• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

🧑‍🌾 Gardening 🧑‍🌾 Gardening in General

Gardening
This. :)
So I will do as suggested.
Thank you so much; the wife will be pleased next year. :cheers:

Ah that's annoying, sorry you got so few mate. Fruiting plants can be a bit picky like that, especially if the ground is comparatively rich in nitrogen but poor in P or K or some of the other nutrients. They'll happily grow and throw out leaves like crazy, but barely any fruit will mature and/or lots of fruit will fail or 'rot' in situ. Sometimes that also happens due to lack of pollination, but that's less common ime.

I helped run a huge garden centre for a few years back when I started working and gave been growing stuff ever since. A pretty decent Jade collection at the moment. Lucky I have an excellent yard in the rental I am currently in.

I like propagation and would love to set up some serious shade houses one day. Ive got proper trade horticulture qualifications and am doing a biology degree currently.

My mum loves this mustard brassica and I've managed to find seed for 4 different varieties. It's more if a winter thing but we'll see what happens in a few months. I tend to give up over summer apart from water. Just too hot. I've done a fair bit the last month. I've always said people can't resist gardening at the beginning of spring. Its hardwired in our brains since we first domesticated plants.

I'm enjoying these big containers. I get lots of stuff wholesale from industry friends and my mobility isn't great at the moment so makes things much easier at that height. I saved all those seeds from a number if different varieties of lettuce. Pretty easy. Those photos were just what I had on my phone I can take better photos if people would like

I bought a thing:
WGktd8i.jpg

I made a thing:
Z9ZPwVG.jpg

And a previously-made thing is going well, see the basil seeds finally starting to sprout?!
O5N5FKE.jpg

Nice. I have hundreds of those stripey Hawerthia (there has been a name change of the genus... something attenufolia) they multiply well. I've been splitting one my now deceased grandma gave me for ten years or so.

My basil has been slow from seed too. Don't think its warm enough yet. I just pricked some out into boxes that I gave been growing to take to my mum. Bought her a punnet of rocket and the other box a mix of lettuce I germinated.

Good time here to get some pumpkins going neo. 90 frost free days... You probably have room for some Queensland Blues. I'm trialing some bush varieties and one I'm going to trellice because I fantasise about lardering hundreds of them but just dont gave the space

:)

My Persian beauties have done exceptionally well for me this year despite the wash - out in August.
I'm just about done harvesting and already looking forward to enjoying the result of my labour. 😊

Oh good glory of nature why am I wasting time in so many threads this is my jam here.

So I am not a flower guy but appreciate this hundred dollar Bougainvillea tropical climbing flower I got for free from work starting to work its way onto the side of the garage might share a pic before I have to bring it in for the winter anyways the only other flower I am proud about here is a Japanese Fantasy Red Riding Hood Windflower I planted out front.

Just started this year my edible stuff was neglected severely but I discovered how simple it can be to produce your own produce

no eye deer

you don't have fruit that's started yet on the melons?
Sorry i missed this but yeah we got three honeydew melons and some info from CFC to maybe get more next year. :)
Peace

they were just too small to see but if ya look closely ya can see the two.

I have been lax on fertilizing but the cherry tomatoes seem to respond strongly to just light and NPK. Oh well, I just threw everything together late in the season so it has turned out OK all things considered.

I've been enjoying the harvest so far. This is greek yogurt with tomato and chives from the garden. Then I add smoked paprika, cayenne, salt and mix it up. It makes a nice breakfast dip to have with toast.

harvest.jpg

I have been lax on fertilizing but the cherry tomatoes seem to respond strongly to just light and NPK. Oh well, I just threw everything together late in the season so it has turned out OK all things considered.

