• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Gender Differences in Drug Use

Also, I think women tend to be slightly less intelligent than men (it pains me to say this but I have found it to be true)
It pains me that you feel this way.

I must disagree on a very personal level...
I prefer my substances in the following order:
Stims
Psychadelics
Downers
However, I will agree in general.

Butterfly -- It could be that women simply aren't as encouraged to show off their intelligence and be confident about it. I am more than willing to accept that as a possible explanation. Also, I'm just giving you my experience...I'm not trying to knock women at all (being one myself)...it's just something I have observed, whether rightly or no.

Cool thread, i am tending to say over-arching gender trends in drug use seem to be on face level as many people have said, generalisations. The drugs you are drawn to depends on many factors of which gender is a minor facet. Innate chemistry, experience, personality, connections, absence or presence of exsisting psychosis are prolly far more important in determining which drug is drawn to you or vice-versa. I think gender would prolly be much more important in things such as how people view their drug use. Very interesting to read ppls posts tho.
For me
Psychedelics
Downers
stimulants

It could be that women simply aren't as encouraged to show off their intelligence and be confident about it. I am more than willing to accept that as a possible explanation. Also, I'm just giving you my experience...I'm not trying to knock women at all (being one myself)...it's just something I have observed, whether rightly or no.
Fairnymph - the fact that you're a woman doesn't get you off the hook. Women who think women are inferior to men are as complicit in thier own oppression as men who continue to propogate such ideas.
You qualify your statement by saying it could be that women simply aren't as encouraged to show off their intelligence and be confident about it. I would agree with this, but that's completely different than women actually being less intelligent than men.
However, you say that in your own experience that women seem less intelligent to you than men. Perhaps what you mean is that they come across to you as less intelligent than men, not that are less intelligent. In this case, it would be an issue of learned behaviour (possibly related your point that women are not encouraged to show off thier intelligence as much) not innate difference.
This having been said, I am curious as to what capacity you have experienced women as less intelligent than men? Is this in conversations with people, in an academic environment, in the workplace? As someone who is considered "intelligent" by academic standards, I feel that some of my male friends(particluarly those who think they're oh so intellectual) do not respect me as an intellectual equal even though I've kicked thier asses in marks all the way through school with less effort and more drugs. As a result I seldom bother having intellectual conversations with them anymore because they're more interested in hearing themselves talk than what I have to say and it's just frustrating. If you met me in this context maybe you would think I was less intelligent too. But if you read anything I've written, I doubt you would still have that opinion.

I'm going to have to defend Fairnymph here a little. She and I both go to what could conceivably be considered the best school in the nation (certainly on the west coast), and yet the girls here can still be fucking idiots in a lot of ways. I happen to live in a house with 38 other girls (NOT a sorority house) and I see so much stereotypical "female" behavior that it almost makes me vomit. As the computer consultant for my house, I get all the dumb questions, which make me bristle. I see girls not respecting their computers, treating them like shit, not knowing where/what their hard drive is, etc. Now maybe there are guys who have this level of idiocy, but I have yet to meet more than a few. Granted, computer intelligence != overall intelligence, but still. You'd think that these girls would be able to figure out a few things for themselves.
That said, I think it's less in vogue for women to *show* their knowledge, which really distresses me. I also see girls in my house that are able to carry on intelligent conversation about the literature they're reading in the class they're taking, who turn around and bat their eyes and assume a vacant expression when their boyfriend or crush is nearby.
Out of the top ten graduates in my high school, two of them were male. But, several of these girls (i can think of at least 3) were the BIGGEST idiots conceivable when it came to anything non-academic, and dated really dumb, hot guys, and acted less smart than their boyfriends on a regular basis.
I think the bottom line is that women think they will be more "attractive" if they act stupid. Obviously none of the girls in my house (save *perhaps* a few scholarship athletes) are complete morons, since they got into this school. It pisses me off. Find someone who's attracted to your brains *and* your beauty. He exists, trust me.

