• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Geographicaly different dancing styles

candyflip: As long as you're moving and enjoying yourself then you're a good dancer in my book
smile.gif

Sassy: I really didn't know what the Melbourne shuffle was either, but when one of my friend's told me I realised it's what I'd been doing for ages.
It's hard to describe... The feet do the shuffling, where the dancer shuffles one or both feet from side to side, with their weight more on the balls of their toes, but still flat on the ground (imagine dropping a cigarette butt then squishing it to put it out, that side to side movement is where the shuffle gets it's name) Of course there's a hell of a lot more movement going on in both the arms and the legs (watch out for those spins!) If you're in Melbourne and you've been to a rave then you've seen someone doing the "Melbourne shuffle" it is pretty much the same as crazy legs
smile.gif

Everyone's version of it is different tho, so there's prolly hundreds of names we could come up with
smile.gif

I'm guilty as charged when it comes to the Melbourne shuffle, I think most melbourne people are.
One question I would like to ask is this. Has anyone here lived in one city and partied there for a while, moved to another city and partied there, then gone back to there original city and partied there, then asked why you've changed the way you've dance.
This happened to me without even realising it. Lived in Canberra, danced like most Canberrans, then I moved down to lovely Melbourne, and danced down here, the way I thought I had always been dancing. Then went back to Canberra and several of my friends came up to me and asked why I had changed the way I dance. I had somehow just picked up the way Melbourne people dance and started to dance like that without even realising it, something subconscious I guess.
Has this happened to anyone else?
------------------
sniff it like an amylmal
[This message has been edited by Magoo (edited 20 June 2000).]

HEY!!! why hasn't anyone spoken up from perth???? we dance too alrite?!?!? =)
Ermmm...well my first ever rave was in melbourne and it was a TOTAL SHOCK to me. the idea of using talc is GREAT ( tho' i would like to see what clubs like globe would like to say about that. )
Our alternative?? WATER..OK...yes i agree, that is sometime selfish in a certain manner. I dun pour water but i tend to be drawn to wet patchs! *LOL*
But seeing the melbourne shuffle as they call it and having frens in melb has influenced my style somewhat.
TRUST me...my "normal" frens (no disrespect meant!!) think that i am weird and am a source of jokes at times....Well.WHO CARES?!??!
Perth style?? well..i can't really describe it..mebbe someone can!!!!
P.S. I saw this guy at Renassiance (march 2000) at ard closing time in the plastik room...he LOOKED GREAT!!!! his arms were outstreched somehow and his feet was doing something that i cannot describe as i was too off my face BUT IT LOOKS GREAT!!! =)
P.P.S wat's big box little box again???

Just my 0.02
I have not been to any raves outside of Melbourne, so I can't pass judgement on any other styles, but the main point I've picked up being 6'8" and a fan of the crazy legs, is I NEED SPACE!!! (Most noticable at a recent PVD set, ya know what I mean?)
Melbourne people epitomise the phrase "Dance like no-ones watching"
Peace
smile.gif

Raider

something myself and friends laff about a bit is the way the kids in Perth's supaclub dance
Its kinda like a boxer moving their head out the way of punches and shuffling their feet and shoulders
some even look like they're doing little jab punches too
smile.gif

I tend to dance in a bit of a unique style, a bit of robotnik, a bit of twisty box, including some extremely modified running man style, incorprating kicks, twisting etc....bah all you perthites+mona will see it at solfuric....
Anyway, depends on which clubs/parties you go to in perth. Some of the groovier dancers are in the D&B scene. Most perople in Perth aren't overly good. Mostly stepping and waving their arms about a bit.
DB

The more i read, the more i want to meet everyone
smile.gif

An exodus of bl'ers into the bus for a three day doof sound like the plan
wink.gif

You should just do your own thing on the floor, there will always be at least one person watching, might as well make a big a dick as possible out of yourself.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs, and insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Sounds good to me!
Everyone jump on a bus and head on down to Melbourne for a few days!
smile.gif

