Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Friend has overdosed (non-fatal) in Thailand

Status
Not open for further replies.

CartoonHead

Bluelighter
Morning All,

I woke up to a message on my phone from a close friend who is currently on holiday in Thailand, about to return to Australia.

Their housemate from Australia (who was traveling with them) has overdosed (on a substance unknown to me at this stage) and has had to go to hospital in Thailand.

This is literally all the information I have right now, so I don't expect any detailed advice - but any tips, suggestions or experiences with a situation like this would be extremely helpful to me. Particularly any knowledge in regard to legal repercussions that may occur.

Again, I don't know the substance or the current state of the individual. I cannot currently get through to my friend via phone or facebook (the message came through while I was asleep about 6 hours ago)

I apologise for the vagueness and lack of information, I will update the thread as I learn more.

In the meantime, any advice in regard to dealing with a drug overdose (after getting them to a hospital) in Thailand would be much appreciated.

Well there are two major issues regarding an overdose.

Firstly is depressed breathing caused by the the drug or a blockage (i.e. vomit). This has major rammfications because it like a stroke it can cause severe brain damage. This is a really complex area and they'll need a specalist team to help them create a treatment plan i.e. physio when they get back to Australia. Usually short term memory suffers immensely.

Secondly the next issue is a cerebral hemorrhage. Basically bleeding in the brain. I suffered an overdose in my teenage years and this was the diagnosis. It was insanely painful. Imagine an elephant standing on your head. I don't now how this is treated by when the tirage cunt bitch finally had me admitted (basically when i passed out and collapsed on the ground) I found myself in a bed with tubes and what not shitting and vommitting for the next 8 hours. Long term its hard to say how it has affected me. I definitely didn't feel right for a few weeks but over the last 20 years I definitely haven't noticed anything. The brain even in adulthood grows new neurons/cells. There are ways to stimulate this growth (and depress it). The younger your friend is the better the diagnosis will be in terms of long term damage.

There could be other problems and issues but I would definitely move heaven and earth to get your friend out of the Thai hospital. Especially if he has travellers insurance. South East Asian hospitals are known to keep rich western patients as long as they can because of the money these patients represent. Definitely call your friends travellers insurance provider to get them working immediately for a medevac out asap.

If your friend doesn't have health insurance he'll need money to get discharged and you need to get him on a plane asap (subject to medical advice on moving him). IF he isn't dead I can't imagine there is an issue with moving him but you might want to consult an Australian doctor.

This will be quite difficult to do from Australia. Someone needs to probably go over there and forcibly get him out of the hospital as the staff will do everything they can to hold him. Also there could be a risk of your friend facing charges and what not for drug possession. Quite problamatic.

Makes you wondering if hiring a thai "fixer" might be prudent. Maybe look up a Thai lawyer and retain their services so they can negotiate with the police if its gone to that space. Lastly - whatever you do - do not get the media involved. It will fuck with your negotiations with law enforcement if it has gone that far.

Aaah so it seems in my early morning state I got the wrong end of the stick from my friend's panicked message.

The housemate was in AUSTRALIA when he overdosed - not Thailand.

Apologies for the confusion, Chuggs thank you for your response - contains some useful info regardless.

Mods, close if you want - or I guess leave open or merge with the SE Asia drugs thread, perhaps it will generate some more useful discussion in regards to what to do if you OD in a foreign country?

Yeah, not gonna lie, I was shitting it. Just out of interest - is there anyone in Aus DD who has had experience/whose friends have had experience with getting into trouble with drugs anywhere in South East Asia? Or, for that matter, anywhere overseas? I'd be interested to hear stories/advice/etc in general.

I'm heading to the Latin American area later in the year so any experiences w/Cuba etc much appreciated.

@Cartoon head....good to hear your mate was in Australia.

I wouldn't get high in a 3rd world country but that said south america has a huge amount of coke and its availability is easy.

Though I believe Cuba is the one exception to this.

Thank god for your mate! Death sentence for possession over there.
Sorry mate but its not a death sentence for possession in Thailand unless you have serious quantity of something. If you dont bribe your way out you will however get a few years in a Thai prison. But not death...thats just total bullshit.

Hey guys, i aplreciate your imput here and the discussion that has taken place.
But i think the answers have essentially been answered, so i'm going to go ahead and close it

Any concerns, Catroon head, just drop me a pm.
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.