Butterfly --
I'm sorry that I didn't make that distinction -- between 'seeming' and actually 'being' less intelligent -- but, sometimes it's hard to tell the two apart, thus my earlier comments.
I suppose when I say 'intelligence', I am referring mostly to academic/intellectual intelligence.
YOU definitely strike me as intelligent (I'm not going throw you in the 'stupid women bucket' ;) ), but in general I've found it alot easier to have 'intellectual conversations' (as you refer to) with men than with women. I've also found that while plenty of women tend to be good in school, they aren't thinking much outside of school about intellectual topics.
I'm not trying to opress women...I am all for bringing up women in more intellectual ways, but AT PRESENT I have found that men tend to be more intelligent, or at least that is how they seem to me.

fairnymph said:
I've also noticed that more men tend to prefer weed (and are more likely to be potheads) as well as opiates. There are certainly women who like these drugs, but for whatever reasons it just seems like men are way more into them than women.

i've noticed the same trend. i have a habit of saying "weed is for boys". of course i know some female potheads, but it certainly doesn't seem to be the norm. maybe it has something to do with video games, another pasttime that seems dominated by males. i know so many guys that are perfectly happy getting stoned out of their gourds and playing video games for hours on end. i'm acquainted with very few girls who are so easily entertained.

all the girl drug takers i know would choose coke over any drug offered to them, but for some reason wouldn't touch speed :S. Most smoke weed, but besides a couple they would only smoke when offered and wouldn't think about buying it and having a smoke on their own.

About the intelligence thing, i wouldn't say females are less intelligent, they just seem (big generalisation here) to be into less intelligant things like hair, makeup, clothes celebrities. Not so much true for my drug taking female friends but the rest of them.

Wow..this is a good thread.

I'm going to have to be the oddball here!! In my area, or my circle I should say it is very much the opposite, although I know this is definatley the minority here. My female counterparts prefer downers or opiates, and most males that I chill with prefer speed/coke or whatever stims. And I notice no difference whatsoever in who actually smokes more pot!;)
Hence the reason everyone refers to it as "boy" or "girl".."boy" meaning coke, and "girl" being dope! Hmm, go figure!!

Me, I'm female and I absolutely prefer opiates and downers to any sort of speed...every once in a while I may indulge in some coke, but for the most part it's usually dope, or any type of downers.

Strawberry_lovemuffin said:
That has been my experience too, fairnymph.
All the long-time marijuana smokers I know are men. The few friends I've known who had heroin addictions (including my cousin, who died), were men.
And personally, I'd take E or Coke anyday over any kind of opiate, K or weed; likewise my girlfriends. I love speed too, but it doesn't love me, so I can't, but I certainly know plenty of girls who do.
I know for myself, I take drugs for social reasons, and to be more energetic - not to block out pain, look inside myself or escape reality. Perhaps this is a deciding factor.
Do users of downers have more of a need to obscure, rather than enhance their reality? And does this need apply to men more? I wonder. Just a thought.
Hard to have a discussion like this without wildly generalising, isn't it? I apologise :)

intelligent post, I generally agree (of course there are some exceptions, but generally you are definitly right)

when I am taking opiates it is usually alone, and I perfer to take them alone and sorta veg out. It makes laying outside in my hammock reading a book, or just feeling the wind blow over me a wonderful time. Same goes with weed. At college I used to smoke up socially with a lot of people before. But it wasnt long until it started sucking ass, because there would be all these stoned people watching tv, or a movie, eating food, and generally being really quiet. It was like it killed their social skills. It was fucked up when I realized how much time I spent with them and I hardly knew them. For me, its better to take weed and opiates by yourself, just sit back and enjoy the lack of anything important to do. Or possibly with one person for a personal talk.

drugs like coke, meth, E, etc are drugs I take when I am out with other people and really feeling the moment, getting wild, etc

personally, i'm a girl and i VERY MUCH prefer downers... opiates, particularly. but i dont know any other girls who do opiates. not a single one. every girl i know , excluding myself, prefers stimulants. i dont understand the appeal of stimulants at all. all of the other dopeheads i know are guys.
also, IMO guys and girls are not more or less intelligent than each other, they just look at things in different ways.

Love,
-H

ibizakat said:
(...). Granted, computer intelligence != overall intelligence, but still. You'd think that these girls would be able to figure out a few things for themselves.

Technology is men stuff. On the other hand, I can hardly understand emotional views and behaviors of women. I often find them idiotic, but this might very well be a projection of MY idiocy.

I think the bottom line is that women think they will be more "attractive" if they act stupid. Obviously none of the girls in my house (save *perhaps* a few scholarship athletes) are complete morons, since they got into this school. It pisses me off. Find someone who's attracted to your brains *and* your beauty. He exists, trust me.

So true. Most girls that date lots of guys think that they should act dumb to be attractive. This may be due to the fact that most guys are too stupid to grasp the completely different approach to emotions that women have. Never the less, I detest the poor, lost woman stereotype.

Still, my theories are probably not worth much as I'm high on speed ;) (contrary to the opinion that guys like downers)

Hmmp... nice thread.

