View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ginkgo biloba and magic mushrooms.

sean107

Bluelighter
Hey I was just wondering wether or not ginkgo biloba would potentiate magic mushrooms since it's a partial maoi.

This is by no means a full list: http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/maois/maois_info3.shtml. However, as my time as an Erowid volunteer, I can tell you that I've triaged enough (not like a crazy ass amount, but enough) trip reports, and other publications for this sentence to hold to true: MAOIs can and will dramatically increase the effects of some of these drugs to the point of becoming dangerous

Not that I got my little MAOI disclaimer out of the way, no Ginko will not affect magic mushrooms, from the MAOI effect that is. It takes massive doses of strong Ginko concentrate in order to even have an effect on MAOI's in your body. Not only that but it's only initially that Ginko would do anything, its effect on MAOI's in your body stops working (even at high doses) within only a week or two. In fact, Ginko acts much stronger Serotonin, which usually results in tryptamines losing their potency *

Now let's get to my experience :D... I've always been on large doses of Ginko in my supplements, keeps my head clear and my body feeling good. If anything, when I'm on those herbal supplements (not concentrates) my mind is more clear headed and I'm more 'grounded' during a trip. So basically it has an effect that cannot be described as potentiation. I would sum it up as keeping your mind a bit 'cleaner' or less overwhelmed during a tryptamine-substance (LSD, mushrooms, DMT) trip. I've found it's best used to prevent people from going over the edge, or having a bad trip. Sorry about the way I describe it, but it's hard to describe affects on trip easily, as you probably understand.

So, if you're trying to maximize your stash, it's probably best to just take the shrooms. You might be disappointed and find the nootropic effects of Ginko to actually be paradoxical and result in your shrooms losing their potency; or diminishing the effect you're are looking for. Like I said, it's best to stay away from MAOI's as a drug potentiator except when using ayahuasca, the results can be unpredictable. I've read stories of people mixing Syrian Rue (which contains Harmaline, a relatively strong MAOI) and LSD in order to increase the effect of their last - weak - hit and end up in the hospital or have seizures.

Stay safe my friend.
-------------------
Main Source:
*Fehske, Christian J.; Leuner, Kristina; Müller, Walter E. (2009). "Ginkgo biloba extract influences monoaminergic neurotransmission via inhibition of NE uptake, but not MAO activity after chronic treatment". Pharmacological Research 60: 68–73.

Ginkgo won't be strong enough to act as an MAOI. You need something like moclobemide.

Taking moclo with mushrooms will change the psilocybin trip into an oral DMT trip, it won't "potentiate" the psilocybin, just change the effects to DMT instead of psilocybin.

I've read stories of people mixing Syrian Rue (which contains Harmaline, a relatively strong MAOI) and LSD in order to increase the effect of their last - weak - hit and end up in the hospital or have seizures.

Are you sure about this? I didn't even think MAOIs worked with LSD. They work with mushrooms but I've never had any effect when I've mixed them with LSD.

In a preliminary unpublished study (n=1), we have observed 30 to 50% inhibition of human platelet
MAO-B at 1 and 3 hours following the ingestion of 4 Ginkgold capsules. In the same individual,
platelet MAO-B was inhibited by 29% at 1 hr after drinking the aqueous extract from 2 g of dried
Ginkgo leaves. However, these experiments indicate only that MAO inhibitory components of
Ginkgo are available to platelets, and it is not certain that the reversible inhibition observed in the
present study will translate into inhibition of MAO in brains of humans at doses of Ginkgo normally
used. A recent pharmaco-dynamic study (17) in which Ginkgold was administered to 12 human
volunteers indicated that, over an oral dose range of 40 to 240 mg of Ginkgo extract,
bioavailability in brain was sufficient to produce an electrophysiological effect similar to that of
certain other compounds that are classified as cognitive activators, antidepressants, or anxiolytics....
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8614288

Ginkgo & extracts may intensify your trip and act as a nonspecific MAOI, especially if you take them in very high doses. Be careful.

Last edited:
I've read stories of people mixing Syrian Rue (which contains Harmaline, a relatively strong MAOI) and LSD in order to increase the effect of their last - weak - hit and end up in the hospital or have seizures.

I mean, it's not common... but I've read of it happening. I'm talking big doses of Syrian Rue, and it might have been mushies or something else... Either way, I personally would not play around with MAOI's.

I dunno - I've taken enough moclobemide to stun a rampaging bull and have never felt better.

I usually take mushrooms and moclobemide as it's the only way of experiencing oral DMT without the nausea.

Well ginkgo biloba will speed up your thought process, increase spontaneous memories, and deepen mental connections and associations, as its natural effects. It also has effects on composure and mood. So yes, in that way it will potentate a psychedelic experience.

It isn't as simple as that tho prappa - when your brain is being assaulted by a ferociously overwhelming psychedelic like psilocybin are you really going to notice the ginkgo? Won't it be like trying to notice a piss in the sea? You might notice a placebo effect if you're thinking about it tho.

I've been taking Ginkgo Biloba since ~ January (that's ~8 months now), and I've tripped quite a few times since then. I haven't seen any noticeable or problematic interactions between the two. I was taking the Ginkgo primarily for circulatory enhancement. It was my reasoning that it would improve circulation not only during a trip, but also during the long period following a trip when vasoconstriction seems to persist. Since the cognitive and other benefits became apparent (or at least they seemed to unless it was placebo), I carried on taking it.

I have combined it with tryptamines as well as 2Cs, and all has been fine.

^glad it didn't have any bad interactions for you. I could see less vasoconstriction or body discomfort making a trip much, much more enjoyable.