• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

GABA vs. Valerian Root

Kava as GABA-a receptor agonist, is in a very real sense, equivalent to benzos in all but potency, as dosage can be in the range of several grams for many people.

The use of theanine, taurine, glutamine, etc, does work to increase relaxation, though, do not expect immediate results, as the increase in GABA through these measures can take several days to several weeks. On the other hand, it generally is not tolerance building or habit forming.

Valerian root can be a good solution for many, as its effects are usually described as absent of any euphoria, and of course, the odor, as simple as it sounds, often discourages prolonged use, especially combined with its tolerance. Most people just can't get into the habit of consuming large amounts of something that smells so bad.

There are simple solutions as well. Various changes in diet, increasing foods in omega fatty acids such as nuts and fish. If you consume coffee or other caffeinated beverages, switching to tea, naturally high in L-theanine can make a difference. Drinking tea regulatily, early in the evening can often help, as when the caffeine wears off, the increased GABA levels from the absorbtion of theanine combine to take more relaxing effect.

I prefer GABA. Today i took 2.250g, for the first time, & it helped my anxiety much better then Valerian, and unlike valerian it don't has any side effects or sedation to it for me. Pure relaxation, feels more natural to me then any herbal relaxants, as well as more effective. One thing for sure, it helped with my social anxiety much much better then Valerian, passionflower, & even antidepressants, for sure. It's the best thing since I used benzos & I would recommend anyone who combats social or any anxiety or recovering from benzo habit to try GABA.

^^Its good with sublingual 5-meo-dmt, or when I am just to tense. Only active sublingually though, and disolving 2g of powder in your mouth is easier said than done

i'm clean now of drugs & alchohol for 7 & a half months & really aint looking for something that will give me some narcotic effects or euphoria or something, just something to lower my anxiety... so maybe that's why i do feel something from it... actually it helps me better than anti-depressants!

anyway thanks, i'm gonna try it sublingual maybe in the afternoon...

I prefer Valerian root in liquid form I think it works a lot faster. Only thing is it makes me have crazy dreams sometimes, lol

^^i really want to try it but it is virtually unexistant in israel & i don't have a credit card to buy it off the net... after learning about it a bit i think it can be perfect for me

my last bet is the bodybuilding supplements store... gotta check there

mulberryman said:
Phenibut is nice, but can be stimulating, especially in higher doses.

Really? In my (quite limited) experience, phenibut in higher doses can trigger drowsiness.

^^ i guess it's individual thing, like xanax can be stimulating sometimes for some ppl (like me)

i really want to get my hands on this stuff, but it's no commercialized into israel & i have no credit card to purchase it off the net...

one pharmacy said they can get it for me, & to just bring information from the net to them (they don't know what is this stuff, i told it's a food supplement that is a derivative of GABA) so maybe they will actually help me.

i have troube getting even l-theanine as it is too not commercialized or is vary rare in israel, i hope they will get it for me (i asked to invite it)

i want to take l-theanine with the GABA, & some l-phenylalanine too.

yeah them import restrictions are killer, its a little more lax here in the states, but alot still gets confiscated and returned that otherwise shouldn't be. Its crazy though, a package from Mexico or Panama gets pawed over for weeks and sent back even when its acceptable to import, while packages from Canada and the UK pass right through untouched.

in the beginning GABA did wonders for me. i felt it like an ativan. now, after 3 weeks of every day use it does nothing, i can't get any of the effects it gave in the beginning no matter how high of a dose i take. valerian works better now... it is not worth to keep taking it anymore untill the tolerance will come down...

I've never heard of mulungu, it sounds rare. Please do tell us more.

One use I've found for valerian is to counter the effects from too much caffeine. Isovaltrate is a direct oppositte of caffeine, and valerian has GABA in it, to boot.

what do you mean by 'has GABA in it'? yeah, it actually acts on GABA receptors, but the effects are different. though you can't develop a tolerance to valerian, while GABA supplement eventually stops working..

Valerian root contains GABA, in concentrations enough to have previously been thought as it primary psychoactive constituent. Its only been recently that it has been discovered to contain isovaltrate.