Im a girll but I cant count my self inside this thread's statement, I prefer weed over anything. I think its the best drug and i dont see myself stop smoking in the near future. i do see myself quitting taking psychedelics at one point, but meanwhile i enjoy both stuff. speed and extasy dont attract me anymore, though i did have a period in which i felt really excited about taking mdma. this period has passed and gone. However, when i think about girls i know, most girls i know do prefer taking extasy or stuff like ghb, cuz it makes them dizzy and feel great in their bodies, while most boys i know are much more into psychedelic drugs and opiates..

I always enjoyed hanging out more with guyz than with girls, its because my subjects of interest dont relay to alot of girls i know. like internet and music. most girls i know dont interest in music like myself, they dont spend half of a working day on downloading new stuff and getting to know more and more tracks. they just listen to stuff they like. also i know less girls who smoke weed same oftenly as myself, than ofcourse guyz. (dont want to make any generalization, so im just typing the things which are correct to me and my friends. )

There is a big difference between the way guyz see psychedelics than girls. again, by people that i run into, most guyz i know are interested in the drug, read info about it before they take it and try to learn from it, whreas most girls i know do it for fun. again, im on the guyz side cuz i also read about every new drug i havent tryed and looking forward to try before i try it and i also see these experiences as a self resarch and stuff that teach me alot about the nature and about myself.

Men, Women, Speed, and Downers

First off, in general it appears that more women do prefer speed, at least the white and Mexican ladies I've met. While working at this one place that hired more coworkers than not on parole from prison, (every single one of them directly or indirectly to do with drugs) a couple of my black coworker ladies that had been busted for dealing said that black women tend to prefer crack over speed whereas with whites and hispanics it's the other way around.

They had all come from the ghetto and didn't have easy lives. I could see why they would seek refuge in crack. No matter if it was the white males or females doing too much speed or black men and women doing too much crack, it all added up to the same damn thing. They became irratic, irritable, angry, want to crash, very hyper, or very happy. Whichever happened to be the mood of the minute or day, usually it was extreme.

In general since men have been brought up to be more aggressive, take more responsibility, be dominant, show no weakness, bla bla bla, often times may find refudge in the arms of some type of mellow chemical either for recreation and a few one day maybe a habit. Women again in general are taught to down play confidence more, be a bit more low key, and in American culture, almost nothing is viewed more unnappealing than fat or overweight women.

If the woman is in a relationship or at least has some sort of sex life, again in low doses, speed can be theraputic. A bit of a buzz on a low dose sheds inhibitions, allows one to exert more physical energy, helps dismiss unreasonable inhibitions one may have while sober. I have found that men that enjoy speed often times like it for the same reasons. That and to study or work long hours in the night.

One thing I didn't find out about though until I posted my website 2 years ago on line was that an alarming amount of males, the majority of them gay, were the ones that are and continue to become members of the club. I thought, "Where are all the women?" While there are some women and straight men, this website opened a door into a whole new culture I knew nothing about. Looking back over the years, (I never thought about it until now) about 80% of my connects or runners were gay men.

The reason? Because speed is seen as an incredible fuck drug and men have lots and lots of establishments to meet for maybe a partner, but usually anonymous sex and with quite a variety. Over the two years what I've learned from these men on my web site is that there are mainly 3 catagories of users present. Those with habits and have what they call "Tina dick" or limp noodle. These are the guys that carry on a job, go on about their business, support their habits, and socialize using speed with other like gents.

There's the second type, which (again being very general) are the club hoppers or what not. Like their sister female meth heads, they can be irratic, fun, too fucked up, or too funny. Low dosers of both sexes enjoy speed as an enhancement of their lives while others, well....you know the rest.

As for myself, well meth has been my #1 DOC. I'm naturally a very laid back type of person sober, in fact sometimes I wish a little less so. Nevertheless, I guess that's a reason why I prefer ups to down. That and the fact that ever since I can remember I've always gotten off big time from the big rush felt on motorcycles, sports cars, roller coasters, ect.

This is not to say that I haven't enjoyed mellow highs. Up until 9 years ago, I smoked pot and that had been the one drug I almost always had on hand, but it never got to be a habit. Like the guys in here I'd go hang out, sit around, shoot the breeze just kickin it. Met alot of cool people that way. For some reason, the way I reacted to it changed as I got older and I could no longer enjoy it, so I quit.

While I did and do enjoy the buzz fiorinal #3's give me which are for severe migraines, I've taken them to escape pain both physical and emotional whereas speed is taken merely to experience the extreme pleasure of the rush and the high, but not to escape pain.