• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Gabapentin for Cannabis Withdrawal?

hh95

Bluelighter
Hey BL,
Well I recently lost the plot. Completely. I will leave out the fine details but I landed myself strapped to a hospital gerney with a healthy shot of Midazolam in the fucking leg (which I might add fucking hurt) and it was like that for 3 days. Now im in detox and awaiting long term rehab to free myself of the restraints of substance abuse once and for all (famous last words). Anyways, I have UTFSE and suprisingly found little to no information on this topic aside from a few small studies regarding the efficacy of gabapentin to withdraw from cannabis. I was prescribed 100mg 3x a day and 5mg PRN valium upto 4x a day for my withdrawal symptoms. Point of this thread... Has anyone used gabapentin and/or Valium for withdrawals from cannabis and did it help at all with your symptoms?

As always thanks BL
HH95 :)

Mod note: I was tossing up on where to put this one, if you think it will do better elsewhere then please feel free to move it :)

How severe is your cannabis withdrawal? I was under the impression that even in chronic, heavy, regular users, pretty much the worst case scenario is 1~3 days of peak withdrawal effects and up to 2 weeks of residuals, situationally dependant of course.

Taking pretty much anything will take the edge off, just keep in mind that you don't want to use this as an opportunity to get a benzo addiction. My advice is suffer through the first couple days and focus on getting your appetite, sleep cycle and motivation back, while trying to find another distraction/activity to fill the time you spent smoking.

I've actually been in your shoes (lost plot, hospital, etc), minus the midazolam and plus some Haldol, and withdrawal from cannabis was something that was scoffed at. Nobody wanted to give me any drugs (not even diphenhydramine to help me sleep) after the lorazepam they fed me in ICU made me go nutso, though.

To be honest, if I were in your shoes I would pick one or the other - probably the diazepam - and take it only when I needed to attempt sleep, or if I was in an incredibly stressed panic state. Fill the other prescription and hold onto it :) - or maybe don't, if you're going to detox/rehab.

Is your WD from normal Cannabis products or from synthetic Cannabinoids?

I agree with sekio that you should be very careful with the Benzos. Trading a THC addiction to a Benzo addiction would be a horrible trade off.
IME Gabapentin can be very helpful for a lot of WDs from different drugs, so just try it :)

I am currently in the situation where I don't want to smoke anymore too. But I have smoked daily for a lot of years...so it will be hard.

Good luck dude!

Hey BL,
Well I recently lost the plot. Completely. I will leave out the fine details but I landed myself strapped to a hospital gerney with a healthy shot of Midazolam in the fucking leg (which I might add fucking hurt) and it was like that for 3 days. Now im in detox and awaiting long term rehab to free myself of the restraints of substance abuse once and for all (famous last words). Anyways, I have UTFSE and suprisingly found little to no information on this topic aside from a few small studies regarding the efficacy of gabapentin to withdraw from cannabis. I was prescribed 100mg 3x a day and 5mg PRN valium upto 4x a day for my withdrawal symptoms. Point of this thread... Has anyone used gabapentin and/or Valium for withdrawals from cannabis and did it help at all with your symptoms?

As always thanks BL

Mod note: I was tossing up on where to put this one, if you think it will do better elsewhere then please feel free to move it :)
Taper slowly. I use antihistamines for combatting the insomnia and hyperhidrosis. Hyperhidrosis leads to massive electrolyte imbalances when I abruptly withdraw cannabis (17 years of daily use). This causes splitting headaches and massive stomach cramps accompanied by diarrhea rivaled by opiate withdrawal.

Antihistamines really help a lot, I dare say they are much better than benzodiazepines for this scenario. The rebound insomnia will be next to non-existant compared to benzodiazepines, not to speak of the lack of addictive potential.

EDIT: Don't acquire a Gabapentin addiction either. The withdrawals are reportedly worse than ethanol and benzo withdrawals.

Last edited:
Whatever you do, don't trade a THC "addiction" for a benzo dependency. Thats basically trading a paper cut for a third degree burn.

Gabapentin is good for just about any withdrawal syndrome. Keeps your mind off the other stuff and the symptoms.

Well I have been a heavy smoker since age 13 (im now 20) so 7 years all up. I use approx. 1-2 grams a day at least (if finances allowed, I would go through a Q a day) so its been a pretty hefty habit, making matters more complicated I have been using ice sporadically for about a few years and have also battled the meth demon. I have consulted with my doctor and we have both agreed that I do not need antidepressants as they are not helpful at all after over a year of ineffective treatment with various SSRI's and Reboxetine (which got my heart upto 155bpm). I absolutely do not plan to trade a weed habit for a benzo habit. If I were to do that I might as well start shooting smack... That would just be shooting myself in the foot. I am in detox because I cant be trusted with detox drugs. Problems that are getting to me is there will be a wait for me in between detox and rehab so I will have to go home, when I go home ALL my dealers are within a 15 minute walk away and I am constantly surrounded by drug using siblings. So what im getting at here is, are these drugs gonna cut the mustard when the real triggers and temptations come when Im back in society? Obviously drugs arent the only tool and I will ofcourse be using cognitive and avoidance methods as much as possible but it is still freaking me out abit. I think its wrong that people "scoff" off cannabis withdrawal sekio. It can be one very hard habit to kick, particularly when it is introduced at a young age and you are a heavy user. I think its harder than meth to kick. Sure meth sucks more to quit, but, only for about a week then the withdrawals REALLY plateau out. Weed withdrawals last weeks, months or even years before some people can confidently say they do not crave a cone.

P.S Can someone direct me to somewhere I can go to learn how to quote as I am having trouble sussing it out cheers :)

Honestly comparing weed addiction to meth is a little silly. But I do agree there is a withdrawal. I've battled synthetic gas station weed addiction in my past. Now that's a real demon.