of the original problem the easier it is to give in to current pressure and play down what those negatives were.

For certain. It’s old junkie wisdom that getting clean is much easier than STAYING clean. The farther you get away from the negative feedback of the original problem the easier it is to give in to current pressure and play down what those negatives were.

That makes so much sense, thank you.