• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Gf been sectioned under the mental health act! Help us please!!

Not been on for a while but I'm glad to see you are getting there,
thanks for your help before all this started mate

Set firm boundaries. You can't force her to change, you can only stop enabling her problematic behavior, and then enable her and work with her to continue the changes she's working on.

As hard as it is for both of you, months may be what she needs. I once did a 90-day residential program with months of after care and it was effective in a way that a couple weeks or even 28-days would NEVER have been.

Hi mate, what was different? She thinks they did nothing for her which is a real shame as I saw the work they put in to help her. :(

What did they do to help you?

I think she's going to end up losing everything before she starts to sort herself out sadly :(

oh :(

i really don't have anything to add but just wanted to know that i think you're a top bloke and i'm sorry to hear about this recent turn of events.
its never a straight road out of hell i guess..

Hi mate, what was different? She thinks they did nothing for her which is a real shame as I saw the work they put in to help her. :(

What did they do to help you?

I think she's going to end up losing everything before she starts to sort herself out sadly :(

It's hard to put into words exactly. But if I think of it less as "drug rehab" and more like "life rehab" it makes more sense. Helping to function like a normal person while at the same time doing the drug therapy. So I could get off benzos and at the same time get into a routine of living without them. Without that it would have been too much of a controlled environment and I wouldn't have gotten any confidence that I could live without them. By the time I left I'd been without benzos for so long that going back to them seemed silly, so 7 years later I've never filled another benzo script.

A similar thing happened to a friend. She was kept in hospital for several days with drug induced psychosis but they didn't section her. I think her partner, feeling powerless to help, probably suffered as much as her. A very worrying time.

I hope things sort themselves out for you <3

I think you need to keep this in perspective and remember this is still early days in her recovery. It unfortunately won't be pleasant for you, but it isn't really too surprising that she is having a bit of a freak out at this stage of getting off the meds. Also, if insomnia has caused her such serious unpleasantness in the past, it's little wonder that she is having serious concerns over trying to adopt a drug free sleep pattern now.

You've been doing a great job of giving support so far, try not to take this too personally as I'm sure she will appreciate everything you've done once the initial shock of the situation has more time to settle.

Me and my OH suffer insomnia, his is very bad, he takes something to sleep every night. Even then sometimes he's awake all night and can't function properly at work next day.

I would highly recommend downloading some speaking podcasts and getting a pillow speaker from ebay for a few quid. it gives your mind something to focus on and stops the constant chattering thoughts. I always have mine on. If you're interested I can recommend some good podcasts, the ones that send me to sleep.

Also, don't look at any screens (computer, phone etc) for a few hours before bed and certainly not during the night. The blue light fools your brain into thinking it's daytime and you don't get the natural production of melatonin. I've got a cheap pair of blue-blocking glasses with yellow lenses which I use at night. The newer iPads have a night setting that turns the screen yellow between certain times. I now have a real fear of letting blue light into my eyes at night so I use the night setting, turn the brightness down AND wear the glasses. In fact, it's just turned yellow as I'm typing this!

I would highly recommend downloading some speaking podcasts and getting a pillow speaker from ebay for a few quid. it gives your mind something to focus on and stops the constant chattering thoughts. I always have mine on. If you're interested I can recommend some good podcasts, the ones that send me to sleep.

i also do this - for some reason nothing gets me off to sleep quicker than the sound of a bath tub filling (proper nutter i know).
there's just something about that splashy white-noise that KOs me in minutes.
i use special two hour long youtube vids and play it thought my kindle - if you type in ASMR (auto sensory meridian response) there's a whole plethora of different snooze-inducing vids; from rainfall on a tent, hoovers running 24 hours straight, even to a soft-spoken indian man reviewing products in a soporific tempo (i love his clicks).

hope its getting better mate

My favourite way to drift off is lying in bed with the window open whilst its lashing and real windy outside.

"Chrysalism
: The amniotic tranquility of being indoors during a thunderstorm."

literally one of my favourite things in the entire world, althought recently i've been finding filling the bath and practicing TM Meditation wrapped up in a towel similarly hypnagogic.
glad to know i'm not (quite) alone in my madness :)

I totally agree that having some background noise works wonders for getting off to sleep. I generally put on either cosmology lectures or conspiracy radio shows and they work a treat for me. The specifics will depend on the individual but something that either holds enough attention to keep racing thoughts to a minimum - or something that soothes without focus - can really help with sleep. Well worth a try imo.

...conspiracy radio shows and they work a treat for me.

This works for me too. Here are some of the best I've found.

Serial (Seasons 1 and 2)
Untold : The Daniel Morgan Murder
Criminal
The Untold
Casefile True Crime
David Baddeil Tries To Understand
Jeremy Vine's Being Human
Marsha Meets

Some have annoying jingles and ads though.

The good thing about a pillow speaker is that once you're asleep and you move you don't hear it.

Clattered - inbox is now only partially filled :)

Thanks everyone for all your ideas and your love and wishes. It means a lot more than you could realise.

I haven't been looking after myself as I've been worrying constantly, just eaten shite leaves me feeling crap. But I'm sitting in the heliport in Aberdeen now and I can sort myself out whilst I'm away. I'm more tired now than when I came back last trip haha

She has started back at work and did a half day yesterday, I saw her for a couple of hours before I had to leave for work, we had a nice Italian. She was 'her' again, the first time in months. She is starting to see how bad things had got, everyone at her work said she looks well and that she's back to being her, I think that was a real boost for her and she now has some peace to settle back into the gym and working (slowly)

I'll get her a pillow speaker as she says her mind can't switch off at night and she has thoughts racing, the idea of having something in the background to help makes perfect sense. I haven't thought of it before but it helps me if the tv is on, or as someone else has said, rain on the window!

Thanks so much everyone x