I've been enjoying the harvest so far. This is greek yogurt with tomato and chives from the garden. Then I add smoked paprika, cayenne, salt and mix it up. It makes a nice breakfast dip to have with toast.

harvest.jpg
I recommend adding a dash of lemon juice for extra freshness

there's an idea. i usually associate lemon juice with sweet dishes but maybe a bit of zest would go nicely with savoury too

there's an idea. i usually associate lemon juice with sweet dishes but maybe a bit of zest would go nicely with savoury too
Well I love Greek tzatziki and you make that from yoghurt, grated cucumber, chopped mint (mint gives it a real zing), bit of lemon juice, (NOT the zest, use a tsp of the juice), some garlic; and a pinch of salt, black pepper and sugar each (might sound counter - intuitive to add sugar to a savoury, but merely adding a little doesn't sweeten it, it just accentuates the flavour.)

PS I'm puzzled as to why you would associate lemon exclusively with sweet things. By itself it's tangy and acidic and not at all sweet. If you add a lot of sugar to counteract the sourness then it's great for desserts (I love lemon drizzle cake and ice cream). But it's also a key ingredient in just about every salad dressing. You need it when making either the Sicilian or the Chinese version of lemon chicken. Seafood absolutely loves a little squirt of it, especially when grilled. Anytime you need a touch of sharpness or a bit of a lift to savoury dish it's your go - to. (If you want my recipe for lemony kofte kebabs I'll be happy to share.)

Last edited:
My Kiwi berry, going strong. planted one year ago. They should taste like regular Kiwi's only they are the size of a Grape.

My 'Raspberry' Strawberry patch, next year if the circumstance's are good I expect to eat them daily for a while.

And as last my evergreen thorn less Blackberry, which I am eating atm. They look pink because the ones you see are not ready for consumption. They will turn black.

Last edited:
Ok so here is that cuke (top right lol). can anyone tell me wtf is going on with these plants?

And the cantalope - anything to feed em and make a lot of fruit? Most flowers fall off.
What is a 'cuke'?

The second question I can maybe answer. But you will have to reveal what kinda soil you are growing in.

Over here its Clay. And Lava starch will act as a time release nutrient releaser and texture enhancing agent. But it all depends on what the base you are growing in. Have you checked the Ph?
You can determine that by a simple purple Cabbage reaction.

Just dissolve some soil into water, add some extracted red/ purple Cabbage extract. This will determine the acidity or base properties of your soil. Check the procedure out you'll love it. Its DIY. (you could also use a Ph strip but its less fun) One thing don't grow consumables in ground formally used in the day lead was a normal all day thing. Mainly a problem in old places were people lived before the Lead, Aluminium and Asbest danger's were known.

Last edited:
Just another thought. I really need to start growing mushrooms. Ahhh..... How I miss!!! The window of time in which the changing of the seasons occurs ALWAYS makes me think of mushrooms, fondly.
Imo it's right up there w the best times to eat them. This as well as the thickest part of any particular season. Unbearably hot summer day, crazy cold and dark winter night etc. Now I'm just procrastinating. Gotta go✌️yo
They grow on the grinded Coffee after you brewed your morning fix with it. So what is holding you back, and what is holding me back? getting some spores is all that is required, or buying a mushroom kit, and grow.

Shitake's grow on a certain wood and can be placed on your balcony. Nothing that can hold us back growing our own food.

Oh yeah we own the building. Our three tents are like family more or less. They been there so long cause we don't jack up the rents. Everyones always telling us what people are getting for rent in nearby towns and how much money we could make if we only raised our rents 2 or 300$. What fucking everrrrrrr..... Lol fuck em. We never have vacancies and the smell of certain plants gets ignored along w my illicit fireworks endeavors. I'm thinking I like things the way they are lol! Sry rambling now. Trying to think of some way to out a smile on your face or get you laughing at something stupid (my specialty)😉
Your not off the hook yet buster❤️
You own a building yet you live in a tent, interesting. please elaborate. You must have a lot of free space to grow stuff.

i loved camping. But an abandoned place, as long as there is no mold, is equally attracting. For sleeping. Even a 2e WW bunker will do.