Dancing lessons will be free of charge for one weekend
wink.gif

Well for me I think its a good thing that I am usually too fucked up to know or care how i dance :p

HEY!!! It's funny you mentioned this topic because I was in Melbourne for Tekstep 8 (maaaaad), and being from Perth I noticed that you Victorians rave differently to us Perthians. I think our style is much more energetic, coz we were ripping up the dance floor at Billboards that night.

hey hey
smile.gif

I think brissie has a slight advantage over you sydney siders n melbournites in that i don't think our raves are quite as big as yours, hence we get more room. This can only be an advantageous thing, and I reckon we Brisbaners dish out a fairly mean "leaping twisting and turning" style of dance. Apparently Bris is a lot more into Hardcore (not meaning to say you others don't - no flames here please
smile.gif
) and so I think this has a fair bit to do with the dance style as well.
One thing I noticed at the last rave i was at, i spent around 45 minutes, along with about 30 other people, chilling in a room watching these 3 guys trying to out-breakdance each other to some wicked jungle that was playing. Was really excellent - cheers and clapping from an appreciative crowd
smile.gif

Thanks very much
H-C.

break dancing at a rave?> ahem fark we are becoming americanised
please melbournites dont let this happen in our scene, doof music is to be doofed to, break dancing is for hip hop, breaks and shit
i consider my dancing style to be doofing
i usually start out light stepps, but once the bangin minimal get's started i go into a very heavy stomp yet im light as a feather as i bounce around,

Nah no need to worry about breakdancing becoming too popular, I don't mind it personally, but I really can't see it getting a big following at raves, even if there was enough room for it...
But if someone wants to breakdance at a rave I don't think we should stop them. Each to his own. And besides, I think those guys who know what they're doing go off! Just as long as they don't take up too much of my precious "shuffling" space
wink.gif

yeah true tarsalan
it's just break dancing makes me think of eighties hip hop mc's and graffing and shit, along with underage clubbers of today(yes i used to be one)
i dun think we'll be seeing it in melb simply coz of the space factor

Vurt, you mean the Gabba Run?
Just been thinking about it and because of the hardcore and happyhard in our scene up here Sydney people seem to kind of run/bounce in the one place majority of the time, its legs back and forth in a jump type thing, but people do use their upper bodies a lot aswell. This is at raves anyway, at a more housier event I hasve noticed that its more jerky movements, more stomping on the spot type thing.
And the gabba run, leaning your upper body back and just kind of running on the spot in time to the beats bringing your knees up to you ears. Thats not even that common in sydney, only seen a few ravers do it and when it is done it usually gets a group of people standing around unable to understand how someone can dance like that, but... its the only way to keep up with the bests.
jaX*
[This message has been edited by BliSSS (edited 23 June 2000).]

I am going to be really self conscious about how I dance now... Well maybe not depending on what I've ingested earlier during the night. Entropope- you've seen me dance... am I scarey?
smile.gif
Do I dance like a Perth person?
smile.gif

i would love to be able to breakdance.
i've seen it on tv - it looks impossible to do.
------------------
"If you're not confused.. you don't understand everything. Silence is deafening." S.A. :) ;) :D

In the perth underage events most people have the most common style i can think of is this skipping on the spot thingo.
kick one foot forward with your heel on the floor, then bring it back and throw the other one out in the same way,,,,,good for dnb which is very popular
Thats the base of most peoples styles, but theres still alot of individuality in everyones styles.
I've seen a few people here that absolutely go off. Back of the rave at about 12:30ish when theres heaps of space, taking a good 10x10 spot and absolutely owning the dance floor.
I'm positive i look like an absolute twat when i dance
smile.gif
but i just move to the music however i feel like at the time and get into it as much as possible. It's funny when I realise I've been doing something *really* weird for the last 30 seconds, always makes me stop for a second and laugh
smile.gif

Well I definately want to see some of these other dancing styles now. I've been told that I'm a pretty good dancer, but I'm not too sure (starting to believe it tho
wink.gif
), so you should all come out and judge for yourself! Be warned tho, criticism might lead to a few "accidental" elbow thrusts...