• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Galanga

hussness

Bluelighter
I just did a thread search and there isn't much on bluelight about galanga. I've heard in various places that it is used as a hallucinogen in Papua New Guinea, and also that it has sedative properties. Found on one site that it supposedly has riboflavin which is a substrate for the benzodiazepine receptor, and that it also includes para-methoxycinnamyl alcohol (which, according to the site, has nothing to do with its effects). Anyone know anything about this? Chemical composition, experiences, anything would be appreciated.

I guess that's what comes of starting a thread when you have pneumonia...lol

Galanga is in thai food, sometimes a cup in a meal... Thai doesn't trip people out.

Apparently the fresh root is used as a mild intoxicant - the stuff prepared for food use had chance to have lost all of the volatile oils that cause the intoxication.

i've chowed on fresh galangal, smells delicious.

also has some antiemetic value, similar to that of fresh ginger root.

BilZ0r said:
Thai doesn't trip people out.

hheh, i beg to differ. the content of capciacin and whatever other alks are present in the chilis of some Thai dishes i had there had me grabbed by the tongue titty on several unexpected occasions, or 'tripping balls' - moaning, swearing, drinking unreasonable amounts of water, cursing, with massive discharge from all sinuses and mucous membranes.

and we won't speak of the horror that is the immediate and lasting aftermath of holding your dongin while draining the dragon w/the same hand you ate the chilis with....

i know, i know, thats why you use the other hand to eat.

Last edited:
In the days when the lycaeum>erowid, I tried galanga(l) in large doses, several times, fresh and dried and I think the effects are very similar to ingesting large amount of ginger or peppers. There is a lot of heat, but I don't think it qualifies as recreational/entheogenic/psychedelic/etc.

ymmv

I've just seen experiences on erowid, and a lot of people on the kratom list seem to be interested in some kind of 15x galanga extract. Probably just internet hype though...

tongue titty?

and we won't speak of the horror that is the immediate and lasting aftermath of holding your dongin while draining the dragon w/the same hand you ate the chilis with....
Yeah I know that one... rubbing your eye, picking your nose...

I can beat you though... rubbing your eye with the hand you used to weight out pure capsaicin... whole new world of pain.

evlove said:
In the days when the lycaeum>erowid, I tried galanga(l) in large doses, several times, fresh and dried and I think the effects are very similar to ingesting large amount of ginger or peppers. There is a lot of heat, but I don't think it qualifies as recreational/entheogenic/psychedelic/etc.

ymmv

What exactly happens with high doses of ginger or peppers?

you need to extract it to get any effects, even then its 'i think im tripping but i cant describe how im tripping' type of trip.