• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Getting off fentadope with methadone, advice needed please.

Jmoneymillz740

Greenlighter
Hey everyone, hope y’all had a good thanksgiving!!

So I’ll get right to it. I’ve been abusing opiates for 6-7 years, with stretches of clean time In Between. The last two years or so being IV heroin/fentanyl when I am using. I felt like this last stretch of 5-6 months clean was going to be the last time but I relapsed again. Ive been using iv fentadope (presumably all fent) for 3-4 months or so, getting up to and sometimes over a gram a day. After many failed attempts at getting on suboxone to soften the withdrawal ending in PW no matter how long I waited, I just went to a methadone clinic yesterday. I know I should’ve asked the dr this but I was rattling pretty hard and just wanted to get dosed. I would greatly appreciate some input on a few things.

1: Is it possible to dose for a few days at 30mg and then come off without being terribly sick?
2: What is the best path to being completely opiate free?
3: Is it possible to taper off of methadone painlessly? Or with little discomfort?

I would really just like to hear some of your experiences and any advice pertaining to how to get off of everything as quick as possible is greatly appreciated. Cold turkey is not an option for me at this point because of my job.
Thanks for reading yall.

Yeah dude. You will probably need more than just a few days. Takes a few days to build up, but 30mg will hold you to the level you are at least functional. You are going to have to learn to deal with some sickness if you have hope at being clean.

Give it a week or so, then start to come down. 5mg a week or so.

It can be done, and will be pretty painless in the grand picture. There is always going to be some pain. You will not be puking, or having crazy RLS this way.

Once you are on the methadone for say 6+ months, it will change and start to get harder. 2-3 years harder. Right now you have the best chance to get clean. And methadone is good since you will certainly be able to function and get used to accepting withdrawal. Even though I will say after a week or two (not using, not drinking, if you have a benzo habit there is added shit now) you will be feeling just fine with probably no sickness.

The question is are you using? If you have even 1 thought you want to keep using, forget it. You seem like you want to be clean and why I replied. You don't need to use ever again now that taking methadone. Need to let the dope come out of you. Eating right, vitamins, exercise, all that stuff starting yesterday.

Cut down on the cigarettes too if you smoke since pushes the dose out of you faster. You will feel loads better too.

Only problem is the clinics give bullshit now when you want to taper right away. They are going to want to push you up to 80mg. Talk to them and see what they will allow. In the meantime eyeballing it can work.

It also depends on where you are. If you are working and have to be well. I would go longer methadone, slower taper. If you can afford to be sick, then you can certainly take it even for a week and will be better than kicking iv fent dope. I never iv the latest fent dope. But sniffing gram+ of raw that I chop down into 7-9 grams daily. The withdrawal were not cool. Never felt withdrawals like that. Impossible to work, even with 2-3 days clean. And I believe too many hard withdrawals like that start to damage you. Totally done with the dope myself. Where methadone comes in. You can get your strength back, then take on a 100x easier withdrawal. Perhaps a bit longer, but who knows. You are really kicking your whole habit.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The thing people forget methadone is that for it to be 100% effective you need to have taken it for a few days in a row so it's always flowing in your blood/brain

The truth is you should probably stay on the methadone for a while and at higher doses (like 80-100mg a day).

If you don't you have a good chance of relapsing into IV fentanyl use, which carries a high risk of death. This shit isn't worth dying over.

You probably need to be on a good dose of methadone for a while to get stabilized. Then you can slowly taper off. I got off of 380mg/day of methadone which seems impossible to most people.

There is no painless way to get off of methadone but it can be relatively forgiving if you do it slowly. Lifting weights as I was tapering off helped me immensely.

God damn 380 bro? Props to getting off. He's right; working out will release natural endorphins, and it also facilitates the production of new brain cells. Original poster, This is what I'll tell you:
Dopesick is no joke
But methadone sick is a whole nother animal... U can get through dopesickness after a week or two, tough tho it may be. But try not having your methadone dose after 2 weeks, you're still in withdrawal. 4 weeks, still in withdrawal. I've had friends rapid detoxed from around 100mg and they have all told me they still didn't feel right after months off methadone.

My advice to you: see how 30 suffices for you; if you need to go up, don't go over 50-60mg, you'll thank me later. You have to understand, if you get on methadone, the reason is 2 fold. Yes your getting through the dope withdrawal, but your also using it so you don't go out and use again a few weeks later after feeling ok again (trust me bud we've all been there with relapsing). It sounds like to me, if u went in and dosed for say a week then stopped showing up and tried to go cold turkey from there, ur still gonna go through withdrawal. My advice is to get on it, and after 3-5 weeks, start weaning down slowly. This will give u time to 1)focus on your life and any other changes you want to make that you wouldn't have on dope and 2) start to give you a feel for a life without dope/opiates. If youre really trying to minimize your time on done, stay at 30 and leave after a week. But I'm tellin ya bro, if your like me, withdrawals are only part of the problem. It sounds like you need some sober time under ur belt so u can get used to not using anymore. And trust me I know how hard it could be, I relapsed last year for a few months after 11 years sober. And honestly as much as it sucks, I am just thankful I got back off it again. We all have another relapse in us, but do we have another chance at sobriety? That's not guaranteed(lol 0lease don't think I'm in a program or something, but it's true for those of us who don't want to keep poisoning ourselves). My relapse came after 1.5 years of tapering from 150mg, and once we got below 50 I started having withdrawals but I wouldn't stop the taper. I got into a car accident and broke my guitar playing wrist and was perscribed hydros... A week later im smoking fent and before I know it I'm shooting dope again. Addictions come back with a vengenace. My point tho is: DONT TAPER TOO FAST. If ur dose isn't holding you during a taper, tell the nurse to stop ur taper and get the doc to go up a few mg. Trust me I know it sucks to go through methadone treatment and tapering, but bro if ur really trying to get off dope, it's better to do it right the first time. Ultimately it wont take as long as goin back and getting back on done to start all over.
Now if ur JUST trying to get through the dopesickness, I wouldn't take done for more than 5-7 days and STAY at 30mg.

If you ever need to talk, you're welcome to pm me. I still have cravings all the time bro. Being on dope is the happiest I've ever been, but the price my body and brain pay is the most depressed I've ever been. THAT is what keeps me from doing dope anymore.
Good luck to you. Hang in there bro.